Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is Chrysler ever going to come through with a quality vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 PM

And they have noisey door gaskets.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Perceived... as in tactile... touch, sound, smell.

It's exactly what GM failed at and is now starting to succeed at. It's exactly what Chrysler still hasn't even started to make any progress on that I can tell.

It may not be important to you, but it is very much a real and significant measure of quality to your average car buyer.

There's this downright ignorant notion around this forum in particular (not everyone, but many) that perceived quality is not a real quality metric. It's is. Perceived quality simply refers specifically to quality that can be perceived by consumers. Not all quality or lack of can be perceived by consumers.
Perceived quality is an emotional thing. It's like that whole "too much wind noise" topic a few weeks ago. You don't like the Chrysler interiors. Others do. It's just time to move on. Sorry someone disagreed with you, but get used to it. It's called life.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM

In my opinion, the real gem in Jeep's lineup is the Wrangler Rubicon.

Hands down, the absolute best 4 wheel drive vehicle on the market.

Dana 44 axles

4.11 crawl ratio in the rear axle

Electronic sway-bar disconnect

Electronic locking front and rear differentials (although, I think a pneumatic locking differential would have been more reliable)

rock rails

This is a perfect example of a car company listening to what the enthusiasts want to see in a vehicle and actually incorporating it.

The only thing that bugs me about the Jeep is the motor. Why o why couldn't they have included an optional higher output higher torque V-6? Or even a turbo diesel??
Old 04-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
Perceived quality is an emotional thing. It's like that whole "too much wind noise" topic a few weeks ago. You don't like the Chrysler interiors. Others do. It's just time to move on. Sorry someone disagreed with you, but get used to it. It's called life.
I'm not upset that anyone has disagreed with me but thanks for the cliche attempt at a life lesson.

Yes, perceived quality is subjective and emotional... very little about what makes a car good isn't subjective and emotional. That doesn't make it any less real of a factor.

Just because I can't state "this is factually too much wind noise" or "this is factually a cheap material" or "this is factually excessive rattling" doesn't mean that those are non-factors in interior design.

Sounds like you'd fit right in with the rest of the Chrysler engineers.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:02 PM

I did read elsewhere that Wards Auto gave the new Ram the award for best interior 'in a popular priced truck'. Not sure how they define that but obviously they at least preferred it over the competition.

I'm not a big fan of the F150's interior. I think GM's bucket seat truck interior is pretty nice... probably best in class... so obviously I need to see the Ram. Maybe it is in fact turning over a new leaf for Chrysler.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM

Buddy has the 2008 ram 1500, fairly decked out (Nav, leather, etc), retail price of ~$40, so I can't speak for the lesser optioned ones, but it has a nice interior. Wood grain "look" in places, and nice textured plastic on the dash. Steering wheel is nice and supple (unlike that slippery plastic circle Lexus likes to call a steering wheel in their RX vehicles). Panels fit together nicely, even gaps, with no rubbing, or squeaking. The 2009 (looking at the photos on the dodge's website) are a step above the 2008 models.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
Steering wheel is nice and supple (unlike that slippery plastic circle Lexus likes to call a steering wheel in their RX vehicles).
You mean real hand sanded and polished wood and leather?

I've driven cars with wood steering wheels and can definitely see how some people may not like the cold hard feel of it compared to nicely buffed and plush leather... in fact I'm inclined to say I might be one of them that prefers all leather vs wood and leather. But I certainly don't think it's horrible either. Don't forget GM has used some wood (and some actual plastic made to look like wood) in their steering wheels before. Actually the new 2010 LaCrosse will apparently come with leather only for the mid level CXL and leather + wood for the top of the line CXS. And the LaCrosse is arguably their most well-done interior to date. Class-leading IMO.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 PM

I did read elsewhere that Wards Auto gave the new Ram the award for best interior 'in a popular priced truck'. Not sure how they define that but obviously they at least preferred it over the competition.

I'm not a big fan of the F150's interior. I think GM's bucket seat truck interior is pretty nice... probably best in class... so obviously I need to see the Ram. Maybe it is in fact turning over a new leaf for Chrysler.
I also like GM's truck interior. It's nice, solid, and great looking.

But it's the interior designs in both Ford and the new Ram that actually blow you away. They look far more stylish than what each typically put into cars.

I went to a Chrysler-Dodge dealer in Colma yesterday (they finally got in 2 more Challengers). One was a jet black V6 in the showroom, and the other was a orange-red R/T manual in the detail shop (customer's special order). Had the wife with me... she actually loved the thing!

The interior of the Challenger has taken hits, but sitting in one, and going over everything in sight, I'm convinced that the hits against it's interior is limited to the dash design, because everything else is on par with the better interiors out there.

The seats are near perfect, and look great, the doors are padded in the right places, and well beyond what the pre-2010 Mustang got by with. The dash materials alone is very good. Plenty of padding and "soft" touch. The rear seats look absolutely fantastic. the switchgear is on par with what I've seen and felt at the Mitsubishi dealer next door and the Toyota dealer down the street. Everything else is put together pretty tightly.

I'm interested in seeing the Challenger scores once enough are on the road to be rated. I suspect it should be very good.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM

I've driven cars with wood steering wheels and can definitely see how some people may not like the cold hard feel of it compared to nicely buffed and plush leather... in fact I'm inclined to say I might be one of them that prefers all leather vs wood and leather. But I certainly don't think it's horrible either. Don't forget GM has used some wood (and some actual plastic made to look like wood) in their steering wheels before. Actually the new 2010 LaCrosse will apparently come with leather only for the mid level CXL and leather + wood for the top of the line CXS. And the LaCrosse is arguably their most well-done interior to date. Class-leading IMO.
I love the look of the steering wheel, however, it's the use of that steering wheel that is the issue. My hands slip when turning the wheel on that laquered part sometimes. So, should I be in some situation where I need to make an emergency maneuver, I may not be able to, as my hand will slip off the wheel. I'm assuming it hasn't proven to be an issue, as they are still using that wheel on the new generation of RX. I just want a non-slip finish on my steering wheel.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 PM

OMG Did the interior designer sneeze while he was drawing the dash under the Nav screen? that looks terrible
Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
OMG Did the interior designer sneeze while he was drawing the dash under the Nav screen? that looks terrible
I kinda like it. I've never been a fan of the shifter placement on the RX though.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
The theory goes subconsciously it makes each occupant feel like they have more of their own space inside the vehicle.

It does look a little odd to me. The Tundra's dashboard does something similar but more blocked off than curved. Overall I like the RX350's interior. I don't care for the Tundra's though.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

The interior of the Challenger has taken hits, but sitting in one, and going over everything in sight, I'm convinced that the hits against it's interior is limited to the dash design, because everything else is on par with the better interiors out there.

The seats are near perfect, and look great, the doors are padded in the right places, and well beyond what the pre-2010 Mustang got by with. The dash materials alone is very good. Plenty of padding and "soft" touch. The rear seats look absolutely fantastic. the switchgear is on par with what I've seen and felt at the Mitsubishi dealer next door and the Toyota dealer down the street. Everything else is put together pretty tightly.
i'm one of the few that likes the challengers interior over both the camaro and mustang. both in layout and materials. too bad its over priced and heavy.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM

The theory goes subconsciously it makes each occupant feel like they have more of their own space inside the vehicle.

It does look a little odd to me. The Tundra's dashboard does something similar but more blocked off than curved. Overall I like the RX350's interior. I don't care for the Tundra's though.
Yea I can see that, reminds me of the 80's Blazers when the HVAC and radio were tilted toward the driver. I guess I am more of a fan of symmetry at least in the middle of the dash.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:34 PM

it's a really, really good effect in person. no hint of oddness, just pure art and form for art's sake. much better than other mfg.s putting out plenty of derivative design these days. all car interiors are starting to look the same......out of nowhere toyota has gotten some design religion, and voila a lot of thier cars inside and out, are starting to look much much better, and thier becoming one of the better designed lineups out there.

Quick Reply: Is Chrysler ever going to come through with a quality vehicle?