Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Idea for a GTO tagline:)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 07:37 PM

Post Idea for a GTO tagline:)

The Original Muscle Car...REBORN!

What do you all think?

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!

Standing tall for V6 F-body owners everywhere!
Old 06-23-2002, 07:46 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by formula79:
The Original Muscle Car...REBORN!

What do you all think?

</font>
I think this is more appropriate:

The original muscle car: Raped and left for dead.

------------------
'69 GTO 400 H.O. 350 HP
'96 Bonneville 231 S.D.
'96 Sunfire 2.4L H.O.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:47 PM

Thumbs up

I like it,

Simple and succinct.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:07 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GOATCRAZY:
I think this is more appropriate:

The original muscle car: Raped and left for dead.

</font>
How can you say that?

I think the new GTO is a very trut to the original formula.

who cares if Holden makes it...and as far as styling...it could have looked like the Aztek

I am pretty sure it will give your 69 a run for its money.

Also I like the undertated look. If a car is undertsated from the factory then the people who like add one can do it themself.

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!

Standing tall for V6 F-body owners everywhere!
Old 06-23-2002, 10:11 PM

That's pretty good. Have that in a commercail and play "Little GTO" by the Beachboys.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:05 AM

Thumbs up

Sounds good to me. Pontiac should use the Little GTO song too. (off topic here......)I dont know how anyone can possibly complain about this car...with all the front drive nonsense coming from GM over the years and so many people wanting Holdens...we should be thankful the GTO is not like that lifeless fwd car they call the Impala!! I think the Monaro would also make a nice Chevelle.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:09 AM

Cool

Oh yeah, 305fan, I think that would be Ronnie And The Daytonas....someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:41 AM

The car is not even here yet and it's a show-stopper. The female buyer percentage will be significantly higher than 4th gen f-body. Not teenage girls, but ladies 30 - 50, definitely getting in on the act. The "REBORN" slogan is the perfect fit.. that is, IF they plan to keep the GTO around! which I hope they do. No sense in using that slogan if they kill it in a few years or if they're unsure of its future.

------------------
1982 Recaro Trans Am (Y84), LU5/WS6/CC1/G80/J65/etc. 3,070 orig. miles (6/20/2002) - http://ohok.com/82recaro
1985 Base Firebird, F41/LB8/GU5/etc. CB radio, 142kmiles. http://ohok.com/82recaro/kizzsfb.jpg
1984 Firebird S/E, WS6/LL1/MD8/etc. All original, 102kmiles. Sold 5/02 http://ohok.com/82recaro/kizzsse.jpg
Old 06-24-2002, 02:59 AM

People, the car is a Grand Prix/Am with a V8, RWD, and GTO emblems on it. How can you not be against the looks of the car?? Just because its gonna be a GM musclecar you settle for whatever BS they throw you?? We should go crazy like the F**d guys did until they got what they wanted. Its supposed to be a GTO, it should have some cues. Its almost like what they did with the looks of the new Impala, has nothing to do with the looks of any Impala among other things. That car looking like that should not be called GTO, I would think B.L. would have done better than this, and I hope he does still.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited June 24, 2002).]
Old 06-24-2002, 03:27 PM

Ronnie and the Daytonas did Little GTO.
They should use that in the new commercials but they'll have to change it a bit.
The original says, "little GTO, you really drive me wild. 3 dueces and a 4-speed, and a 389,....".
The new one would have to say something like, "little GTO, you really drive me (something that rhymes with six), fuel injection and a 6 speed, and a 346,...".

And they should bring back the Tiger campaign, with the tiger tails sticking out of the trunk. The GeeTeeOh ads. The GRRRRR ads. They need to use the old taglines of "The Great One" and "The Humbler".

There was one ad (GM got into a bit of trouble with it) that showed a '68 or '69 Verdoro Green GTO from the side, on the road, ready to make a turn from a feeder road onto Woodward Ave.

They ought to hire Jim Wangers to come up with an ad. He'd do the car proud.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:17 PM

Unhappy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IZ28:
People, the car is a Grand Prix/Am with a V8, RWD, and GTO emblems on it. How can you not be against the looks of the car?? Just because its gonna be a GM musclecar you settle for whatever BS they throw you?? We should go crazy like the F**d guys did until they got what they wanted. Its supposed to be a GTO, it should have some cues. Its almost like what they did with the looks of the new Impala, has nothing to do with the looks of any Impala among other things. That car looking like that should not be called GTO, I would think B.L. would have done better than this, and I hope he does still.</font>
IZ28, I guess I'm with you and GOATCRAZY on this one. I hope nobody thinks I don't like the car itself for any performance or styling reasons alone. It's the fact that it has been labelled a GTO. I spoke my peace about this several months ago in other threads, and I will not change my mind at this point.

GM chose to revive that moniker, they should have used cues from the originals to "make it obvious" that it was intended to be a GTO. (It didn't have to be a total redesign, but geesh - it IS another freakin' Grand Prix!) At this rate, GM will run out of performance names to throw on new stuff by next year! AND - I've said it before, I'll say it again... your beloved Camaro and Firebird names are now fair game too. Be very careful of how you all post on this GTO issue - it may come back to haunt you soon.

Slogans? Sales pitch? Yeah, like maybe...

The GTO - You gotta love it! Cause it's all they offered us.

or

The GTO - A nice performance V8 like old cars used to get but with some alloy pieces and a computer, a well-tuned suspension, all skillfully shrouded with a Grand Prix body. The boys at the Country Club will surely recognize "You've made it!" when they see you in this!

IZ28 is right here guys. EVEN IF YOU LIKE THE CAR FOR ALL THAT IT IS (and I DO like the car), you should still go crazy and blast GM for robbing the glory and name from another past legend to secure some quick sales. If you spout off on this forum about how much you love what GM has done - they will keep on doing it. Do you really like this as a GTO? Wouldn't you like it just as well if it were a Catalina or something else? So get ready for your '06 Camaro, with it's hi-tech V6 (no V8 option) and 4-doors. Because if that's what's "in" at that time and GM needs to sell cars, your beloved name will be on it.[edit] You've approved the process right here, right now by smooching up to this MONERO, er GTO, er um, whatever.

Flamesuit AND Common Sense meter - both on. Please just think about it a second before you write...

[This message has been edited by ProudPony (edited June 24, 2002).]
Old 06-24-2002, 04:21 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IZ28:
People, the car is a Grand Prix/Am with a V8, RWD, and GTO emblems on it. How can you not be against the looks of the car?? Just because its gonna be a GM musclecar you settle for whatever BS they throw you?? We should go crazy like the F**d guys did until they got what they wanted. Its supposed to be a GTO, it should have some cues. Its almost like what they did with the looks of the new Impala, has nothing to do with the looks of any Impala among other things. That car looking like that should not be called GTO, I would think B.L. would have done better than this, and I hope he does still.

</font>
I totally agree! It looks like a grand prix, and close to a cavalier. I wish GM could do something new and original for a change. What a pos this car turned out to be!
Old 06-24-2002, 04:43 PM

Angry

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JasonK94Z:
I totally agree! It looks like a grand prix, and close to a cavalier. I wish GM could do something new and original for a change. What a pos this car turned out to be!</font>
You guys can't be serious. A POS? Looks like a Grand Prix so it's crap. I get it. Kinda like the '93 Camaro looked like a Geo Storm so it was crap. Now everyone loves it. Someone had a quote or stat about 50% of people love a new design, 50% hate...then 75% of the people that hate it come around to liking it. I would think most of you would put more value in the content of the car anyways--it's bringing a lot more to the table than its looks. This car has 350HP!! Everyone bitched about the retro, no-imagination Thunderbird. Now everyone is pissed GM didn't do the same thing with the GTO. The Bel Air concept got ridiculed too--there's a car with some styling cues but not an all-out copy and no one liked it. We'll see how many of you change your tune once you actually see the car in person. "It's a Cavalier with 350hp, V8, rwd, 6-spd, irs--it sux! Where's the orange paint, decals, and wing?"

------------------
-JERRY-
'02 Impreza WRX
'88 Fiero Formula
'90 Sunbird LE For Sale
Formerly owned: '93 Firebird Formula
Old 06-24-2002, 04:50 PM

Oh, and as far as advertising for this, you gotta have the tiger in there somewhere with clips from the original's commercials.

[This message has been edited by jrp4uc (edited June 24, 2002).]
Old 06-24-2002, 05:21 PM

I have to say I agree with everything ProudP just said. Keep saying "sure, I'll buy it because its a GTO" and they'll keep the BS going instead of doing whats right and giving the people what they really want. People like the looks of the 93 Camaro?? (Well, they do look better than the current 1's but still) Yup, the looks and sales of the 4th Gen sure were impressive, put the car right on hiatus after 3 Gens and 25 years of incredible sales and interest. LOL, it looks like the people who designed the 4th Gens designed the GTO, DOH. I hope not, I don't think I'd let them design anything anymore. The car has to stand out, it has to be a car you can go to a cruise night or car show with and know people are gonna like it and say "theres the new GTO!!", not "that looks just like a Grand Am/Prix."

Quick Reply: Idea for a GTO tagline:)