Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

BREAKING: Ford announces it will build all-new Police Interceptor for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:33 AM

BREAKING: Ford announces it will build all-new Police Interceptor for 2011

In a surprise move, Ford has announced that it will pursue the development of an all-new Police Interceptor model. The move comes on the heels of General Motors' announcement that it plans to challenge the Crown Victoria's law enforcement dominance with its own heavy-duty Chevrolet Caprice sedan.

Details are slim, but Ford says the forthcoming PI will arrive in 2011 and it will sport durability, safety, and performance parameters that are superior to that of the Jurassic Panther-platform Crown Vic. Given the relatively tight timeframe and durability targets, we have to assume that the replacement cop car could be based on the rear-drive Australian-market Ford Falcon shown above. The Blue Oval promises that the car will be engineered and built in America, so it could also be an Ecoboost version of the Ford Taurus (as seen in the SHO), but front-drive cars have had trouble meeting the durability and cost requirements of police duty in the past, making this something of an open question. In an official release posted after the jump, Ford says it will disclose full vehicle specs in the first quarter of 2010, which should give enough time for both law enforcement and police vehicle equipment manufacturers to prepare for the changeover.

Ford says it presently shifts about 45,000 of the 60,000 police cars sold in the States each year, so it makes sense that Dearborn would not be willing to cede this market to Chevy's Caprice and the already established Dodge Charger.
Press Release at the link
Old 11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Kick ***!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:15 PM

That Carbon car is going to have a very hard time in this market.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:43 PM

When I hear Ford Falcon and Interceptor in the same sentance, its hard not to think of...

Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Hmmm, my thoughts are it will be the new Taurus. But I suppose that their is enough time to tool up a factory here to build Falcons.

Are Falcons certified for NA? I thought I read somewhere that they are.

What is Fords plans for the factory in Canada that builds Crown Vic/PI after 2011?
Old 11-13-2009, 01:23 PM

i'll **** my pants if i saw that with red and blue lights.... lol
Old 11-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
When I hear Ford Falcon and Interceptor in the same sentance, its hard not to think of...

Agreed.

Good for Ford!
Old 11-13-2009, 02:15 PM

Think about a plant, in the US, that builds a RWD vehicle, that has flex lines and extra capacity.

Apparently Ford has been in serious talks with Law Enforcement, about what they want............ thus, I doubt they are all shouting "FWD!!!"

Another interesting point, both the Mustang, and the Falcon, are up for redesign about the same time................. hmmmm.

See, it would appear that Ford combed over their Q3 results, and liked what they saw. Thus, it allowed them to be a little............... shall we say................ creative.

Said project will not be horribly expensive.............. and will probably also spawn a niche vehicle that us normal folk can buy. Woo Hoo !!!!

Disclaimer: This information comes from a person who has much more intimate information on Ford, than I could ever hope to have. He has hinted on this for a while now.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Even without insider info, we all had to speculate this was coming...Did we really think Ford was going to give up on Uncle Sam's car buying habits?

Ford could really pull this off...maybe the Falcon and Mustang will share similar platforms?

Or, they could really blow it, and we could end up with the Transit Connect as a SWAT van.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Hmmm, my thoughts are it will be the new Taurus. But I suppose that their is enough time to tool up a factory here to build Falcons.
I believe they've already talked about a Taurus based police vehicle next year. This is something entirely different.

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
Think about a plant, in the US, that builds a RWD vehicle, that has flex lines and extra capacity.

Apparently Ford has been in serious talks with Law Enforcement, about what they want............ thus, I doubt they are all shouting "FWD!!!"

Another interesting point, both the Mustang, and the Falcon, are up for redesign about the same time................. hmmmm.

See, it would appear that Ford combed over their Q3 results, and liked what they saw. Thus, it allowed them to be a little............... shall we say................ creative.

Said project will not be horribly expensive.............. and will probably also spawn a niche vehicle that us normal folk can buy. Woo Hoo !!!!

Disclaimer: This information comes from a person who has much more intimate information on Ford, than I could ever hope to have. He has hinted on this for a while now.
Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
Even without insider info, we all had to speculate this was coming...Did we really think Ford was going to give up on Uncle Sam's car buying habits?

Ford could really pull this off...maybe the Falcon and Mustang will share similar platforms?

Or, they could really blow it, and we could end up with the Transit Connect as a SWAT van.
Remember when Ford was toying with the idea of a Mustang sedan?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by jg95z28

It even has a very early version of Ecoboost!

I like the idea of a Mustang Sedan. Maybe they'll call it Fairmont!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 PM

It'll be built along Mustang and production will begin as soon as the current cop car ends production which is GREAT for us GM folks.

It means that the Mustang and new cop car will share the same architecture, they can price the cop car cheaper than what GM plans with the Lumina because it will be fleet only (cop car.)

So, GM absolutely must now make a civilian version of the Lumina if it hopes to compete with the new Ford cop car....oops, did I have a name wrong in there at some point

Last edited by Josh452; 11-13-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed

Are Falcons certified for NA? I thought I read somewhere that they are.

What is Fords plans for the factory in Canada that builds Crown Vic/PI after 2011?
The Falcon is definitely LHD engineered but I don't believe the current Falcon is engineered for the US market. The fuel tank is located after the rear axle and the body is not corrosion protected (not much snow down here).

I say the report is not very accurate.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:05 AM

I'm betting on an Ecoboost Taurus.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
The Falcon is definitely LHD engineered but I don't believe the current Falcon is engineered for the US market. The fuel tank is located after the rear axle and the body is not corrosion protected (not much snow down here).

I say the report is not very accurate.
The Falcon is definitely NOT package protected for LHD. The reason for this was there was no market for a LHD falcon when the decision to add LHD to the BF falcon was being made.

The only market the falcon could go to was the middle east but Ford were selling the crown vic, and milking it, over there. Ford management decided to keep milking their cash cow. No market, no LHD. This was before Mullally.

Next falcon platform maybe?

Quick Reply: BREAKING: Ford announces it will build all-new Police Interceptor for 2011