Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Pick one.....
I don't care what it's called...if I like it, I'm buying it.
44.93%
If it's not called "CAMARO"..you can count me out.
55.07%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy Coupe poll.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 10:17 PM

Re: Chevy Coupe poll.

I don't think there's a need to defend yourself in every post Guion. I think most of us get what you're saying.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:23 PM

It is this simple for me:

If the coupe isn't called Camaro I will be buying a used C5 or C6 instead. Corvette is the only other car that can satisfy my needs in terms of asthetics/emotional connection, LINEAGE, etc. etc., not just performance.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:53 AM

I'd have to say that this is the most enlightening poll in recent memory. On this "Camaro site", almost ONE HALF don't care if Camaro comes back...with the Camaro name.

As I'm trying to digest all of this.....the first thing that comes to mind is Mustang. Mustang and the enthusiastic owners that covet the name, the lineage and the car. We've just gotten a small whiff of why Mustang outsold Camaro by 3 fold...and why.....today Mustang exists, and Camaro does not.

Maybe it's time to rekindle America's love affair with Camaro. A randomly named Chevy coupe will be at a distinct disadvantage when compared to the lineage that Mustang brings (and will bring) to the table.

Last edited by Z284ever; 07-25-2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:49 AM

Perhaps this poll is worded a little polarizingly (word?). There's probably a fair number, myself included, who would be BITTERLY disappointed that the name had changed, and certainly not enjoy the car as much as we would have otherwise, but to say that I'd go buy a mustang If the script on the decklid said something else would be a gross overreaction. First and foremost, I like the CAR, the formula that makes the car what it is, but I did ** gasp! ** buy a FIREBIRD FORMULA last time around!! I don't think that makes me a traitor, I liked the looks of it better, nothing more. I did not consider a competing make, I will not consider a competing make in '07-'08 either.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:31 AM

I voted If I like it ,I'll buy it. With that said, if it looks like the Crispey/Horton renderings, it needs to be called Camaro. If they opt for more of a Chevelle style in the bodywork, I'd be very happy to have it called Chevelle. If the Chevelle is what we get I'd still be looking for a more agressively styled coupe called Camaro later on. Yes, I want both! The Chevelle as a full-line car in various bodystyles and a Camaro as what it always has been- an affordable performance coupe with no aspirations to be anything else. Key recipe is Chevy+coupe+RWD+V8+affordable+ major bang for the buck. If they do all of that, I'd be happy with a new Chevelle or a new Camaro as long as it looks like the name fits the car.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Perhaps this poll is worded a little polarizingly (word?). There's probably a fair number, myself included, who would be BITTERLY disappointed that the name had changed, and certainly not enjoy the car as much as we would have otherwise, but to say that I'd go buy a mustang If the script on the decklid said something else would be a gross overreaction. First and foremost, I like the CAR, the formula that makes the car what it is, but I did ** gasp! ** buy a FIREBIRD FORMULA last time around!! I don't think that makes me a traitor, I liked the looks of it better, nothing more. I did not consider a competing make, I will not consider a competing make in '07-'08 either.
I feel the same way (except I have only owned a Camaro ). No matter what they bring it backed named - Camaro or not a Camaro - if I like the GTO better I'd buy that.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:54 AM

Thumbs down Re: Chevy Coupe poll.

GM, and especially Chevrolet, is beyond deserving of any of our affection and loyalty.

GM has consistently produced shoddy products, over-hyped their value, and failed miserably in supporting them. Case in point: Opti-spark. Has GM ever issued a recall on that total POS engineered item? NO. Why not, because $$$ drives all of their actions.

I own a mustang and my Camaro SS. I have no love for GM or Chevrolet or Ford because I own of their vehicles.

I have owned BMWs, Acura, Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet, Oldsmobiles, Volkswagens, GMC, Yamaha, Honda, Porsche and Toyota. All of them were okay, but the Acura and Volkwagens were far and above superior in fit and finish. I can say that my Camaro is the 2nd fastest, behind my Honda V65 motorcycle, but I am not in love with it. It shakes and rattles and I never feel confident that it is reliable or capable of passing smog at anytime.

My Volkswagen had over 260,000 miles when I sold it. My Acura Legend had over 250,000 when I sold it...and it was tremendously more reliable and smooth and quieter than the Camaro or Mustang. None handled better than my Porsche. None more reliable than my Acura.

GM dealers are notorious thieves, using their power to extract massive sums of cash because we don't have the tools or parts to do it ourselves.

Take a look at the new Cavalier. They now have an SS version. Can you belive that they are banking on the SS nameplate on a POS like that? GM will stoop to any level for a buck off the unsuspecting idiot.

The only Camaro I will buy next time will be a used one...maybe.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:41 AM

I posted the same poll question...except inserted Mustang instead of Camaro...on TheMustangSource.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=3630

I'll be interested to see what the results are.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:27 PM

Anyone check out the Mustang poll?

Maybe I'm feeling better about us...(well, when I say us...I mean some of you guys...you know who you are)....the solid majority over there doesn't care if Mustang is called Mustang.

All very interesting.

But if Camaro comes back and it's not called "Camaro"....I'm going postal....fair warning.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:27 PM

i dont know why there is 2 of the same thread but if it is not camaro then i wont buy it.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:31 PM

No Camaro,
No more GM products.

Plain and simple, I'll put my money where my mouth is.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:48 PM

In case anyone is interested......

At least a majority here DEMAND that the the next Camaro, be called Camaro.

At the MustangSource......2/3rds would buy a Mustang NOT called Mustang.

Wonder what this all means?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:50 AM

I think I can safely say that it means people are just wanting an affordable GM/Chevy V8, RWD, performance car again. After all this time the name is starting to mean less to people, they want something. (even if they DO still want the name) It's going on 2 years that the M*stang has been alone and that the Camaro has been out of the game, and it's gonna be at least 2 or 3 more until there is something. Frustration IS understandable I'm thinking. (Even though I'll accept nothing less than a car with the Camaro name and I'm hoping others will feel the same if that should happen)

Last edited by IZ28; 07-28-2004 at 12:58 AM.