Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

CAFE = bigger cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Koz

CAFE = bigger cars?

Interesting point of view. Not the first time I've heard it either!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/13/w...nes/#continued

A study by the University of Michigan shows that auto manufacturers could meet tougher fuel economy standards simply by increasing the size of the vehicles they sell. A "footprint-based" formula for calculating mileage targets was adopted when Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards were revised in 2007. Researchers now think this could lead to bigger vehicles on the road rather than increases in fuel economy for our nation's fleet.

"It's cheaper to make large vehicles, and meeting fuel-economy standards costs [manufacturers] money in implementing and looking at what consumers will purchase," one of the researchers told Automotive News.

The study simulated changes that auto manufacturers could make to 473 different vehicles in order to meet the new regulations. The model allowed for changing the size of vehicles, as well as adding fuel-saving technology, wile balancing acceleration and performance with fuel economy. Pricing was also taken into account. The researchers think that the size of light trucks is likely to grow, even more than the increases they forecast for cars, with the changes coming about as soon as 2014.

"This study illustrates that there may be a substantial financial incentive to produce larger vehicles, and that it can undermine the goals of the policy," said the lead researcher, who wants the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to revise its formula. Click past the jump to read the University of Michigan's press release on the study.
Show full PR text
Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Re: CAFE = bigger cars?

People need to be able to afford these larger vehicles. I still see more people buying the Focus or Fusion over the Tuarus.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
People need to be able to afford these larger vehicles. I still see more people buying the Focus or Fusion over the Tuarus.
Maybe this is the reason the Focus has grown a bit. Same thing with the Cruze being a bit larger than the Cobalt.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by That Camaro Guy
Maybe this is the reason the Focus has grown a bit. Same thing with the Cruze being a bit larger than the Cobalt.
That trend has been going on for decades with all cars. I think automakers like to give a little more each generation so people think the next generation is always better. Eventually this leads to Civics that are the size of 20 year old Accords. Nissan Altima is the best example of a car growing in size and you only have to go back to the late 90's to see it.

The current Chevy Equinox is larger than the first generation Ford Explorer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevy_Equinox
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM

With the obesity epidemic, people are getting bigger and can't squeeze into these little cars, they want to feel comfortable. the manufacturers are just making it easier to be fat.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Safety regulations plays a huge part in why today's vehicles are larger than their previous generation counterparts.

One thing to note, the article says "larger", not "heavier" or "more massive". The idea is by increasing the proportions and not the vehicle's mass, today's "large cars" can be replaced by similar sized vehicles using smaller more fuel efficient powerplants and lighter materials to achieve more CAFE favorable numbers.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 AM

CAFE gave birth to SUVs. Only makes sense that the next spawn would be bigger cars.

Honestly, I doubt many people will go to larger cars unless there is a definite financial advantage that will exist for this.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Safety regulations plays a huge part in why today's vehicles are larger than their previous generation counterparts.

One thing to note, the article says "larger", not "heavier" or "more massive". The idea is by increasing the proportions and not the vehicle's mass, today's "large cars" can be replaced by similar sized vehicles using smaller more fuel efficient powerplants and lighter materials to achieve more CAFE favorable numbers.
Name 1 car that has grown in size but not weight in the last decade. I can only think of one.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Name 1 car that has grown in size but not weight in the last decade. I can only think of one.
I'm referring to the article's implication that larger cars will help CAFE. You're correct that in practice it hasn't worked out that way, however there hasn't been a need to until now.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM

Yep... when there was no pressure the cars were getting bigger as a feature, and content was added which was the real area of weight gain. Essentially it is all "feature creep," as said before, to make each successive generation seem better than before and the competitors. Some of these new features were also bigger and or more powerful engines.

This is somewhat different in that if you had a midsize car you were designing you might as well bump up the proportions a bit to make it easier to hit targets with the powertrain you have already selected.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 PM

So..cars this size?

Last edited by 91Zman; 12-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
West South Central Moderator

Corvette?
2002 = 3246
2012 = 3208
Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Instead of overall footprint size the CAFE should be based on curb weight. With extra allowances for those vehicles under the average for their class.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Koz

I can't name one specifically, but I recall something recently was released that was bigger but lighter than the older model. It was something boring; like a VW Passat or something like that.

But yeah, it would be hard to make a car bigger and fight the urge to fill it with something. If the fuel economy incentive were there though...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Corvette?
2002 = 3246
2012 = 3208
2012 corvette is smaller than 2002.

Quick Reply: CAFE = bigger cars?