Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang Mach1 advertising rip-off

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 03:56 PM

Ford is most certainly taking potshots at GM over Camaro. It started a month ago, and it's only going to get worse, especially when the new one comes out.

BUT..... GM isn't above doing the same thing. Look towards the last few pages of the 2002 Camaro brochure, and what do you see? A picture of a Camaro police car pulling over a Mustang.

For those of you who need an explaination, Ford's 94 SN95 Mustang marked the year that Ford formally pulled the Mustang SS (Special Service) from production, and left the market to Camaro. 2000-2002 Camaro was becoming very popular with the Highway Patrol guys (California ordered 100..... in it's heyday, the CHP usually ordered no more than 95).
Old 11-04-2002, 03:58 PM

Red face

Make that in CHP Mustang's heyday.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:11 PM

Heh.. A current TV Comercial, for Matchbox Emergency Vehicles toys, two vehicles burst thru the Matchbox logo, and one of them is a late 4th gen LS1 Camaro Cop car!!

Originally posted by guionM
Ford is most certainly taking potshots at GM over Camaro. It started a month ago, and it's only going to get worse, especially when the new one comes out.

BUT..... GM isn't above doing the same thing. Look towards the last few pages of the 2002 Camaro brochure, and what do you see? A picture of a Camaro police car pulling over a Mustang.

For those of you who need an explaination, Ford's 94 SN95 Mustang marked the year that Ford formally pulled the Mustang SS (Special Service) from production, and left the market to Camaro. 2000-2002 Camaro was becoming very popular with the Highway Patrol guys (California ordered 100..... in it's heyday, the CHP usually ordered no more than 95).
Old 11-04-2002, 10:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Mustang Mach1 advertising rip-off

Originally posted by Darth Xed
I think I just got dumber reading your post

Pontiac slogan : "The muscle car lives"
Ford slogan: "The muscle car lives on"

Hmmm... ya, you are right, nothing similar there at all...

GTO name a rip off? Perhaps...
Trans Am and Grand Prix, and LeMans? No.

ahahahaa that just made my day reading that
Old 11-07-2002, 03:46 AM

2 things, i read on here i think it was that the car used in that commercial was actually a kit car, so they wouldn't get sued, etc.

The other this is kind of on and off topic, but i personally have to hand it to Ford or the mustang division in paticualar. They have the normal GT which produces 260 horsepower which is pretty nice in my opinion. Then, the Fbody goes out, and they bring in a badass 03 cobra 390 horsepower monster, bring back the Mach 1, next year the Boss 302, they seem to really have there stuff together, quality issues with the 03 cobra or not.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:09 PM

What's really sad, jd, is what if Camaro & Firebird wasn't killed off?

Since we know GM wasn't going to spend any money the 4th gen that didn't relate to discontinued engines, 2003 would be the year Ford got us. The Mach1 would make a race with a Z28 boil down to who was the better shifter, at roughly the same price as the average Z. But even worse, for the price of an SS or WS6, the Cobra would be handing those owners their a**es right & left.

Just a thought, but maybe, just maybe, instead of watching the f-body go down to Mustang, Chevrolet decided to simply retire them.

Don't laugh, there is people here who actually believe there's some "secret agreement" with the Ste. Therse plant preventing GM from using the Camaro name..... not to mention Elvis is still alive.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:29 PM

Talking Awww man....

Originally posted by guionM
Don't laugh, there is people here who actually believe there's some "secret agreement" with the Ste. Therse plant preventing GM from using the Camaro name..... not to mention Elvis is still alive.
Awww man... that was a low-blow!!!

Everybody knows Elvis is dead!

My personal thoughts for why GM killed the Camaro is because they need the name to go on their upcoming 2-door hatchback high-performance SS - SUV! They have run out of old names to pimp-off on new models, so they now have to start killing-off current models with name recognition to have badges for the new models. Silly, it had nothing at all to do with the '03 Cobra development.

J/K w/you!
Proud