Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

AUTOWEEK of Sept 2 little blurb about the Camaro and Mr. SS and a 5th gen a go??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 12:10 AM

Question AUTOWEEK of Sept 2 little blurb about the Camaro and Mr. SS and a 5th gen a go??

I nthe Sep.2 issue of Autoweek on page 22 bottom left hand corner..
"Not one of the nearly 200 owners displaying a car at the GM hosted 35th annv. event at Huntington beach, Ca. accused the automaker of loving them and leaving them, Camaro product manager Scott Settlemire....says " Camaor owners have the highest loyalty of all GM owners." S.S. was popular as he autographed cars, answered tech. questions and !!PROMISED!! that the NEXT CAMARO would be true to its "muscular V8, RWD DNA"..and soo on in the article about the show...

by
Patrick Paterine..

What ya think guys??? is somehting brewing that will have Mr.S seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for a 5th gen..is it possible?? just wondering if they just peiced words together..Red any confirmation on what was said in the article exactly?????he he he

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 09-04-2002, 05:52 AM

Seriously guys, we should all know by now that the Camaro will be back, its just a matter of time. And its probably going beat out any competition that trys to challenge it, whatever it might be at the time, Chevrolet style. Do you really think if there was an 03 Camaro F**d's S/Ced M*****g would be the faster car?! LOL, don't think so, not if GM could have helped it, and its not gonna be any different a few years from now. Keep looking out F**d and M*****g, because the best is gonna come back and take all again. That means you to Pontiac GTO and whoever else.

------------------
Camaro/Chevrolet crazy F-Body lunatic.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited September 04, 2002).]
Old 09-04-2002, 11:50 AM

We know a Camaro's comming, it's just the timing that is a bit disturbing.

I don't share the belief, knowing a bit of what Ford has planned for the new Mustang, that Chevrolet will be able to jump in after an absence of 2 years, and do anything to dull the momemtum from what will likely be a Mustang craze.

There will be alot of people like me (who didn't buy a 2002 Camaro because it's identical to what they have) who will be in the market for a new fast RWD coupe, and except GTO, GM will be MIA.

That's alot of potential sales, along with those import buyers Ford's aiming to snag.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:11 AM

Red face

well that "when" could be an "If" if its too long on the drawing board. Thats what I am thinkin..grrr.. was just wondering hes now making statments now that the 2002 are now done..we going to see more positive 5th gen news..hmmm

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 09-05-2002, 11:35 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by guionM:
We know a Camaro's comming, it's just the timing that is a bit disturbing.

I don't share the belief, knowing a bit of what Ford has planned for the new Mustang, that Chevrolet will be able to jump in after an absence of 2 years, and do anything to dull the momemtum from what will likely be a Mustang craze.

There will be alot of people like me (who didn't buy a 2002 Camaro because it's identical to what they have) who will be in the market for a new fast RWD coupe, and except GTO, GM will be MIA.

That's alot of potential sales, along with those import buyers Ford's aiming to snag.
</font>
Ok I haven’t really posted in a while but I’ve been reading almost everyday, and Like always GuionM you make some very good points and I agree with you here. But history tends to repeat itself. And the original Camaro came out about 3 years after the Mustang. By that time I'm sure you know the Mustang was selling comparable to what it is selling today. A LOT! Chevy saw this then, looked at what the Mustang was, then improved upon it in every aspect, making the perfect muscle/pony car. The Camaro exploded into the scene with no problem then. Basically until the 4th gen it did just fine. But we all Know the politics of that and it is a different topic. (BTW I’m not bashing on the 4th Gen, its my own fav) But anyway back to the point. When GM decides to get back into the game I have no doubt it will be just like before, The best affordable performance car on the market. Its sad it may be a few years until hit’s the streets but we know its coming and good things take time.… And Ill wait for it.

------------------
Stefan

1995 3.4L Camaro, Mystic Metallic Green, M5, 3.23’s, T-tops, every option except the V8

Ignore the future mods on my site, my plans have changed.
See my car here:
http://members.tripod.com/stars101010/

Best time: 10.7 @ 63mph in the 1/8 mile

[This message has been edited by stars1010 (edited September 05, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by stars1010 (edited September 05, 2002).]
Old 09-05-2002, 04:52 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stars1010:
And the original Camaro came out about 3 years after the Mustang. By that time I'm sure you know the Mustang was selling comparable to what it is selling today. A LOT! Chevy saw this then, looked at what the Mustang was, then improved upon it in every aspect, making the perfect muscle/pony car. </font>
Actually, the first Mustangs sold a a rate well over double their current rate. (Hard to believe, since it seems like they are everywhere). They sold at a rate greater than the best selling car today, and that number was only because it was all Ford could make. By the time the Camaro marched onto the scene in the fall of 1966, they had sold about 1 MILLION Mustangs. Fast forward to now: Seems like the performance market is primed to explode - history repeating itself - which is why GM needs a 5th gen NOW.

------------------
Never trust anyone with lots of plants.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT
2000 Jetta M5
1988 C1500 A3
Old 09-05-2002, 08:44 PM

Actually, till Ford Fairmont came out, Mustang held the all time record for one years sales, which Camaro was never able to catch till the 1980s & 90s. Mustang sold 559,451 cars for 1965 ALONE ! 1966 was even better at 607,568 . Camaro stole some thunder in 67, but was still behind:

In 1967:
Mustang: 474,121
Camaro: 220,906
Firebird: 86,560

and 1968:
Mustang: 317,404
Camaro: 235,147
Firebird:107,112

Mustang kept the upper hand till the much loved MustangII came out, when sales once again exploded.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:52 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by guionM:
Actually, till Ford Fairmont came out, Mustang held the all time record for one years sales
</font>
Actually, before Fairmont there was Maverick . (Yuck).

A total of 578,914 1970 Mavericks (including 69.5) were produced.

The Maverick broke the first-year sales record set by the Mustang in 1965.

To put these numbers in perspective:

2001 Best selling cars:

Honda Accord - 414,718
Toyota Camry - 390,449
Ford Taurus - 353,560
Honda Civic - 331,041

[This message has been edited by WERM (edited September 05, 2002).]
Old 09-05-2002, 09:45 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WERM:
Actually, before Fairmont there was Maverick . (Yuck).
</font>
Heeeey! My first car was a '72 Maverick. 4 door with the straight 6. What a fine car! Only reason I had it was because it was a hand-me-down with only 15k miles when I started driving in '94. Maybe part of the reason why I became a Chevy guy?

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:12 PM

Thumbs up

First of all, why do people always get off the topic? The topic was originally about the next CAMARO coming out. Then for some reason the topic changed to how many mustangs were produced. WHO GIVES A MAD HOW MANY FREAKIN' mustangs WERE MADE. WHETHER IT WAS ONE OR FIVE MILLION, THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS...THEY STILL SUCK!!!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:08 AM

We already discussed a while back about the sales figures of the Camaro versus the Mustang and who sold more. Practically, its a useless piece of trivia.