Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM's Docherty Swept Aside for Hyundai Marketing Whiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 AM

For the record, Malibu sales are --------- UP.

Up 12.8% this April compared to last April. Up 31.1% calendar year to date.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

Well considering you have me on your ignore list... great of you to chime in.

Last year was a poor sales year for all manufacturers, remember.

Even the old generation Malibu was a stronger sales performer than the current car, which only averages around est. 16000 sales per month.

Compare that result to the Fusion (20,000/mo) Camry/Accord (40,000/mo).

Another point, how many Malibu sales are to fleets and how does that compare to Fusion/Camry/Accord/Ultiima?

When you look at things objectively, there are c-h-i-n-k-s in GM's armour. I'm tired of reading all the excuses and reporting of sales results made up largely by spin (i.e. %'s instead of actual sales).
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Even the old generation Malibu was a stronger sales performer than the current car, which only averages around est. 16000 sales per month.
The old generation Malibu was crap. If it was selling more in sheer volume (and I don't have the numbers in front of me), it was doing so as a fleet queen and with massive incentives in a far better automotive market.

Another point, how many Malibu sales are to fleets and how does that compare to Fusion/Camry/Accord/Ultiima?
I don't know where to find the numbers, but I did find this - Ford ramping up fleet sales of Fusion.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2010-fus...ales-push.html
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM

I like the Malibu, but the Fusion is really a sweet car. You can even get a manual trans in one. I'm glad GM has a new Malibu in the pipeline though - because it's nearly time for a fresh one.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM

At first glance I thought the thread was titled GM's Douchery........I lol'd
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by R_ADKINS80
At first glance I thought the thread was titled GM's Douchery........I lol'd
Yeah I'd be laughing myself if the silly attacks weren't directed at me.

Just some precious princesses that can't make a distinction between a 'blanket statement' and a sarcastic question relating to the thread title.

As can be gleaned from this thread, even GM fans are demanding that under-performing staff at GM be sacked or replace with people who can perform the tasks expected.

On paper, at least, Ewanick, seems a perfect acquisition for GM as has seen the growth and continued ascendency of Hyundai.

PS last month, Sonata was comfortably outpacing the Malibu in sales... something just isn't right with GM's volume sellers. Malibu is but one example.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Koz

PS last month, Sonata was comfortably outpacing the Malibu in sales... something just isn't right with GM's volume sellers. Malibu is but one example.
The Sonata starts at $19,195, it's three years newer, and is rated at 24/35mpg with 198 HP.

The Malibu starts at $21,825, came out in the 2008 model year, and is rated at 22/30mpg with 169 HP. Though when it came out it was at/near the top of it's class.

The Sonata is selling better because it's much more fresh, and gets better fuel economy while delivering more power for $2000 less. Going by those pure specs, it's the better car. IMO the interior is much nicer too (in terms of design/aesthetics). Doesn't make Malibu a bad car, but it does indicate that it's time for a refresh/redesign.

My guess is Malibu sales were much stronger right after it was launched. I could be wrong though, since I'm too lazy to look up the sales numbers. I do remember that there was a big fuss about the average transaction price for Malibus jumping like $4000-$4500 between the old and new Malibus.

Last edited by Koz; 05-11-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
After all, how many people do you know, who aim to buy a Hyundai??
I own two of them.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Koz
The Sonata starts at $19,195, it's three years newer, and is rated at 24/35mpg with 198 HP.

The Malibu starts at $21,825, came out in the 2008 model year, and is rated at 22/30mpg with 169 HP. At the time it was at/near the top of it's class.

The Sonata is selling better because it's much more fresh, and gets better fuel economy while delivering more power for $2000 less. Going by those pure specs, it's the better car. IMO the interior is much nicer too. Doesn't make Malibu a bad car, but it does indicate that it's time for a refresh/redesign.

My guess is Malibu sales were much more strong when it was just launched. It's still a very nice car.
You'll get no arguments from me... it's good but not great. The (award winning) Saturn Aura was the same, the G6, too...

Hyundai's generous warranty might also be driving strong sales? Marketing 101...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 PM

You'll get no arguments from me... it's good but not great. The (award winning) Saturn Aura was the same, the G6, too...

Hyundai's generous warranty might also be driving strong sales? Marketing 101...
Hyundai's generous marketing for the Sonata may also be having an effect.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 AM

What I'm concerned about is the level of integrity and honesty we will see in the marketing that will come from Ewanick. The impression I've gotten from Hyundai's recent commercials is that they make some unrealistic claims comparing there cars to those of Mercedes. Maybe those are just the local commercials, I'm not sure. But that's far beyond accentuating the positive in your product and GM already got some grief over their "paid in full" ad campaign.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
What I'm concerned about is the level of integrity and honesty we will see in the marketing that will come from Ewanick. The impression I've gotten from Hyundai's recent commercials is that they make some unrealistic claims comparing there cars to those of Mercedes. Maybe those are just the local commercials, I'm not sure. But that's far beyond accentuating the positive in your product and GM already got some grief over their "paid in full" ad campaign.
All I'm concerned about is that the marketing brings in more sales. Leave the legal stuff to the lawyers and the courts. Afterall, RedBull doesn't actually give me wings, but it's an effective marketing campaign.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM

Yeah, there's something to be said for misleading the masses and taking their money, don't get me wrong! haha. At the same time, I can't help but cringe when I see blatantly false/misleading claims in commercials.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
Yeah, there's something to be said for misleading the masses and taking their money, don't get me wrong! haha. At the same time, I can't help but cringe when I see blatantly false/misleading claims in commercials.
You have evidence that their claims are false?

Quick Reply: GM's Docherty Swept Aside for Hyundai Marketing Whiz