Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buick #1 on Zeta list

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by guionM
Camaro probally wouldn't be back till the end of the decade, and the CTSv would be a turbocharged V6 easily flattened not
I dunno 2008/9 is pretty darn close to the end of the decade to me.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:18 PM

Thanks GuionM.... I appreciated the reponse. Helps bring things into perspective. I'm just wondering if all the changes in GM doesnt mean anything and that the more they change the more it stays the same and because of that the sleepy giant only woke up for little to toss and go back to sleep though I seriously hope that's not the case. It's about time GM started giving everyone what they want to remain and retain # 1 in the automotive industry.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:38 PM

Hmmm. The articles make no mention of Zeta cars to be imported from Holden(El Camino). Also, if the Camaro is not based on Zeta,but on a Zetaderived chassis as I've heard it may be , then maybe this is just semantics and the 08/09 chevies are not Camaro. We might still get it for 07 under this scenario. On a small downside, if this is the case it may indicate that GM now sees the Camaro as a Niche car , which could lead them to build it in Australia. Just thinking out loud here.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by jg95z28
guionM, what are the chances that the currently published dates are nothing but a red herring and once GM can discuss the C-word without getting into any legal trouble there might be some revision in the schedule?
The dates weren't leaked, they were dug up. I came across the same dates through a very different source.

Unfortunately, that means that there's no red herring involved.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:30 PM

Very good information. However, that still doesn't address the "why." Why does the red tape have to get in the way? Isn't it abundantly obvious that things need to change? I guess nobody on the board can answer that, but the point remains...

-Jason
Old 02-24-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by CaminoLS6
Hmmm. The articles make no mention of Zeta cars to be imported from Holden(El Camino).

Doesn't need to.

Also, if the Camaro is not based on Zeta,but on a Zetaderived chassis as I've heard it may be , then maybe this is just semantics and the 08/09 chevies are not Camaro...
What..... you mean we may have 3 RWD Chevrolet coupes by 2010?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:43 PM

The potential implications of Zeta make so many things conceivable.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:39 PM

If there isn't a Camaro by 06/07, they'll be making a really big mistake. Why can't GM be the leader and get things out first and fast instead of watching and waiting for a change?? Just to be last yet again? Just to see if it works and then hurry to get yours out? Keep being a bunch of idiots and see if you're still the biggest car manufacturer. And if this title is so, some of the best products ever in every aspect should be in GM showrooms, and that goes for every model, not just a few.

I hope the Charger and Challenger (especially) happen.

Last edited by IZ28; 02-24-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by guionM
What..... you mean we may have 3 RWD Chevrolet coupes by 2010? [/B]
I dont understand why if they think the market is going to be strong enough for 3 rwd Chevy's in 2010, how come they arent in a hurry to get one out soon.

I appreciate your info too, GuionM, just frustrated at how slow things seem to be coming.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:08 PM

Funniest part is, from what I understand the Chevy Coupe is pretty much done. It's just a matter of a name, a plant, and a contract expiring.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by formula79
Funniest part is, from what I understand the Chevy Coupe is pretty much done. It's just a matter of a name, a plant, and a contract expiring.
I hope you're right bro. If our car doesnt come out till '09, looks like I'll be looking over used LS1 Camaros in a few years to hold me over .
Old 02-25-2004, 07:23 AM

If this is truely the case, then it is hard to explain why there would be no Camaro for MY2007...

The contract should be dead by then, freeing up the name, and the plant... I dont see how that should be a huge issue... they are goign to need to start the Zeta plant off with some car... why not Camaro?!?
Old 02-25-2004, 11:30 AM

You're dead on the money with that one!!

The clinic on the US coupe has been done for a long time. By the time it hits the streets at this rate, the design will be 4 years old!

The Zeta chassis is done (save last minute changes). Bob Lutz, Ed Welburn and a group of other GM brass went to Australia to preview the new Zeta Holden lineup. That includes the new Monaro & likely the GTO. Save the GTO, all will be out starting in a little less than 24 months.

Ed Welburn mentioned in a recent article that he sometimes has to remind himself of what year he's in since he's living in 2008 at GM.

I was assured that North America was sharing development and there was no issue (as far as this person could see) why US versions wouldn't debut at the same time, or no more than a year after theirs.

This whole US Zeta thing is a mystery to me too.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:11 PM

its so difficult to know where to put my feelings on these, since GM says nothing helpful, and the only info we get are the tidbits that bounce around on here.

Make the camaro in 06/07 and its perfect for me, i could easily drive my car or a newer trans am for 2-3 years and then snag a camaro. but 08/09, and there is a good chance its a 4th gen fbody and a new charger in the driveway. and if they dont make a charger and dont make a camaro until 08-09, then, im just **** out of luck i guess. time to do some corvette shopping.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:18 PM

Yup. And I wonder if by the time we see it, if it'll seem old?

I sure hope not!

Quick Reply: Buick #1 on Zeta list