Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mercedes leap-frogging RS4/M3/CTS-V? AMG C63 spied

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Mercedes leap-frogging RS4/M3/CTS-V? AMG C63 spied

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116250

The current C-class AMG is the C55, with 362 horsepower... it's quick but not class-leading, especially in the light of the new M3 w/ 400hp V8, CTS-V w/ 400hp V8, and RS4 w/ 420hp V8.

Well the C-class is getting a ground up redesign for 2008 - of which included enhancements expected is AMG's new potent 6.3L naturally aspirated V8 making 507hp and 465 torque. RWD, 7-speed automatic.

At 3450 pounds curb weight, it's relatively light, too (compared to its AMG relatives using the same motor)
I wouldn't be surprised if this car is capable of high 11s in the 1/4-mile.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:56 PM

Re: Mercedes leap-frogging RS4/M3/CTS-V? AMG C63 spied

Originally Posted by Threxx
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116250

The current C-class AMG is the C55, with 362 horsepower... it's quick but not class-leading, especially in the light of the new M3 w/ 400hp V8, CTS-V w/ 400hp V8, and RS4 w/ 420hp V8.

Well the C-class is getting a ground up redesign for 2008 - of which included enhancements expected is AMG's new potent 6.3L naturally aspirated V8 making 507hp and 465 torque. RWD, 7-speed automatic.

At 3450 pounds curb weight, it's relatively light, too (compared to its AMG relatives using the same motor)
I wouldn't be surprised if this car is capable of high 11s in the 1/4-mile.
Where are you getting this 3450 pound number from, and is it for the C63 model?

The current C55 is over 3700 pounds as tested by various magazines.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
Where are you getting this 3450 pound number from, and is it for the C63 model?

I can't remember where I saw it now. I tried to find it again and failed. It wasn't specifically for the C63 - it was the estimated range for all 08 C-class models and the top end of the range was ~3450ish, which I just assumed was the AMG model since it's always the heaviest. But maybe they weren't including the AMG model.

FWIW I just looked up the curb weight for the C55 and it's 3540.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:12 PM

I can't remember where I saw it now. I tried to find it again and failed. It wasn't specifically for the C63 - it was the estimated range for all 08 C-class models and the top end of the range was ~3450ish, which I just assumed was the AMG model since it's always the heaviest. But maybe they weren't including the AMG model.

FWIW I just looked up the curb weight for the C55 and it's 3540.
Funny how it gains so much weight when the magazines put it on their scales.

Manufacturer curb weight figures can be quite unreliable.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM

Funny how it gains so much weight when the magazines put it on their scales.

Manufacturer curb weight figures can be quite unreliable.
Curb weight is almost always quoted in stripped trip. For example if I can get an AMG C63 without heated seats, sunroof, navi, upgraded stereo, etc then you bet your *** THAT is the weight they will be citing, and without a single shred of non-factory installed weight, either.

When the mags test they often test more loaded up/featurful models, and I suspect it might not be uncommon for some 3rd party items to be in the vehicle at the time of weighing, too.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 PM

Well I just did a search and saw several editorial-tested curb weights ranging from 3560 to 3586, but nothing over 3600... much less over 3700. What were these mags that tested over 3700?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html
Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 PM

Curb weight is almost always quoted in stripped trip. For example if I can get an AMG C63 without heated seats, sunroof, navi, upgraded stereo, etc then you bet your *** THAT is the weight they will be citing, and without a single shred of non-factory installed weight, either.

When the mags test they often test more loaded up/featurful models, and I suspect it might not be uncommon for some 3rd party items to be in the vehicle at the time of weighing, too.
Yeah, I know. Will there really be a stripper C63? Also, Autocar prints both mfr and weights on a scale. On some cars, the scale comes in lighter. On others, it's very close. On cars like the new Jag XK (anyone notice how they all seem to be over 3700 pounds?), the mfr weight is always much lighter.

In the case of the C55, I don't see anything that would account for an extra 180 pounds. Maybe Road and Track left something in the trunk?

Last year, we found out that horsepower wasn't the same from every manufacturer. I'm thinking that they play games with weight, too.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:27 AM

Not looking up this specific car, but keep in mind that at least R&T (and possibly others) list both a curb weight AND a test weight. Curb weight ought to be somewhat close to what the manufacturer lists, though if the car is fully fueled or something (plus loaded w/ equipment, as Kyle mentioned), the car might weigh a bit more. I believe R&T's "test weight" includes a driver and their datalogging equipment, however. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 07-27-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Does anyone know where manufacturer weighs the car for curb weight? I would imagine that would have a difference due to gravity and altitude? Or are they all converted?
We did a lot of gravity equations in my physics of astronomy class a couple years ago and basically there's nowhere on earth that's going to make a significant impact on gravity.

I mean, if you placed a vehicle magically in the air at about 16000 feet of altitute, it would weigh about 2 hundredths of a percent less (2 tenths of a pound for every 1000 pounds of weight). But, well, first of all the fact is if you are 16000 feet in the air, you are on top on a big mountain, and that extra mass underneath you will reverse that decreased gravitation effect to an extent. It might be safe to assume it's effectively lowered to 1 hundredth of a percent decrease, or 1 tenth of a pound per 1000 pounds.

And then the question arises, what are you doing testing a car at 16000 feet above sea level anyway?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:40 PM

It would still be hard to pass up an RS4 for an AMG C63. I would be extremely suprised if the Merc came in at 3450lbs.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 PM

My first thought when I saw this title was that its to be expected as Mercedes has been in the hipo sedan game longer than almost anyone.

However, its certainly good to see that domestic offers are playing a part in forcing them to be somewhat less overpriced and better performing.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Blah. Looks like another anonymous MB to me. Nothing near the same league in head-turning styling like the CTS-V. And anyone who thinks Cadillac is just going to sit around and not improve the next CTS-V is fooling themselves.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:00 AM

Hmmmm... Maybe this is just a synaptic misfire but this makes me think it might be a little more likely we see a SC N* in the new CTS-V.

The base model has been pretty much confirmed to get a little bigger a bit more powerful and AWD ability. So that means more money, which on paper means moving up out of the wierd market position its been in.

So that would lead me to believe they would make the magazines call the engine something other than "uncivilized"... I don't remember if it was likely that the N* was going to get the money it needed dumped into it though... Oh well.

[/hijack]
Old 07-28-2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Blah. Looks like another anonymous MB to me. Nothing near the same league in head-turning styling like the CTS-V. And anyone who thinks Cadillac is just going to sit around and not improve the next CTS-V is fooling themselves.
You could tell this through all of the camo and high distance low quality spy photos? Or have you seen other non camo'd shots? Recently Mercedes latest styling directions have really tickled my fancy... though their price structure and reliability still keep me far away.

I don't think the CTS-V has very head turning styling, to be honest. Maybe next next will help that, but right now to me it looks like a kind of generic looking car that is trying to look bold.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:28 PM

acutalling I htink that V8 is a 6.2L

Either way, MB AMG loves that V8.. They are litterally putting/have put that V8 in ALL their vehicles across their board. Plus they hinted at slapping turbo's on it eventually.

Quick Reply: Mercedes leap-frogging RS4/M3/CTS-V? AMG C63 spied