Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

C6: The Smaller Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 12:41 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slt:
I liked how that article said they were going concentrate on the interior. Its a $50,000 car with the interior of a monte carlo right now.</font>
Where are you from that you think a Monte Carlo and a Vette has the same interior
Old 06-25-2002, 12:53 PM

I believe he's referring to the quality of materials - not that the Corvette interior looks like a Monte Carlo interior. The 'Vette does have a lot of parts bin switchgear and the plastics aren't really much nicer than a Monte or an Impala. Look at the richness of the new Audis in comparison to a 'Vette.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:04 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlkDth:
Where are you from that you think a Monte Carlo and a Vette has the same interior </font>
veriations on a theme. hard plastics and near identical dials levers, switches. it all comes from the same parts bin. and so it is the case with the Monaro and the upcoming GTO. actually its a GM trademark at this point. ****ty, identical interiors.

also, I wouldn't mind so much if the C6 stayed within a foot of the C5, but I don't really think it should be much smaller/shorter/nerrower. it is wonderful as is already.

the camaro def. has to go on an intensive diet though. I'd like to be able to have a 'sense' for where the car ends at either end in the new one. at this point it is too big for no reason at all.

[This message has been edited by morb|d (edited June 25, 2002).]
Old 06-25-2002, 04:23 PM

While we're talking about the 4th gen's large exterior dimensions....I just want to share an experience with you.

Recently I was invited to a Porsche Club Of America event. Amongst all the 911s, 944s and 928s (if Porsche made a Z/28...the 928 would be it)...someone brought his 4th gen daily driver.

Among all those low slung sportscars, the 4th gen looked like a Suburban. And not in a good way...but in a clumsy out of place way.

The Camaro is a (or at least used to be) a compact muscle car/pony car...time to get back to basics!
Old 06-25-2002, 04:27 PM

I think a lot of you are operating under old information . Corvettes aren't heavy- the now weigh in at about 3200 lbs, which is less than the much-smaller M3. It's also less than the old 300ZX, a car consistently praised for its light feel.

Yes, the car is long and wide, but if there's no weight penalty, what's the problem? It just helps improve the ride and handling.

While reduced weight is always an admirable goal in a sports car, at some point you have to say good enough, and realize that the compromises to go any further just aren't worth it.

------------------
2000 Z28, Arctic White, Ebony leather, A4, 2.73, RS-A, 13.3 @ 105.9 stock
Old 06-25-2002, 05:34 PM

Question

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z284ever:
Among all those low slung sportscars, the 4th gen looked like a Suburban. And not in a good way...but in a clumsy out of place way.

The Camaro is a (or at least used to be) a compact muscle car/pony car...time to get back to basics!
</font>
Like I just said in another thread, it's funny how the 3rd Gen is so widely loved yet has virtually the same exterior/interior dimensions. Do you consider that car "clumsy" looking too?

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:32 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
Like I just said in another thread, it's funny how the 3rd Gen is so widely loved yet has virtually the same exterior/interior dimensions. Do you consider that car "clumsy" looking too?

</font>
As you know cars are getting smaller. When the 3rd gen was introduced at had gone through a substantial downsizing...compared to the 2nd gen. And I can't remember anyone..including me.. that didn't set eyes on that initial '82 model and think it wasn't drop dead gorgeous.

By the end of their run, the 3rd gen's styling had started to look dated and their size had begun to look excessive. But they always had nice proportions. The way their wheels (which were far better looking than the 4th gens', BTW), filled the wheelwells...those muscular creases and flares on their fenders and wheelwells makes 3rd gens look timeless today.

To my eye...the 4th gen styling did nothing to freshen the already dated 3rd gen styling...and it added overall length to boot.

So, if you're asking me if the 4th gen looks more "clumsy" than the 3rd gen, the answer is...&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;YES&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt ;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2002, 12:03 AM

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
</font>
Ok, I'll be the first to list all of the flaws of the 4th gen, but I'll certainly defend it compared to the 3rd gen. Widely loved? Well I'm not in that group. I'd take a '98-'02 SS or WS6 over any 3rd gen. I always thought the styling of those Camaros was too boxy and squared off. The last years of the 3rd gen Firebirds were respectable, but that's about it. I'm not a big fan of the "IROC" designation either (yes, I'm familiar with the series). Maybe I'm swayed by all the run-down, beater 3rd gens I see (4th gens are getting cheap enough, you'll see more in that condition too). 4th gens don't have the rust to worry about or as susceptible to little dings all over the place. Oh yeah, they're a ton faster too.

Ok, now that I got that out...we need a replacement for that lousy 4th gen with oversized doors, wheel wells, dash, nose, cat hump, and Fisher Price interior.

------------------
-JERRY-
'02 Impreza WRX
'88 Fiero Formula
'90 Sunbird LE For Sale
Formerly owned: '93 Firebird Formula
Old 06-26-2002, 12:09 AM

The Corvette already IS a small car, and looks damn fine the way it is. Why would GM care about the opinions of Europeans when it won't even listen to America's opinions? The next Corvette should look like a modern Sting Ray.

As for the Camaro, it's size is like the Camaro benchmark. When I picture a smaller Camaro, I picture GM throwing a Z28 badge on a Cavalier and that makes me sick. I want my big Camaro. THe styling of the Camaro is very masculine and brawny, and that I think gives it a lot of appeal. I think a lot of Camaro owners would shun the idea of buying a 5th Gen if it looked like a "sissy".

------------------
<A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/stealthknight

2001" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/user/stealthknight

2001</A> Camaro Z28
Black on Black

M6

Front & rear sway bars
Subframe Connectors
Flowmaster Exhaust w/ Cut-out
Clear corners
Head/taillight blackouts(Copicers don't like these)
Air lid
Free Ram Air
Limo tint on the back window
Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs
Ripper Shifter
White Face Gauges
Old 06-26-2002, 01:04 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CivicDestroyer:
. I want my big Camaro.
</font>

The Marauder then.....would make an even better Camaro.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:46 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z284ever:
While we're talking about the 4th gen's large exterior dimensions....I just want to share an experience with you.

Recently I was invited to a Porsche Club Of America event. Amongst all the 911s, 944s and 928s (if Porsche made a Z/28...the 928 would be it)...someone brought his 4th gen daily driver.

</font>

And if you had a porsche among all American Muscle it would look like a Miata. Whats your point Maybe you should just get a porsche, or better yet a civic. nice and small
Old 06-26-2002, 08:01 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eric77TA:
I believe he's referring to the quality of materials - not that the Corvette interior looks like a Monte Carlo interior. The 'Vette does have a lot of parts bin switchgear and the plastics aren't really much nicer than a Monte or an Impala. Look at the richness of the new Audis in comparison to a 'Vette.</font>
If you want very high quality buy an audi, bmw, or benz. If you want pure fun and brut force for the best price and still get elegance and prestige, get a vette. Come on lets be real. I don't know anywhere you can get all that you get with the Z06 for 50,000 but GM. If you can, go their and let us true American Muscle fans be happy

Old 06-26-2002, 09:51 AM

And if you had a porsche among all American Muscle it would look like a Miata. Whats your point Maybe you should just get a porsche, or better yet a civic. nice and small
</font>
I suppose I could. But what I really want is, a properly executed Camaro.

I could get a Civic...as you suggest....and have more interior space than a 4th gen, ("nice and small")....but what I really want is a Camaro.

If you are confused about my point...let me elaborate....

THE CAMARO DOES NOT NEED TO BE AS LONG AS AN SUV OR FULL SIZED SEDAN.

Old 06-26-2002, 10:04 AM

And if you had a porsche among all American Muscle it would look like a Miata. Whats your point
</font>
Wait ...I think I missed that the first time around.....

So you want to compare the Camaro size to what...full sized big block Impalas and Galaxies ???

See...now I'm confused!

Old 06-26-2002, 10:17 AM

I am not gonna complain about the current C5, but if they wanna make it smaller, I am all for it. That would knock off at least what 150 lbs? Go for it.

The reason Corvette races in places like Le Mans is to show the world that an American sports car can get the job done, and to sell them the road going version. It makes sense to make the car small enough to suit European roads. I want Euro's to be spent on Corvettes!

The Camaro needs to be way smaller too. Look at a Supra or a 90's 300Z or the V8 Porsche 928 and you wont think they are too small. The Camaro should be the same size, no bigger. I would actualy prefer it if the Camaro were 968/944 size even.

As far as third gens to me they sure feel and drive a lot smaller than a 4th gen. My 92 1LE third gen drives like a MUCH smaller and lighter car compared to a 4th gen.

But the 5th gen should be shorter even than a 3rd gen, BUT NOT ANY TALLER PLEASE!!!!

[This message has been edited by Reno Leigh (edited June 26, 2002).]

Quick Reply: C6: The Smaller Vette