Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Boss Mustang: It's coming.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bossco
Ford had some pretty tight cost targets to meet with the 5.0 so I dont think its nessecarily a case of GM falling behind on port injection. Rather GM is ultimately putting all thier eggs in the DI basket where the 5.0 guys had to figure out a way of getting 9/10ths the performance of DI at 5/10ths the price. Once they get their ROI on the 5.0, Ford will probably implement DI.
So that bit about not seeing significant gains was just BS?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
From the way I understand it the gains from DI come from being able to up the compression. I could be wrong though.

And the new 5.0 uses some direct injection tech in the motor. Just not full on DI yet.

The Ford 5.0 engineers said just adding DI and nothing else was worth about a 1% gain in hp, if I remember correctly.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sax1031
From the way I understand it the gains from DI come from being able to up the compression. I could be wrong though.

And the new 5.0 uses some direct injection tech in the motor. Just not full on DI yet.

The Ford 5.0 engineers said just adding DI and nothing else was worth about a 1% gain in hp, if I remember correctly.
I agree with Jakerobb something seems amiss. GM said that adding DI to the LS3 would bring the horsepower up to 480ish IIRC.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Not according to Ford engineers on a naturally aspirated engine...

High boost capability was also protected in the 5.0L's design in the form of heavier main webbing in the cylinder block and optimized head fastener sizes and locations. According to Ford engineers, the greater benefits of direct injection are in supercharged and turbocharged applications. In normally aspirated engines, the advantage may be in the range of 1 percent, they say. But it's good to know that Ford has incorporated the capability for direct injection and significant boost levels into the 5.0L's basic architecture. And it's also good to know the company has let us know. That means maybe we should plan on seeing such an engine at some point in the future. It's possible.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...apability.html
Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
GM said that adding DI to the LS3 would bring the horsepower up to 480ish IIRC.
Interesting number when you consider the "hot cam" version of the LS3 makes ~480hp.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Does anyone know if GM has the "COPO" name tradmarked? After RS, SS, Z/28, does Camaro have the names to match up with Mustang? Seems like Ford has a slew of Shelby derivatives along with GT, Mach I, Boss, heck even SVO. GM has the COPO cars, granted they weren't badged as such, and a few names that don't stir much emotion like Type LT and Berlinetta. I don't see IROC having much relavance (do they even run the IROC race anymore?), and Yenko/Nickey/Dana have always struck me as "tuner" packages.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
Does anyone know if GM has the "COPO" name tradmarked? After RS, SS, Z/28, does Camaro have the names to match up with Mustang? Seems like Ford has a slew of Shelby derivatives along with GT, Mach I, Boss, heck even SVO. GM has the COPO cars, granted they weren't badged as such, and a few names that don't stir much emotion like Type LT and Berlinetta. I don't see IROC having much relavance (do they even run the IROC race anymore?), and Yenko/Nickey/Dana have always struck me as "tuner" packages.
"COPO" isn't a name and was never sold as a brand. It stands for Central Office Production Order and was used mainly on fleet vehicles included taxis and police sedans. Furthermore, they weren't just COPO Camaros, the variations actually had a number, usually COPO 9561 or 9560. Some of the Yenko et al tuner packages actually were COPOs.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
"COPO" isn't a name and was never sold as a brand. It stands for Central Office Production Order and was used mainly on fleet vehicles included taxis and police sedans. Furthermore, they weren't just COPO Camaros, the variations actually had a number, usually COPO 9561 or 9560. Some of the Yenko et al tuner packages actually were COPOs.
Oh I'm aware of the COPO history, I just wandered if it could transition into "performance" trim level considering the scarcity of Camaro brands.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
Oh I'm aware of the COPO history, I just wandered if it could transition into "performance" trim level considering the scarcity of Camaro brands.
I thought "SS" was the Camaro "performance" trim level.

Personally, I think there's already more than enough Camaro "brands" with LS, LT, SS and Z/28.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
I agree with Jakerobb something seems amiss. GM said that adding DI to the LS3 would bring the horsepower up to 480ish IIRC.
DI might give different results for different configurations. There is more freedom to ideally position the (direct) injector on an OHV head than there is on a DOHC, which doesn't have a lot of head room. This is especially true on the Coyote DOHC V8, which has twin spark plugs/cylinder which only adds to the complexity of teeing up with DI.

Anyway, I think a lot of GM GenV's reputed horsepower gains would come from positioning the pushrods outside the line of the intake ports.

Note, the above is not fact, just my brain tickin'.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 PM

The Coyote 5.0 was designed with DI in mind. Ford will have zero problems adding DI later down the road.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 PM

Personally, I think there's already more than enough Camaro "brands" with LS, LT, SS and Z/28.
I wouldn't mind seeing a nicely done Berlinetta. Actually, the 2SS comes pretty close to this.

I really think the Camaro can do fine with three clearly deliniated models.
1) Budget GT.
2) Luxury GT.
3) Performance GT.

Last edited by Z284ever; 05-17-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 PM

No, Ford's fuel injection scheme is about as close to DI as a port injected engine can get so there will be no big gains when/if they do implement it.

Despite being a port injected engine, its closer in operation to a DI engine since fuel is injected directly into the combustion space as opposed to firing at the back side of a closed valve just before it opens.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 AM

Not even, Ford stretched the same unibody chassis that had under-pinned the 67-70 Mustangs so they could fit the 429 in the car. The Torino wheel base was 117" for the Coupe as opposed to the 109" Wheel base on the 71-73 Mustang. They shared alot of parts though, so I could see where the confusion is (control arms and rear ends being the most obvious).
Unibody, as an intermediate, you would think the Torino would be BOF.
The 71 Mustang was also modified to fit the 429, right? I presume that meant adding room between the shock towers, as the 429 was reputed to be quite a bit larger than the 428.

I sort of figured that the '71 Mustang was the equivalent of a SWB Torino, sort of like the '10 Camaro is an SWB Commodore. Regardless of how they got there (starting from the '70 Mustang and enlarging rather than starting from the '70 Torino and shrinking), the result was the biggest Mustang ever.

Unfortunately, there were very few tests of the Boss 351, due to the death of muscle cars. It was likely one of the top 3 musclecars of 1971.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting number when you consider the "hot cam" version of the LS3 makes ~480hp.
I find such coincidences relatively uninteresting.

You consider LS and LT to be "brands" of Camaro? I think that's taking it a bit far.

Quick Reply: Boss Mustang: It's coming.