Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Screw CTSv, I got an EVO

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 10:06 AM
slt

Screw CTSv, I got an EVO

I was ready to buy a $35-$40k CTSv, $50K is too much. So for $30K I got:

13.8 1/4 mile
0-60 in 5.0 sec
.97g on the skidpad
4 weel drive
4 piston brembo brakes
Recardo racing seats
5 speed with 3 syncros for 1st and 2nd gears
aluminum front clip
A rather large back seat
HID's that are adjustable with a button on the dash
Automatic water sprayers to keep the intercooler cool

And best of all, its a 4 door 4 cylinder, so my insurance doesn't even go up

Im a chevy guy at heart, but what chevy am I supposed to buy?

Last edited by slt; 04-24-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:10 AM

Awesome car man. Guys on the site may rag on you for it (the obvious domestic bias), but when you break it down the Evo is an awesome ride. If do a search in the lounge, you should be able to find a post by Robvas in which a guy drove a bone stock evo to a 13.1 quarter at ~102-104mph. I think most guys are pulling mid 13s with them. Its gonna be awesome when guys are running mid 12s with minimal mods.

I'd love to see some pictures of it.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:14 AM

You were never going to wait for a CTSv. The pricing hasnt been released yet. It may be 50 grand it may be 40 grand. But its worth 20K more than the evo. Oh, the CTSv is not a chevy.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:19 AM

A CTSv can be the bargain of the century and be $40k, but if you can't afford it--you can't afford it! It is also a car no one has even driven and is getting a lot of hype on it's drivetrain alone. And at the end of the day, I bet it has comparable performance numbers (or is short of) the Evolution...which costs $29k. Shows you want kind of a bargain it is!

The Evo is an excellent car. Personally, I would have waited to compare it with the WRX STi, which will only cost $2k more than the Evo ($30,995). It'll top all of those numbers posted above for the Evolution.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:32 AM
slt

Originally posted by Evil Turbo SS
You were never going to wait for a CTSv. The pricing hasnt been released yet. It may be 50 grand it may be 40 grand. But its worth 20K more than the evo. Oh, the CTSv is not a chevy.

I don't think it really is worth an extra $20K. It would **** me off to pay an extra $20,000 to look at someone elses tailights

JMO
Old 04-24-2003, 10:32 AM

EVO is not my cup of tea, but it is a nice performer.

Congrats.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:35 AM
slt

Originally posted by bigsteve7
I'd love to see some pictures of it.
Me too, It doesn't arrive untill June 10th though. O'well, just enough time to clean up and sell my car. If I wanted one now, it would have to of been white or yellow, I'm holding out for blue.

Hopefully the 5th gen camaro will be a perfect replacement car when it comes out in'07.

For what its worth, the mustang was never a consideration for me.

Last edited by slt; 04-24-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:43 AM

So for $30K I got:
You forgot to add "One hideously ugly body"

But it IS quite quick. I might be looking at the WRX STi later this summer if any are laying around on dealer lots.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:03 AM

Uh.... you were going to buy a Cadillac, but you went for a Mitsubishi instead? Um....OK.

To me $30 grand is a little steep for a car like that, but a car purchase is purely a matter of what appeals to someone, so congratulations! It is no doubt one hot car.

Out of curiosity, did you consider the Dodge SRT-4?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:39 AM

EVO's look cool especially in the rear view mirror... Its no CTSv but who has time to wait for that. The Lancer EVO is a bit too ricy for me but I can see why people like them. Good luck with it!
Old 04-24-2003, 11:49 AM
slt

Originally posted by guionM
Uh.... you were going to buy a Cadillac, but you went for a Mitsubishi instead? Um....OK.

To me $30 grand is a little steep for a car like that, but a car purchase is purely a matter of what appeals to someone, so congratulations! It is no doubt one hot car.

Out of curiosity, did you consider the Dodge SRT-4?
Hey, I was with you guys up untill 3 days ago at which point I saw one in real life. Yes, I will shave the wing, but other than that, this is a sharp car, it is not riced out at all.

This car will outperform a corvette, especially in the turns, and you all say $30k is too much. I know most of you will have the knee jerk reaction of hating it w/o even giving it a chance. Keep your eyes shut and remain a bunch of haters, no skin off my back, but this car is the performance bargain right now. Minimal mods and it will run high 12's.

The SRT is another dodge POS. A powerful engine shoehorned in a ****ty car (aka viper).
Old 04-24-2003, 11:55 AM

Well, basically the line of thought is that you're paying 30 grand for a Lancer. Which is an econo-car.

Personally I think the EVO looks silly, but it is quite a performer. It's just sad nowadays because there are no real choices other than the Mustang if you want a "muscle" car.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by slt
Hey, I was with you guys up untill 3 days ago at which point I saw one in real life. Yes, I will shave the wing, but other than that, this is a sharp car, it is not riced out at all.

This car will outperform a corvette, especially in the turns, and you all say $30k is too much. I know most of you will have the knee jerk reaction of hating it w/o even giving it a chance. Keep your eyes shut and remain a bunch of haters, no skin off my back, but this car is the performance bargain right now. Minimal mods and it will run high 12's.

The SRT is another dodge POS. A powerful engine shoehorned in a ****ty car (aka viper).
I'm pretty open minded to just about any car, and I'm not going to say the EVO is a bad car... far from it.

However, being that loaded Mitsubishi Lancers pretty much top out at $16-18,000, I just really question as to whether there is enough stuff on that car to justify the $12-14,000 price increase, and if it's really worth the 33% premium over the SRT-4. Nothing more, nothing less. That's all.

None the less, you obviously don't like Chrysler (The SRT-4 engine is from Mitsubishi ), so my question's been answered.

Last edited by guionM; 04-24-2003 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by slt
I know most of you will have the knee jerk reaction of hating it w/o even giving it a chance. Keep your eyes shut and remain a bunch of haters,...

Originally posted by slt
Old 04-24-2003, 12:05 PM

Id rock an EVO, they're cool looking, but it and the CTSv are not even in the same class of cars.

Quick Reply: Screw CTSv, I got an EVO