Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Boss Mustang: It's coming.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Boss 302 and Boss 429 (street versions) were both "forced" production units that were results of racing directives. The Boss 302 was required to homologate the Boss 302 competition car in the Trans-Am series - I think B-class required at least 100 units to be produced and sold to the public. The BOSS 429 was the same situation except that engine was designed 100% for NASCAR use and only the engine/drivetrain was required to be produced and offered for sale to the public for homologation - again I think the minimum was 500 engines for this one. Both of these were spurred by the Racing program at Ford and both took place simultaneously. One did not follow the other chronologically or in product development of any kind. The only curious thing about the Boss 429 was that Ford decided to use a Mustang to house the homologation engines and sell to the public instead of using a Torino/Cyclone which was actually the cars that would be using those engines in NASCAR. That was the bizzarre action on the part of Ford. It should be noted however that there are a SCARCE few Cyclone Spoilers produced with the 429 Semi-Hemi mill under the hood too. (huge Cha-Ching for these rare cars today)
Easy answer here, all corked up, the Boss 429 was a PIG, even in the Mustang. Do the bolt on thing (full exhaust, intake, carb, cam) and the engine would respond very well (to put it mildly) - so long as you were running the **** out of it.

My memory is foggy on which came first though, I thought the solid lifter Boss 429s were introdiced in 69 and the hydraulic lifter cars in 70, but I've read it was hydraulic in 69 and solid in 70 (I may be confusing the Boss with the Chrysler Hemi whcih was solid then hydraulic).

* There was actually a 1971 version of the Boss 302 - at least inside the walls of Ford. Concept was done in early 1970 and there are pictures of the car floating around. The incredible performance and durability of the 351-C in basically the same packaging simply convinced planners to go with the 351-C for 1971 instead of the 302, but the Boss 302 was conceptualized and mocked-up by Ford.
Didn't know that

* The reason behind Mustang getting bigger and the fantastic engine programs at Ford from 1968 until 1971 was a "GM reason". He was a pushing force for the racing program as a whole, and was a proponet for the Boss program in general. This same former GM employee working at Ford signed an executive order requiring a last-minute redesign of the 1971 Mustang to house the 429-SCJ. He literally over-rode a Lee Iacocca decision to make it happen. Anyone remember the GM guy that did this?!?!
Semon " Bunkie" Knudson I beleive
Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by extreme79z
Who knows? That race may be a lot closer than you'd expect.

I betcha it'll be a close race in acceleration. But the Boss may weigh more than a quarter ton less than the Z/28 , so handling won't even be close. And the Boss will do it all for the price of a loaded SS.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
* The reason behind Mustang getting bigger and the fantastic engine programs at Ford from 1968 until 1971 was a "GM reason". He was a pushing force for the racing program as a whole, and was a proponet for the Boss program in general. This same former GM employee working at Ford signed an executive order requiring a last-minute redesign of the 1971 Mustang to house the 429-SCJ. He literally over-rode a Lee Iacocca decision to make it happen. Anyone remember the GM guy that did this?!?!
Proud, thanks for the history lesson -- not just the quoted part, but the whole post. For whatever reason, my knowledge of Torinos, 3rd gen Mustangs, and Ford engines, is lacking. To me, it seems like the '70-'72 Torino and '71 Mustangs, and the 351/429 engines never came close to their potential, and their greatness was never appreciated.

At any car show, you're lucky to see a '70+ Torino, and you'll see only one or two 3rd gen Mustangs, but a whole bunch of 1st and 2nd gen Mustangs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the 429 had the potential for the same sort of rep as the LS6 454 and the 440 or perhaps even the Hemi. I suppose being around for only 1-2 years and being sold in tiny numbers didn't help.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Semon " Bunkie" Knudson I beleive
That was my guess too.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
This is true. still two inches longer than the current car which is the same width, but a few inches shorter)
Here's a 71 and a 2010 side by side...

http://qupload.com/images/1971.jpg

http://qupload.com/images/19712.jpg
Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by yellow_99_gt
The new one is bigger than I thought!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
Anyone care to elaborate on why we have been comparing a most likely 440HP NA Boss to a 556HP Supercharged Camaro?
Because Boss and Z28 used to compete directly, and people want a Camaro Z28 that has the same spirit as the one that competed with Boss.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
The new one is bigger than I thought!
Yeah, I never much cared for the Mustang after 1970. They got big and ugly (sorry Proud!). Then I look at those pictures and it's quite an eye-opener because I don't consider the current Mustang to be a "huge" car (though surely it has grown since the Fox/SN95 days).
Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Yeah, I never much cared for the Mustang after 1970. They got big and ugly (sorry Proud!). Then I look at those pictures and it's quite an eye-opener because I don't consider the current Mustang to be a "huge" car (though surely it has grown since the Fox/SN95 days).
I think the current Mustang is too big. But as I've said previously, it gets a free pass thanks to the Camaro, which is a worse offender.

The more Genesis Coupes I see driving through traffic, the more 'pony car sized' I think it looks. Mustang and Camaro have gotten way too bulky.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Because Boss and Z28 used to compete directly, and people want a Camaro Z28 that has the same spirit as the one that competed with Boss.
And they will be compared directly to each other again, regardless of GM's fixation on the 2005 GT500.

The Z/28 will pack maybe 100 more horsepower, 600 more pounds and $10,000 more cost.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
And they will be compared directly to each other again, regardless of GM's fixation on the 2005 GT500.

The Z/28 will pack maybe 100 more horsepower, 600 more pounds and $10,000 more cost.
Why would it get compared to the 2007 GT500 (I know it was an honest mistake)? Wouldn't it get compared to a 2012 GT500? In actuality that makes it look a lot worse for the Z28, considering the 2012 GT500 will weight about the same as the 2012 SS!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM

The more Genesis Coupes I see driving through traffic, the more 'pony car sized' I think it looks. Mustang and Camaro have gotten way too bulky.
I saw a trio of three generations of BMW 3-series coupes in row commuting to work yesterday Charlie and I immediately thought of you. Now you're saying the Mustang is too big? All cars have gotten bulky my friend. Comparing the older 3-series with the current version the same holds true. Safety requirements and people themselves growing larger has driven this. Heck even compare an older Honda Civic with today's version. Its simple evolution.

My only issue with the Genesis Coupe (saw a yellow one yesterday btw) is in my opinion the designers messed up the lines of an alright car with the droopy rear windows. As I said before, I would like to see what the boys at Kia would do with the Genesis platform.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
Why would it get compared to the 2007 GT500 (I know it was an honest mistake)? Wouldn't it get compared to a 2012 GT500? In actuality that makes it look a lot worse for the Z28, considering the 2012 GT500 will weight about the same as the 2012 SS!

Doh!

Either way, it won't be pretty for the home team.

I said 2007 GT500 because that's what the Camaro team has been obsessed with as far as creating a Z/28 package.

Last edited by Z284ever; 05-19-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I saw a trio of three generations of BMW 3-series coupes in row commuting to work yesterday Charlie and I immediately thought of you. Now you're saying the Mustang is too big? All cars have gotten bulky my friend. Comparing the older 3-series with the current version the same holds true. Safety requirements and people themselves growing larger has driven this. Heck even compare an older Honda Civic with today's version. Its simple evolution.

My only issue with the Genesis Coupe (saw a yellow one yesterday btw) is in my opinion the designers messed up the lines of an alright car with the droopy rear windows. As I said before, I would like to see what the boys at Kia would do with the Genesis platform.

Oh, I've always thought the new Mustang was too big. I was pretty vocal about it on this site too - hoping the Camaro wouldn't follow suit. Of course it did, and then some. I thought the last Mustang was just about the perfect size. Park a GT500 next to a '03/'04 Cobra and the difference is dramatic. Park anything next to a Camaro though.... Last weekend, I saw a new Camaro parked next to '67 Chevelle. The Camaro's front fender looked almost as tall as the Chevelle's roofline. I just can't stand that - from either the Mustang or Camaro.

As far as the Genesis, sure there are certain aspects of it's styling I find unappealing (the rear quarter windows you mentioned for one). Nevertheless I like it's proportions, and in traffic it looks like a jet fighter flying through a formation of transports.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Doh!

Either way, it won't be pretty for the home team.

I said 2007 GT500 because that's what the Camaro team has been obsessed with as far as creating a Z/28 package.
I'm sure they knew about the AL motor. Ford's been working on it for a couple of years. That alone makes a huge difference, even if you don't take into account the suspension/braking improvements. I know a couple of the SVT/Roush guys and they really hit a home run on the GT500, especially considering how limited the resources have gotten.

I expect a media explosion over the next 2 months regarding GT500. I liken it to a "climax"

Quick Reply: Boss Mustang: It's coming.