Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang vs Camaro yearly sales totals (reference as needed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Needs source for mustang sales

Hi there,

I found your post in this forum very interesting and I'm actually doing a marketing project on the history of the ford Mustang. I was wondering if you were able to tell me where to get the sale numbers for 2000 until 2008. Where did you find this information?

You would be very nice to help me out here. I've been searching the internet for this a lot and your post was the only thing that really helped me out.

Thanks a lot!!!

-G
Old 02-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by guillaumevf
Hi there,

I found your post in this forum very interesting and I'm actually doing a marketing project on the history of the ford Mustang. I was wondering if you were able to tell me where to get the sale numbers for 2000 until 2008. Where did you find this information?

You would be very nice to help me out here. I've been searching the internet for this a lot and your post was the only thing that really helped me out.

Thanks a lot!!!

-G
I normally get my information directly from the media services of each car company (GM Ford & Chrysler).

You should also be able to type in "Mustang Production Numbers" Or "Mustang Sales Numbers" and the appropriate year into Google or Yahoo, and get a number of sources.

If you want to get int breakdowns and specifics, contact "Proudpony" on this site. While I have to jog my memory and often look things up, this person can recite any Mustang trivia or source off the top of his head.

Good Luck.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 PM

Holy old post batman, I was reading it and it didn't make sense that the 2002 Camaro numbers haven't been released yet...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Since this is back on top, should be said that if you haven't ordered a 2009 Mustang by now, you can probably forget about it. Ford's only making 45,000 this year, and then they are going to switch over to the new 2010s.

The 2 door Challenger is outselling the supposedly volume making Dodge Avenger. Dodge is still selling about 2 Chargers for each Challenger, but the fact that Chrysler supposedly only expected to sell about 30,000 Challengers annually and save for the factory shutdown, they are on target to easily sell 32,000 this model year making the Challenger a pretty big success at Chrysler (in December, it's sales were within 500 cars of the Chrysler 300).

In December, Ford sold 4,027 Mustangs.
Dodge sold 2,602 Challengers.

Unrelated comparisons for a bit of perspective:

*VW sold 1600 Beetles
*Hyundai sold 601 Tiburons
*Infiniti sold 1,053 G35/37 coupes
*Scion sold 1,794 Xb
*Chevy sold 1,324 Corvettes & 2,257 Aveos
*Pontiac sold 2,464 G5s & 1,479 G8s

I haven't gotten the breakdowns for Cobalt and Honda's Accord, but barring those 2 vehicles, seems the Challenger is the 2nd best selling sports coupe in the US... at the moment.

The way it stacks up against that offbeat collection of cars is also very good considering save the Corvette, G35/37 and maybe the G8, the Challenger likely brings in more money per car than the others.

Not bad at all.

Last edited by guionM; 02-09-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

so pretty much every year there was never a shortage of mustangs for camaros to take down.

All I see driving mustangs now is a bunch of old white trash women or over the hill men.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:03 PM

LOL. Nothing like an informative thread going down the tubes.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by hey01
so pretty much every year there was never a shortage of mustangs for camaros to take down.

All I see driving mustangs now is a bunch of old white trash women or over the hill men.
Looking at Mustang's demographics, the average age of a Mustang buyer is 35 years old.

55% of all Mustang buyers are men, but that jumps up for the GT to over 65% (roughly 4th gen Camaro's level). That goes to about 90%+ for men for the Cobra and GT500 (the only model with a key demographic above 40....which by the way was the 4th gen Camaro's buyer median age).

In 2002, a far higher percentage of Mustang GTs went out as manuals than Camaro LS1s.... alot higher.

If you are seeing nothing but old white trash women and over the hill men driving Mustangs, you might consider getting out of Jacksonville Florida a bit more often.

Last edited by guionM; 02-09-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Here's the correct Third Gen numbers against just the M*****g.
Hey I noticed something about your keyboard, I bet its aggrevating as hell the U - S - T - A - N keys dont work correctly all the time?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Hey I noticed something about your keyboard, I bet its aggrevating as hell the U - S - T - A - N keys dont work correctly all the time?
Wow, 7 y/o post. Definetly, these days it looks more like this though: M*stang. This is, after all, enemy territory! (more like competitive territory, and it should stay that way I think, good for business )

Last edited by IZ28; 02-09-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 PM

10chars
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Since this is back on top, should be said that if you haven't ordered a 2009 Mustang by now, you can probably forget about it. Ford's only making 45,000 this year, and then they are going to switch over to the new 2010s.
Nice post.

Funny you picked-up on this Guy. You are into the numbers as usual!
Some other poster(s) on this site would probably think Ford was throwing in the towel on the '09 Mustang because the new Challenger is faster than the GT.
But I'm boubting that myself.

So here we have another totally freakish accident that nobody can explain from Ford... they are making 45,000 units in 6 months, and that's it.
Oh, and some retard put this unique, never-before used "horseshoe" with the numbers "4" and "5" across it on this short-run of cars too.
Something about a birthday or anniversary... I don't recall.

Could this be some kind of marketing strategy...
hmmm.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 AM

Bumporama. Great thread

And Mustang only outsold Challenger by a couple hundred units in January 09 (2,944 to 2,757). That's pretty amazing for Dodge considering the overall state of the market.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Bumporama. Great thread

And Mustang only outsold Challenger by a couple hundred units in January 09 (2,944 to 2,757). That's pretty amazing for Dodge considering the overall state of the market.
But think about it - Challenger is totally fresh, new offering. It';; NEVER get a better demand than it has now. Those who have been waiting years for it.. now have it.

Nowhere to go but...
Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Bumporama. Great thread

Every since Challenger went to a full line, it's sales have been almost exactly what the Monte Carlo was it's last few years.

I think that the appeal with the Challenger is exactly what appeals to me on a practical sense: It's the only full sized coupe on the market that doesn't have a BMW or Mercedes Benz name on the front or price tag on the window!

On a person sense, having RWD a big but not-so-thirsty V8, and an avalable manual for the price of what a Monte Carlo SS or Grand Prix GXP would cost today with a few years of inflation is a much bigger pull than the detractors of it classic looks and proportions might think.

I was never "waiting" for another Dodge Challenger. I doubt very many people were. Chrysler is actually bringing in new buyers with the Challenger. It's simply a good car.... and the only vehicle of it's kind (including price) in the US if not the world.

A sidenote on the idea that high auction prices on old Challengers mean that they are in high demand:

The reason why they are astronomically priced in Barrett Jackson auctions is because they are extremely, extremely rare (much how certain 69 Camaros are worth 25 grand while others...ie: ZR1 versions... bring up to 500K.

First, Challengers came out just when pony car sales went into a nosedive, and were around only a few years. Then, if that didn't make them rare enough, there is the fact that 70s era Dodge Challengers had an issue with rust. Any that lasted into the 80s (let alone into the new century) a matter of luck dry humidless air, and a few very skilled welders and replacement body parts more than anything else.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM

You all are comparing a brand new (1/2 model year old) to a 4 year old design? Challenger's bubble will pop just like the other LX's. Granted it will probably pop back to where Chrysler projected volumes, so that is a good thing for them.

Quick Reply: Mustang vs Camaro yearly sales totals (reference as needed)