Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM's Docherty Swept Aside for Hyundai Marketing Whiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
Well..he is in marketing..so he won't have much input on the cars. He has to sell what is given.

Here is what is interesting. Docherty moved rapidly up the chain under Lutz's tenure. Lutz was put in charge of marketing for a few months, then handed it to to her. As soon as Lutz retires..she gets "reassigned". What a coincidence.
That's right! So what is it with this "Excellence for Everyone" crap coming from GM's marketing dept? GM isn't about "Excellence". It's a car maker that's just come out of BK. It's starting from the bottom again just like the Asian car makers. Once again, GM must re-earn the trust of the consumer.

Success doesn't start with marketing. It starts with product. Somebody forgot to tell Susan Docherty that if you polish a turd, it's still just that!

EDIT: Are you implying that Lutz may have done a Tiger Woods number on Docherty?

Last edited by SSbaby; 05-10-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Chevy's problem is they think people are stupid. You just went bankrupt..there is no excellence in that.

Chevy needs to focus on it's past. It is Apple pie, nights at the drive though, the good old days. They need to remind people of that and take their minds off the present.

I always liked the "Heartbeat of America" line.

I would love to see some nostalgic commercials that have a modern twist at the end showing how the new Chevy is a class leader.

Imagine a commerical filmed in old style renacting the 67 Camaro launch and how all of America wants one. Then suddenly the screen lurchs and it jumps to a more modern style showing the same thing happening with the 2010 Camaro..ending with some kind of line like.."Some things are too good to do only once".

Originally Posted by SSbaby
That's right! So what is it with this "Excellence for Everyone" crap coming from GM's marketing dept? GM isn't about "Excellence". It's a car maker that's just come out of BK. It's starting from the bottom again just like the Asian car makers. Once again, GM must re-earn the trust of the consumer.

Success doesn't start with marketing. It starts with product. Somebody forgot to tell Susan Docherty that if you polish a turd, it's still just that!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 PM

I recall one of Lutz's lines... "people hate GM, but love Chevrolet".

I'm sure that GM could draw lot of equity from the Chevrolet brand if GM actually stopped dumbing down Chevrolet.

I cannot understand why GM persevere with that ugly bold line that pierces through its bowtie emblem - it cheapens the brand much like the nostril grille cheapened the Pontiac brand.

Of all the brands where GM has spent billions re-inventing each brand, it has failed to spend money on the brand that has the most credibility and loyalty.

GM should do a 'Cadillac' on Chevrolet and give it a suitable tag line. Chevrolet doesn't have to be dull, boring and cheap.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 AM

How many people at GM honestly look themselves in the mirror and say with any integrity that they do a 'great' job at work, each day? I ask this because I am yet to be blown away by any GM product out there today. When you compare similarly priced vehicles, there is always something 'nicer' if you look elsewhere. That's the difficulty to have to face up to if you sold GM cars for a living. But more importantly, what are GM doing to change the perception, the product and quality around?
Wow, that should **** off just about anyone that was still on the fence to whether or not you are a complete, total, and utter *******. Why are you even on this board again? Go crawl back under your bridge.

-Geoff
Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Wow, that should **** off just about anyone that was still on the fence to whether or not you are a complete, total, and utter *******. Why are you even on this board again? Go crawl back under your bridge.

-Geoff
Good thanks, yourself?

I don't know where you're coming from but I guess I should just leave your comment alone because I'm not allowed to make you cry.

Good luck with your projects.

I still stand by my comments because if you actually compared a GM car with a Euro, for example, there is a noticeable difference in perceived quality and style. The Euro machine just makes you feel like you in something special.

You'd have to wonder if GM actually benchmark their cars against some of the best built vehicles out there, like VW.

PS My comments do not apply to production line workers, just management.

Last edited by SSbaby; 05-11-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 AM

Regardless of the effort that went into Malibu, it is merely average and does nothing to elevate GM's representative in the mid-compact FWD segment above and beyond the standard of its competitors.
Malibu has done "something" right - I know Consumer Reports has few fans around here but it has been named a "Best Buy" in that influential publication 2 years running now. What is the last GM midsize car you could say that about?

No arguments from me if you think Sonata is a better car than Camry but the Camry is a great car (and it doesn't matter if people think otherwise here) because the sales numbers are proof that the car ticks all the right boxes.
It's been said many times here that Malibu is good but it may take a couple of iterations of being consistantly good to convince the masses. Camry and Accord had a stranglehold on the midsize sedan market. There isn't any one product from a company not named Honda or Toyota that is going to take over right away.

How many people at GM honestly look themselves in the mirror and say with any integrity that they do a 'great' job at work, each day?
Sorry, I agree with Geoff. This was a stupid statement.

I ask this because I am yet to be blown away by any GM product out there today.
Funny, because you'll defend Camaro and Holden products to the death here. Obviously they are making something you desire.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 06GTOm6
Hyundai is wayy ahead of gm, in both quality and looks. The new sonata is just too damn sexy compared to the Malibu that looks like a shoebox.

I can't speak of the quality differences, as I'm never even touched a Hyundai, but as far as looks, I think the 3 year old Malibu is still one of the best looking cars in it's class, and far better than the very awkwardly shaped new Sonata.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I can't speak of the quality differences, as I'm never even touched a Hyundai, but as far as looks, I think the 3 year old Malibu is still one of the best looking cars in it's class, and far better than the very awkwardly shaped new Sonata.

Just my opinion.
Yeah. Malibu certainly isn't flashy, but the LT and especially the LTZ models are very classy looking. I still don't care for the tail end though.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Funny, because you'll defend Camaro and Holden products to the death here. Obviously they are making something you desire.
I don't want to argue with you so I'll address the main point only.

It does not sound like you have had any real world experience with automobiles outside of the GM/Ford world. If you did, you wouldn't be so defensive about a lot of topics I touched on... and I don't care for Geoff Nobody's comments either.

Yes, I do love my Holdens and absolutely love the Camaro. And I don't care for Ford so long as there is a GM to support. And most of my discussions are about Camaro, Ford and Holden. But I am also not so myopic in my views in that I will continually praise GM products simply because I am a GM fan.

Cut a long story short, I want GM to be the best car maker in the world. It is far from it and you only need to look at what else is around to understand what I am talking about. GM are behind in many areas in the car game. Some products are great... but they can also be better. Many have stated here on this forum how Camaro (a product many consider a home run from GM) can be further improved (i.e. interior quality etc...), which servers to reinforce my point. Camaro is great for what it is but if you look at other products (and I don't mean the underdone Mustang) GM can do even better.

Sometimes you just have to take yourself away from your environment to actually see the wood from the trees. It's not difficult, remove yourself from the keyboard and discover the world for yourself. You might be pleasantly surprised by some of the product from the leading car brands... and realise why they are so revered and understand why people buy them in preference to what you may be confined to driving.

I will continue to support GM products but I write with integrity and if I feel that GM need some constructive criticism, I won't be pulling punches.

PS Camaro > Mustang despite what some posters want to believe.

Last edited by SSbaby; 05-11-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 AM

You're not going to get any arguments from me that there is always room for improvement with what GM builds. I doubt you'll get that argument from anybody in this particular forum.

But when you make incendiary, blanket statements like

How many people at GM honestly look themselves in the mirror and say with any integrity that they do a 'great' job at work, each day?
and

I ask this because I am yet to be blown away by any GM product out there today.
You're going to get some well-deserved pushback.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM

Yeah. Malibu certainly isn't flashy, but the LT and especially the LTZ models are very classy looking. I still don't care for the tail end though.
Hello, you just agreed with me yet you choose to be argumentative with many of my comments? You did state GM sweated on the details but you're obviously not convinced judging by your above admissions. Why the hypocrisy?

Malibu is typical of GM's 'good but not great' approach. Bland with a capital 'B'. GM has made good progress with Malibu but it's still no home run. Ford's Fusion is selling in larger numbers which is a worrying sign for GM given it's tried to address some of the Malibu's flaws.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 AM

You're not going to get any arguments from me that there is always room for improvement with what GM builds. I doubt you'll get that argument from anybody in this particular forum.

But when you make incendiary, blanket statements like

and

You're going to get some well-deserved pushback.

Well they are made slightly tongue in cheek but even so... understand this point... what's this topic about again? Susan Docherty and GM Marketing. In that context, my comments are absolutely valid. WhiteHawk should take a chill pill because he (and you) decided to take my point to the extreme. Anyway, I don't care for your combined assumptions...

Sure there's some brilliant people who work at GM and you know that my comments don't apply to them. GM's management is undergoing a restructure in case you haven't noticed so... there might be some truth in my comments, even if there was an element of sarcasm thrown in to describe the effort of some under-performers.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Hello, you just agreed with me yet you choose to be argumentative with many of my comments? You did state GM sweated on the details but you're obviously not convinced judging by your above admissions. Why the hypocrisy?

Malibu is typical of GM's 'good but not great' approach. Bland with a capital 'B'. GM has made good progress with Malibu but it's still no home run. Ford's Fusion is selling in larger numbers which is a worrying sign for GM given it's tried to address some of the Malibu's flaws.

I think you are taking this maybe a step too far.

A car doesn't have to be "flashy" to be good looking.

In fact, he said it was 'classy looking'.

I agree, I'd also say it is 'smart' looking.

Flashy can be a BAD thing in some segments.... perhaps this is one of them? Get too gimicky, and you get corny looking... which, ironically enough, is how I kinda feel about the new Sonata.

As for Malibu's flaws... I'd say it's biggest is not offering a nav system, and that oen is a real head scratcher to me, as it should basically be a 'plug n play' type of thing.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:52 AM

I think you are taking this maybe a step too far.

A car doesn't have to be "flashy" to be good looking.

In fact, he said it was 'classy looking'.

I agree, I'd also say it is 'smart' looking.

Flashy can be a BAD thing in some segments.... perhaps this is one of them? Get too gimicky, and you get corny looking... which, ironically enough, is how I kinda feel about the new Sonata.
Well sales are a good reflection on what the consumers think.

Somehow, the sales numbers and my opinions are matching perfectly.

Is Malibu a good car. Probably. So why is it selling 'poorly'?

If you were asked by your manager why your sales results were not improving (actually declining), do you think he'd be as understanding as you seem to be?

Dunno, maybe I'm being overly critical... but how many GM people like me have moved over to the other side and never returned for various reasons?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM

No hypocrisy. When I said "flashy" I was referring to its styling. A car can certainly be "unflashy" styling-wise and still be an excellent car. Isn't this the essence of Camry?

Malibu's sales are not "poor", actually for being on the market as long as it has with no updates and being GM's first real legit competitor in the midsize segment since God-knows-when, I think it's still holding up well. Does it need to be updated soon? Does it need to get better because it probably has been passed by the newer Fusion and Sonata? Yes and yes.

As for Malibu's flaws... I'd say it's biggest is not offering a nav system, and that oen is a real head scratcher to me, as it should basically be a 'plug n play' type of thing.
GM is still hung up on the whole OnStar thing, which is getting quite maddening. When are they going to admit that people don't look at OnStar as a good nav alternative?

Quick Reply: GM's Docherty Swept Aside for Hyundai Marketing Whiz