Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM's Docherty Swept Aside for Hyundai Marketing Whiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
How is Hyundai wooing new buyers?? $199 Sonata leases, and fleet sales.

Yes, their cars are many moons better than the old ones. However, they are just rehashing old tricks, to get buyers in the door. After all, how many people do you know, who aim to buy a Hyundai??

About as many people who aim to buy a camaro. The Sonata and Camaro were the two highest researched cars on the autotrader recently.
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...ghlight=sonata

Hyundai has come a long way, and they make some very nice cars that several middle-class type people would give consideration. They don't offer anything in terms of performance other than the Genesis, but the cars look good, have a great warranty, and are very well priced.

Last edited by Koz2; 05-10-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
Was she the chick that said something to the effect of "Pontiac is synonomous with MPG"?
That's the one. She said that while trying to tout the new Pontiac G3.

Car never even made it to showrooms (which is a good thing).
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Koz2
That's the one. She said that while trying to tout the new Pontiac G3.

Car never even made it to showrooms (which is a good thing).
Uh, yeah it did...they were sold for about 6 months last summer.

Anyway, yeah she was the same idiot that made that statement. I blasted her on the GM blog...idiot...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E

Anyway, yeah she was the same idiot that made that statement. I blasted her on the GM blog...idiot...
She appears to be the harbinger of death at GM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by Jason E

Wow, I didn't know it made it to dealerships! I thought it only came out as the Wave or whatever in Canada. I've never seen one in real life, and I live in metro Detroit
Old 05-10-2010, 05:56 PM

"He didn't want to have to go through a half-dozen people to get something done," the GM executive said. "He wanted to be able to get on the phone and call one person and say 'Can I do this, yes or no?' and get a quick answer."
Hey, I like this man already... and that's before he's even started at his desk!!!

Dealing with bureaucracy (stupidity) on a daily basis, I , too, wonder how some people actually don't feel guilty about accepting their pay check each week... such is their pitiful work effort and lack of accountability. My basic moral is "if you can't do the work, step aside for somebody who can" and God knows there is always somebody who can.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:37 PM

Yes, their cars are many moons better than the old ones. However, they are just rehashing old tricks, to get buyers in the door. After all, how many people do you know, who aim to buy a Hyundai??
I will one up your Hyundai comment with this. I would seriously consider a Genesis based Kia sedan with an at or 300 hp V6, they are nailing interior/exterior styling and the quality is leaping ahead recently. That may pull me from Ford, which is currently my favorite manufacturer on the planet at the moment.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:24 PM

I don't know where you've been the last 5 years or so but Hyundai is the next Toyota. They will eventually be number 1, just give it a few more years.

The company’s global sales volume during the quarter jumped 36.6 percent from a year earlier to 842,037 vehicles.

http://blog.taragana.com/business/20...es-rise-52672/
Needless to say, I don't need to know many Hyundai buyers to know their cars are selling in huge numbers. Hyundai have been gaining market share at the expense of low cost American, Euro and Japanese machines.

And I could also see that Chinese cars will gain in popularity too. The Asian car makers all started from humble origins. Most of them grow to become industrial giants.

I'm not saying anything new here. This trend has been taking place for the best part of 30 years.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:19 PM

GM Snagged Ewanick After Offering “Autonomy”

Looks like GM has wanted Ewanick for a while.....

Advertising Age reports that GM’s surprise landing of former Hyundai and Nissan marketing boss Joel Ewanick nearly didn’t happen. In fact it didn’t happen once. GM offered Ewanick the top marketing job over two months ago according to AA, but he turned down that offer due to concerns about the position’s autonomy from GM’s entrenched “old guard” bureaucracy. As AA’s insider source puts it:

He didn’t want to have to go through a half-dozen people to get something done. He wanted to be able to get on the phone and call one person and say “Can I do this, yes or no?” and get a quick answer.

Apparently it took GM several months before coming back to Ewanick, who is considered a “rock star” of automotive marketing, with an offer that included freedom from its notoriously oppressive bureaucracy.

Money was apparently not a big factor for Ewanick, who will likely make about $750k per year, not counting stock options, due to the conditions of GM’s bailout. Instead, it seems that ego and the sense of challenge is what is motivating wanick. As IHS Global Insight’s Aaron Bragman puts it

Can you imagine putting down ‘Turned around GM marketing’ on your résumé?

And there’s no doubt that Ewanick faces a hell of a mountain to climb as GM’s new marketing boss. Right out of the gate, Ewanick has to make a decision on the forthcoming Chevrolet marketing campaign that is apparently being built around the tagline “Excellence For Everyone.” Early reaction to the tagline, dreamed up by Ewanick’s predecessor Susan Docherty, has not been great and Ewanick will have to make a quick decision on whether to run with that line or to take charge of the situation. With those ads about 30 days out, his options are still open… and his decision will set the tone for his tenure at GM.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gm-...ring-autonomy/
Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

Hyundai is wayy ahead of gm, in both quality and looks. The new sonata is just too damn sexy compared to the Malibu that looks like a shoebox.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 06GTOm6
Hyundai is wayy ahead of gm, in both quality and looks. The new sonata is just too damn sexy compared to the Malibu that looks like a shoebox.
I would agree. Has GM got a vehicle out there that has a glass roof?

It's not a big thing but Hyundai is able to attract customers with features that set BMW, Mercs etc... apart.

It's the lack of focus on the little details that kill GM. Hyundai's quality was quite bad some 20 years ago but they have continuously improved. That's the difference.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
It's the lack of focus on the little details that kill GM. Hyundai's quality was quite bad some 20 years ago but they have continuously improved. That's the difference.
Actually I think a lot of the details were sweated on the Malibu.

Everyone suddenly acts like Malibu is such a POS...Maybe Sonata has passed it (maybe), but hey, it IS 3 years newer...Sonata is probably better than Camry as well, but few would consider Camry a bad choice (besides us).
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 PM

$199 Sonata leases are the explanation for their sales?

Lease a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GLS A/T for $199/month for 36 months, $2,399 due at lease signing ($2,200 customer cash down plus $199 for 1st month payment).

MSRP of $20,915.00 for 2011 Sonata (model #27402) including freight
Compare that to Honda's current lease for the Accord sedan.
$199/month for 36 months, $1,999 due at signing.
That's also for an Accord with a $1700 higher MSRP.

The Malibu has a $1999 lease that requires $2598 down at signing so it's a tad more, but it's also a 27 month lease instead of 36 months. It also has a $1000 higher MSRP.

I'm sure there's probably a similar deal for the Camry and Altima too.

So no the $199 lease doesn't explain its success.

I'd say the #1 reason for the Sonata doing well are its great looks (inside and out) and class leading MPG.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Actually I think a lot of the details were sweated on the Malibu.

Everyone suddenly acts like Malibu is such a POS...Maybe Sonata has passed it (maybe), but hey, it IS 3 years newer...Sonata is probably better than Camry as well, but few would consider Camry a bad choice (besides us).
Regardless of the effort that went into Malibu, it is merely average and does nothing to elevate GM's representative in the mid-compact FWD segment above and beyond the standard of its competitors.

No arguments from me if you think Sonata is a better car than Camry but the Camry is a great car (and it doesn't matter if people think otherwise here) because the sales numbers are proof that the car ticks all the right boxes.

The quality perception is still high for Toyota products. GM still have a way to go to challenge Toyota on this front.

How many people at GM honestly look themselves in the mirror and say with any integrity that they do a 'great' job at work, each day? I ask this because I am yet to be blown away by any GM product out there today. When you compare similarly priced vehicles, there is always something 'nicer' if you look elsewhere. That's the difficulty to have to face up to if you sold GM cars for a living. But more importantly, what are GM doing to change the perception, the product and quality around?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 PM

Well..he is in marketing..so he won't have much input on the cars or the product they sell. He is just the one who comes up with the BS to sell it.

Here is what is interesting. Docherty moved rapidly up the chain under Lutz's tenure. Lutz was put in charge of marketing for a few months, then he handed it to her. As soon as Lutz retires..she gets "reassigned". What a coincidence.

Quick Reply: GM's Docherty Swept Aside for Hyundai Marketing Whiz