Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

BREAKING: Ford announces it will build all-new Police Interceptor for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by crYnOid
The Falcon is definitely NOT package protected for LHD. The reason for this was there was no market for a LHD falcon when the decision to add LHD to the BF falcon was being made.

The only market the falcon could go to was the middle east but Ford were selling the crown vic, and milking it, over there. Ford management decided to keep milking their cash cow. No market, no LHD. This was before Mullally.

Next falcon platform maybe?
I'm not going to disagree with you but I thought Falcon was LHD package protected. I've read numerous comments stating that to be the case, this thread being the more recent. Though I don't recall reading anything official, just innuendo and believing there would be some truthful element there.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
I'm not going to disagree with you but I thought Falcon was LHD package protected. I've read numerous comments stating that to be the case, this thread being the more recent. Though I don't recall reading anything official, just innuendo and believing there would be some truthful element there.
Even if the chassis was designed for it you start running into other problems with the Aussie Falcon. That plant can not support the volume this car could sell in the states, period. If they are planning on converting a US plant great, but that means new suppliers and factory build protocols on an older chassis (doesn't make a lot of sense but possible). Then you need to look at compatibility with the CV police subsystems, if there are similarities then I could see a LOT of orders for this car.

Again lots of problems with this scenario, I can totally see Ford just readying a PI Taurus and being done.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:29 PM

I dont see Ford pulling a RWD car out of its **** anytime soon.
Even if they bring the Falcon, isnt it pretty outdated? They got a big refresh, but isnt it the same car that was going head to head with the VY Holdens?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 PM

2011 huh? Personally, I just don't see where Ford comes up with an all new car by then. I also don't see them bringing the Falcon here either - for any number of reasons.

So, if that 2011 date is for real, it will have to be based on something already in production...
Old 11-14-2009, 03:58 PM

Maybe I'm trying to read too much into this.

Dearborn, Mich., Nov. 13, 2009 – Ford Motor Company announced today it will produce an all-new purpose-built Police Interceptor specially designed and engineered to replace the Ford Crown Victoria law enforcement vehicle lineup in 2011.
We have heard the repeated requests from the law enforcement community to continue uninterrupted support of the law enforcement community," said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas. "Ford is answering the call with the new Police Interceptor – engineered and built in America.
Don't think the Falcon meets the later criteria. Does this mean Mustang returns with a police package? Though in the press release there's nothing that indicates RWD. So it could certainly be the Taurus.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:13 PM

I wonder if someone at Ford was thinking along a similar lines as me with a car using the F150 frame and sharing as many parts as possible.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
I wonder if someone at Ford was thinking along a similar lines as me with a car using the F150 frame and sharing as many parts as possible.
No.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
That Carbon car is going to have a very hard time in this market.
*Looks at my location*...dammit, dammit, dammit!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
I dont see Ford pulling a RWD car out of its **** anytime soon.
Even if they bring the Falcon, isnt it pretty outdated? They got a big refresh, but isnt it the same car that was going head to head with the VY Holdens?
You are 100% correct. I may be partiial to GM products but IMHO Falcon never looked as good as the VY and probably still looks like it's last century's design. Although under that bland and aged skin is a great chassis and an abundance of performance for average drivers and enthusiasts alike.

If only Ford Oz gave Australians a decent vehicle to compete with Holden's VT of the time (the AU was a complete disaster), they might have actually won over a few friends at Ford headquarters in Dearborn... and might have played a far greater role in engineering/designing the large RWD platform.

Still, credit to Holden for making their own luck. It didn't happen by accident. VT was loved around the world, notably the ME where they sold exceptionally well.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
*Looks at my location*...dammit, dammit, dammit!!!!!!

Charger (all new for 2012), 2011 Caprice, 2011/12 Ford Interceptor.

2011 is going to be the best year ever for the police car market and the most competitive. On top of that you still have the Tahoe. NYS police are buying Tahoes for 50%+ of the fleet. From what I hear cops really like them.

Last edited by Z28x; 11-15-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
i'll **** my pants if i saw that with red and blue lights.... lol
I was sitting here thiking the same thing
Old 11-15-2009, 10:47 AM

I work with a few cops, and they like the trucks over the cars. They said they would like some sort of AWD, semi lifted car with lots of space, twin batteries and some other trinkets. They want something that can go over a curb without damaging anything under the car, and want something with decent power.
I think the Carbon car could still be very compeditive if they push on the fact that these cars are still civilian cars dressed up for street duty.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Charger (all new for 2012), 2011 Caprice, 2011/12 Ford Interceptor.

2011 is going to be the best year ever for the police car market and the most competitive. On top of that you still have the Tahoe. NYS police are buying Tahoes for 50%+ of the fleet. From what I hear cops really like them.
We have quite a few police Tahoes around my area. Lots of the higher ranked officers drive them. They also seem to last forever, because most of the ones are from the late 90s/early 2000s and are still running around every day. I'm also seeing quite a few more Chargers being used by local and city police departments. The state still pretty much just uses the Crown Vic, which is almost all I ever see on the interstates.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Hey...what happened to that 4 door mustang idea they had a while back..if it designed and ready to go...What does Ford have in its lineup for RWD or AWD that could be just RWD if put into cop duty??

would be funny if they kinda did what they did with the 4th gen's updated the panther platform and did new sheetmetal and dropped an ecoboost engine in it.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:43 PM

Maybe Ford went pretty far with the D2C idea and had a stretched wheelbase version of the Mustang pretty far along (ford is famous for doing a project to 99.99% and ditching it)????? Alot of proven components there along with some fairly heavy duty stuff. Ford could stuff a 3v 4.6 or 3v 5.4 or even the upcoming 4v 5.0 in such a car and outfit it with GT500 cooling and running gear (sans M6 and use the A5 or A6 instead and the 8.8 has more than enough beans for what police would use it for, especially the GT500/Bullitt version). A Mac strut/Live axle car is fairly rugged and more importantly cheaper to maintain than a SLA/IRS chassis.

---> edit<--- daygonnit, Cap beat me to it --->edit<---

The ecoboost idea would be neat from a fuel conservation standpoint, but I wonder what the longevity of T/C engine would be like idling away for an extended period of time, or continually starting up and shutting down (letting the oil coke in the turbo).

Last edited by bossco; 11-15-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: BREAKING: Ford announces it will build all-new Police Interceptor for 2011