Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Boss Mustang: It's coming.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
By the time you finish adding 5 pounds here, 2 pounds there, a pound somewhere else, another few pounds somewhere else, and on and on, a 3900 pound Camaro SS can easily turn into a 4100 pound Z28.

To be honest, it would be a minor miracle if the thing weighs less.

But don't simply take our word for it.
I'm too busy right now to do anything other than take your and Charlie's word for this. You both mention 4100, which is 250 more than the GT500. Oh well, at least it's a little closer percentage-wise. (I like to look for silver linings, what can I say?)
Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 AM

I always enjoy reading your posts, Guy. Just one point of clarification....

...Challenger is plenty quick, looks plenty good, has plenty of room, and gets the best V8 fuel economy of the 3 even with a Hemi (look it up), ....
I did.

2010 Challenger 5.7L Manual = 15/24
2010 Camaro 6.2L Manual = 16/24
2011 Mustang 5.0L Manual = 17/26

2010 Challenger 5.7L Auto = 16/25
2010 Camaro 6.2L Auto = 16/25
2011 Mustang 5.0L Auto = 18/25

To add, the 5.7L Hemi is way down on power to both the Chevy and the Ford. Completely concur with the looks (it is my favorite of the 3 in that dept) and space.

I have not seen any 2011 Challenger numbers yet. I know some changes are in the works, so perhaps MPG will be one of them.

Sources:
www.fueleconomy.gov
media.ford.com (could not find 2011 numbers on the .gov site)
Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 AM

I was reading the old M/T Charger SRT8 vs. GT500 article and was surprised to see the GT500 beat out the SRT8 on fuel economy as well.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I did.
I did too, the last time Guy made that claim, and I called him on it then. It was months ago.

Apparently this claim is something he just can't get out of his head. I don't think it's ever been true!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
. I like the work going on with the weight - good start. Now lets shave some inches around the waist (which would help weight tremendously by default), drop that greenhouse a bit, and slide a bunch of the featured crap over into the "options" column and put checkboxes beside them. To the theme of this thread (and not just a wild rant), THIS is what I'm hoping the new Boss is indicating - a beginning for another change. 2014 is a good ways off - I think there's ample time to get the message across.
I agree with this part a whole bunch Proud. I hope we're on the verge of a new era for our pony cars. Smaller, lighter, lower, less bulky, easier to own and live with.

The bitter, bitter irony here...and I almost hate to type it....is that we can give the upcoming draconian CAFE alot of credit for this.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I did too, the last time Guy made that claim, and I called him on it then. It was months ago.

Apparently this claim is something he just can't get out of his head. I don't think it's ever been true!
No, actually it was based on early estimates on the Camaro when it first came out. If you called me on it, I probably missed it since I don't visit here much anymore (I always recheck when there's a question like that brought up).

For the record, the EPA rates Camaro V8 automatic at 15 mpg, not 16. Plus, the paint on the new 5.0 Mustang is barely dry, so (as was the case with my early Camaro numbers) until the EPA posts numbers on the site, one should probably not go by the numbers (see...I do learn from mistakes ). I recall the Camaro's V6 numbers also got a bump after the car started showing up in showrooms, so I should have rechecked all 3 powerplants.

Otherwise, I stand corrected.

Last edited by guionM; 05-20-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM

...For the record, the EPA rates Camaro V8 automatic at 15 mpg, not 16.....
Dang I hate to be split hairs with ya, but EPA does indeed have Camaro 6.2L A6 at 16 mpg city. Here's a direct link: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008c...umn=1&id=26430

No offense intended.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 PM

for the record..the 1971 prototype boss 302 was located several years ago....personally i think challenger has the better outside looks but the interior is ghastly..hopefully that is corrected this fall...the camaro in my opinion suffers from crappy gut as well..the mustang looks pathetic in the rear.....i dont own anything *** but old vintage hodaka's and a few hondas thrown in for good measure...my dodge ram is now 9 years old and been paid for since day 1...i am not paying msrp with huge markup for any boss or z28..so with that looks like challenger is the winner..money talks with me and well you all know BS walks....course when 6.4L hemi arrives expect markup on that as well...i think i will just stick to trucks and my *** bikes..safer and cheaper that way..though i cant fault any of the above cars and am glad they are here...
Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I agree with this part a whole bunch Proud. I hope we're on the verge of a new era for our pony cars. Smaller, lighter, lower, less bulky, easier to own and live with.

The bitter, bitter irony here...and I almost hate to type it....is that we can give the upcoming draconian CAFE alot of credit for this.
The initial vehicle cost to get us lighter, more fuel efficient pony cars will increase purchase price. So CAFE increases cost to own. The consumer is saddled with the cost simply to enter.

It's proven many times over, if it's cheap to drive people do a lot of it.

If the result in CAFE makes it more efficient to drive (ie cheaper to drive a given mile) people will end up driving more. We gain in efficiency, but yet drive more. We still us X barrels of oil. In the end CAFE fails on it's premise as in total we never use less.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Derek M
In the end CAFE fails on it's premise as in total we never use less.
Yeah, I don't think you'll find anyone here who likes or agrees with CAFE and its promises.

Cars are exponentially cleaner and more efficient today than they were 30-40 years ago, yet we're using more oil than we ever have and today's vehicles are blamed for "climate change".
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Derek M
The initial vehicle cost to get us lighter, more fuel efficient pony cars will increase purchase price. So CAFE increases cost to own. The consumer is saddled with the cost simply to enter.

It's proven many times over, if it's cheap to drive people do a lot of it.

If the result in CAFE makes it more efficient to drive (ie cheaper to drive a given mile) people will end up driving more. We gain in efficiency, but yet drive more. We still us X barrels of oil. In the end CAFE fails on it's premise as in total we never use less.
I agree completely....
Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Add to that, not only are people driving more, but there are more vehicles on the road. Yes something needs to be done to decrease our dependency on oil. Yes there will be vehicles in the future using alternative fuels and or energy sources (e.g. biofuels and EVs). However, the majority of those vehicles making the biggest impacts will not be what we have traditionally called ponycars or muscle cars.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
However, the majority of those vehicles making the biggest impacts will not be what we have traditionally called ponycars or muscle cars.
I'm fine with that, the blandmobiles are where the greatest improvement should be made and can be had.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
The best Boss was never raced in Trans-Am with Factory backing - Boss 351 - because Ford pulled out in 1971.
That was the fastest, best-handling car direct from Ford until the 2003 Terminator Cobras.
Best handling relative to what? The times?

I have to believe pretty much any of the Cobra R's, especially the 2000 Cobra R were better. Honestly, with the advancements in brakes, chassis stiffness, steering, suspension design, etc. I would think even a 2001 Cobra would be faster (on a road course atleast). Maybe even a 97' or 98' Cobra?

On one of the hotrod shows years ago they ran examples of all the old muscle cars down the track and the Boss was the fastest of the bunch (not sure if it was a 302 or 351) but it still only ticked off a mid 13 second pass. These were fully restored orginial cars.

I think many times we make the old muscle cars out to be more than they are. Cars today are a completely different animal.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 PM

That would have been the Boss 351. And I agree, the 2000 R would be quicker/faster, though production was extremely limited

Quick Reply: Boss Mustang: It's coming.