Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

BREAKING: Ford announces it will build all-new Police Interceptor for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
According to this site it is 20.1 cubic feet.

And to see the shape:
2010 Taurus

2009 Crown Victoria

If the civilian version has AWD optional and the SHO does as well, why wouldn't the PI as well?
Your Ford Taurus trunk pic. is actually a pic. of a Ford Fusion. Here is a pic. of the 2010 Ford Taurus trunk.

[img]www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/06/2010taurus_fd016.jpg[/img]
Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 PM

I'm going to cut to the chase....

The new Police Interceptor is NOT going to be based on the current Australian Ford Falcon.

However..... I wouldn't buy into the Taurus idea just yet, either.

1. Today, making an entire vehicle off of a existing chassis takes less than 18 months.... and Ford said the vehicle would be engineered and made in North America.

2. If the police vehicle was going to be a Taurus, they would have simply said it would be (it was speculators that assumed that it would be the Taurus or the Falcon).

3. Ford is a bit of an expert in doing niche vehicles and making money on them (SVT, police only Crown Victoria, etc...)

It is not at all impossible for Ford to create an all new D2S, Police specific car based off of a lengthened Mustang chassis. As a matter of fact, money would not be an issue and nor would a supporting OEM network.

But like the Falcon or Taurus, I wouldn't jump that direction either.

1. Ford stated that they were accelerating this program, yet it still is over a year away. Not only does this mean the program has been around at least a little while, but that by the total elapsed development time of at least 18 months, we obviously aren't simply talking about a Taurus with a heavy duty cooling system and stronger shocks and springs.

2. Ford created a police-only concept back in 2002 (New York Auto Show) that showed that even back then Ford was entertaining the idea:

3. The current, 30 year old Panther chassis already meets the new rear crash standard because unlike all cars back in the 70s, and much like the 3rd and 4th gen Camaros, the rear fuel tank is well away from the rear bumper and can easily take a 60+ mph hit without rupturing.

Although we'll find out for sure next year most likely at New York's Auto Show (again), Forget the Falcon, and don't bet on the Taurus.

A Mustang based D2S is within the scope of possibility.

However, you'd be most likely correct in looking for a new body on the Panther (newer and better than the body in the pictures), with an up to date drivetrain (see Mustang's new 5.0 V8), revamped suspension and handling, better brakes, and......

...... a live axle.

Last edited by guionM; 11-17-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Although we'll find out for sure next year most likely at New York's Auto Show (again), Forget the Falcon, and don't bet on the Taurus.

However, you'd be most likely correct in looking for a new body on the Panther (newer and better than the body in the pictures), with an up to date drivetrain (see Mustang's new 5.0 V8), revamped suspension and handling, better brakes, and......

...... a live axle.
Too much to hope for. Automotive News is saying it's based on the Taurus. I just don't see Ford building a new sedan for the U.S. -- even if it's only for cops -- with a longitudinal engine.

But if they do give the cops a D2S sedan, then I want my own version to replace my G8.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
I'm not going to disagree with you but I thought Falcon was LHD package protected. I've read numerous comments stating that to be the case, this thread being the more recent. Though I don't recall reading anything official, just innuendo and believing there would be some truthful element there.
Nope Crynoid is correct.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 AM

3. Ford is a bit of an expert in doing niche vehicles and making money on them (SVT, police only Crown Victoria, etc...)

It is not at all impossible for Ford to create an all new D2S, Police specific car based off of a lengthened Mustang chassis. As a matter of fact, money would not be an issue and nor would a supporting OEM network.

This would be incredible, I doubt it would happen but I would be extremely impressed and excited it if did.

Out of all your scenarios which one do you think is the most likely?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:14 AM

D2S? Is that what we're calling D2C now?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Seems like D2Sedan and D2Coupe to me.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Seems like D2Sedan and D2Coupe to me.
Seems like it to me too.

But the architecture is D2C regardless of doors. "D2S" is terminology new to me.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Like someone much more in the know than I am, said:

*Think about which plant has extra capacity............. and it ain't Chicago (remember that the new Explorer will be built there). Said plant is also a flex plant.

*Ford has been in serious discussions with Law Enforcement, about what they want and need in a new Interceptor........... and I doubt they said FWD.

*There were plans, at one point, to build a sedan off of the D2C platform.

*Ford is all excited about having extra money to play with............ and plans on having some fun with it. Certain projects that were shelved (not cancelled) will see the light of day.

*As guy said, Ford is very capable of making niche products, profitably.

*Who said it would be law enforcement only??

*Said source is also hinting that there will be a surprise, with the 2011 Mustang announcement. Not that this directly relates to the discussion............ but one could think about what surprises might be announced........... and follow the yellow brick road.

I think you can see where I think the car is going to come from, and if you can read between the lines, what I think it will be. Remember that Ford has been real good at letting the public know, only what they want them to know.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:11 PM

I am pretty sure Panther is dead, other wise why hasn't the Crown Vic gotten a sheet metal update in the last 12 years? Why end Panther production in Canada and start it back up somewhere else with new sheet metal.

I have a hard time believeing that Ford will put together an all new sedan based on the Mustang chassis for Police work. That would take a lot of money and engineering for something that will have a limited market and limited profit margins.

The niche vehicles were all based on something that was already in production, ie SVT, police only Crown Vic. And the Police Interceptor Concept from 2002 was just a current Crown Vic with different sheetmetal.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 PM

In my mind, current Mustang to full sized sedan (Charger/Crown Vic/Caprice sized) would take a lot of flexibility from a platform. Dare I say..flexibility we have not yet seen in a RWD sedan chassis recently. GM could not do it with Zeta (hence big Camaro).

As for Ford having "money to play with"..I would not go that far. Last quarter was their last profitable on in I don't know how many years. Additionally, they have that issue of being mortgaged to the hidlt at the tune of $25 Billion dollars.

The other reason I have my doubts about a Mustang based sedan is simply how many people have their hands in the Mustang pot. We seem to know everything that happens with the Mustang 12-24 months before it happens because of all the leaks in that progam (intentional or not). I really think it would be impossible for a sedan tied so closely to the Mustang to be a year from production without a peep untill a Ford press release.

If you ignore for a second that the Taurus is based on a FWD platform..in terms of size and dimensions, it is perfect size for Police duty. With it's roots in a Volvol platform it is also pretty safe. I am also thinking that Ford is thinking with Crown Vic gone, and Carbon, Charger, Caprice likely costing more than CV..that they can get more money for Taurus. Also..I am willing to bet some police departments will see AWD as a plus.

While I would love a RWD sedan from Ford..I just think their has to be more chatter before I drink that Kool aid.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM

One other question. Since the Taurus is already AWD..is there a chance they could reengineer the engine longitudally, and make it RWD. That might take a year to do.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Seems like it to me too.

But the architecture is D2C regardless of doors. "D2S" is terminology new to me.
Actually, that term I just threw out there.

I've since been corrected in that if such a sedan were created it would be a D4C since the "2" that designates the doors.... the "C still designates it as a coupe, though.

For those still wondering, the "D" designates the class of car. In this instance, "D" designates the chassis as a "Large" car by Euro standards.

FWIW, a car like the Crown Vic (or Dodge Charger, or Chevrolet Impala) are "E" Class automobiles.... Executive class.

We in the US classify our cars 1 class higher than the Europeans.

Last edited by guionM; 11-21-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
One other question. Since the Taurus is already AWD..is there a chance they could reengineer the engine longitudally, and make it RWD. That might take a year to do.
Not a chance.

A compartment engineered for a transverse engine can not be modified for an engine sitting 90 degrees different without spending a chockfull of money and taking quite a bit of time. Especially with a unibody design. You are essentially creating a whole new structure.

A simple new floorpan on the 4th gen Camaro to eliminate that passenger floor hump would have required revalidation of the entire structure, including a new round of crash testing. Imagine what changing the whole front structure (as well as the floorpan since you'd need to shape it for a transmission tunnel) would require.

It's far cheaper simply to streach the D2C (easily done).

Ford in fact did have a plan based on this that was widely reported in car mags and here on this site a year and a half to 2 years ago. That would have had the Mustang D2C forming the basis for the next Ford Falcon which would have been made both here and in Australia, and the new Fairlane replacement which would have been made in Australia and would have been imported here to replace the Crown Vic.

Ford scrapped that in favor of simply reshaping the existing D3 due to speed of development, lower costs, and the idea that the advantages of RWD performance could easily be handled by an AWD setup (and perhaps make a few more dollars in the process?).

Bit of Trivia:
Chrysler's LH cars were engineered with longitudinal engines and floor pans capable of fitting an entire Chrysler transmission behind it even though the LH was front wheel drive. Chrysler engineers wanted to leave the option open of creating rear drive vehicles off of the platform.

The Dodge Venom concept (1994) was a RWD sports coupe based on the LH platform that (in toned down form) actually came very close to seeing production.

Another close to production car that would have been based on the LH platform was the 1999 Dodge Charger concept that was slated for production by 2002.

The entire versatile LH platform was thrown away by Daimler in favor of a structure that utilized Daimler's discarded E-Class IRS and front suspension setup.

Last edited by guionM; 11-21-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 AM

Bit of Trivia:
Chrysler's LH cars were engineered with longitudinal engines and floor pans capable of fitting an entire Chrysler transmission behind it even though the LH was front wheel drive. Chrysler engineers wanted to leave the option open of creating rear drive vehicles off of the platform.

The Dodge Venom concept (1994) was a RWD sports coupe based on the LH platform that (in toned down form) actually came very close to seeing production.

Another close to production car that would have been based on the LH platform was the 1999 Dodge Charger concept that was slated for production by 2002.

The entire versatile LH platform was thrown away by Daimler in favor of a structure that utilized Daimler's discarded E-Class IRS and front suspension setup.
I remember all of this. I loved the Venom concept. And also remember my friend who was a tech for Chrysler he told me about this. That there was a tunnel for a driveshaft and RWD thoughts. He said the Trans for the Prowler would fit right into these LH cars no problem.

and just goggled it:

(When the original LH was being designed, there was an LX platform that was configurable as AWD, FWD and RWD by swapping components around. If you remember the TV series "Viper", they had, in the initial show, a crash of 4 "Premiere police cars" that had a funny wheelbase if you looked closely. The rear tires were 6 inches farther rearward than a normal Premiere. These were our LX prototypes that had 360 v8s and Audi/ZF AWD transaxles.)

http://www.allpar.com/model/intrepid.html

Quick Reply: BREAKING: Ford announces it will build all-new Police Interceptor for 2011