Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Screw CTSv, I got an EVO

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 03:13 PM

anyways, like it or not, these new 4 door cars are definantly raising the bar of performance.. be it a M3, Evo, WRX, Neon, CTSv

back to the orig topic, I don't blame you for looking at the Evo instead of the CTSv. If I had the money laying around I would definantly be considering it..
Old 04-24-2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by slt
What does a corvette run stock, right around 13.5 & 0-60 in 5 sec. what does a stock corvette pull on the skidpad, .85??

Corvette vs Evo
13.5 sec vs 13.5 sec
5.0 sec vs 5.0 sec
.85g vs .95g
45K vs 30k
Just to let you know, your Vette numbers are a bit on the "soft" side Anyways, congrats on the new ride and have fun!

-Mike
Old 04-24-2003, 03:41 PM

Gee....we actually are now comparing Corvettes to FWD sedans??

Look, the EVO is a great little car. I even congratulated slt on his purchase. It's hella quick, handles hella well, and is chock full of the latest street high-tech. In it's class nothing can touch it outside of the upcomming WRX and the SRT-4 (the difference to 60, let alone in the quarter mile can still be a tossup in the real world), so I don't know how it ended up being compared to the Vette.

Meccadeth, Chrysler has a reputation (well deserved) that far exceeds their actual cars today, which I wouldn't exactly call a POS. My mom has a Neon which was a problem child after 30,000 miles. A co-worker back in San Diego had a newer one he ran the wheels off without a hitch.

As for the Viper, it isn't for everyone because it's a purpose built car, just like the original Cobras. If one want's luxury or utility use, I don't think that person would buy a Camaro, let alone a Viper. But enough people want one that Chrysler has always had a pretty sizable waiting list to get one.

Not every car is for every one. I would have prefered the SRT-4, slt prefered the EVO, that's all.

It's not like he chose a Silverado SS over a Lightning.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by guionM

Meccadeth, Chrysler has a reputation (well deserved) that far exceeds their actual cars today, which I wouldn't exactly call a POS. My mom has a Neon which was a problem child after 30,000 miles. A co-worker back in San Diego had a newer one he ran the wheels off without a hitch.

As for the Viper, it isn't for everyone because it's a purpose built car, just like the original Cobras. If one want's luxury or utility use, I don't think that person would buy a Camaro, let alone a Viper. But enough people want one that Chrysler has always had a pretty sizable waiting list to get one.

I'm going to slap myself for SLT because I'm hijacking this a bit...

Chrysler does have a deserving reputation, but Dodge gets undeserved credit in my mind. I shouldnt have called the Viper a POS, but if you take away that engine, then it is a basicly a POS...but it is a fast one at that...And as for that sizable waiting list, doesnt Dodge sell like, 2000 of those a year or something? And last I heard, they took a loss in $$ in their 1st gen Vipers.

Once again, sorry SLT...
Old 04-24-2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by slt
What does a corvette run stock, right around 13.5 & 0-60 in 5 sec. what does a stock corvette pull on the skidpad, .85??

Corvette vs Evo
13.5 sec vs 13.5 sec
5.0 sec vs 5.0 sec
.85g vs .95g
45K vs 30k
Those are numbers for a Vette from over 10 years ago, except for the skidpad, so if that's what you were going for then fine. I can't remember when a Corvette had such a low skidpad number.....................I think the Beatles had thier first album that year.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:23 PM
slt

AWD
Old 04-24-2003, 06:27 PM

Id wager that the Cobra would be every bit as fast, if not faster, than the EVO on a road course.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:30 PM

Somebody send the DEA after slt he must be smoking from the largest stash of wacky tabaky in the US!!!

13.3 @107.5 R&T stock c5 350 hp
12.90 @ 108 GMHTP stock c5 350 hp

I have never seen a c5 below .90

I have driven my old 99 C5 to a 13.2 @106
I have driven my z06 to a 12.1 @ 116mph on stock tires I have seen others go into the high 11s in a 02/03 z06. The z06 does over 1 G in some tests has better stopping slolom ect....

Hell, my 01 SS went 12.90 w 11k on the clock, stock.

Give me any paved surface and any test of performance (besides 0-15 mph)Put me in my z06 and put any driver you want in the evo and I will win. Oh, hom many groceries you can haul 0-60 isnt a performance test.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:51 PM

THe new Evo is quick, but it is a cheap $12,000 car with a $20,000 suspension and powertrain upgrade. I have seen old Chevettes do 10 sec. in the 1/4mi.

Plus it doesn't have that classy look of an M3 or CTSv.

if I was going to pay $30K-36K on a new car I'd get the CTSv, no need to cheap out to save 3 or 4 grand. if you really wanted to save some cash you should have just got the SRT-4 there is only like a 2/10th sec difference in the 1/4mi.

chicks will think you gay in your Evo. (not that there is anything wrong with that)
Old 04-24-2003, 07:06 PM

But there is something wrong with thinking your evo can beat any C5.

Im sticking with my under the influence theory.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:24 PM

Congrats on ur purchase slt. not exactly what im into but hey different people like different cars.

But as much as you'll like ur Evo, there is no way its gonna outrun a C5. And against a Z06, forget about it. not flaming on you or anything but thinking a turbo 4 sedan can take a world class sports car in the twisties is a little far fetched. now on the rally course, thats a different story
Old 04-24-2003, 07:40 PM

Geeeeez this is exactly what I'm thinking. I've been sick all week and I come back to read this......man we need some new convo.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by slt
AWD
I'd better update this a bit since we now are comparing the EVO sedan to CTSv's and the Corvette/EVO comparison has elevated to a Z06/EVO comparison.

I'm just waiting for someone to drag out the Space Shuttle or a Nimitz Class carrier for a g-force or horsepower comparison next.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:30 PM

They gotta go though John Force first!
Old 04-24-2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth

...and the Viper is a POS with a powerful engine, exactly what he said. It has no utility use, no luxery, besides the convertable...
And the Evo will keep up w/ a 350 Horse C5 and nearly the 400 HP Z06 in a straight line. So hes just comparing the performance of these cars, and right fully so...
Just curious, not to stir flames, but why is Viper considered a POS vehicle? Isn't it a pretty solid performer? If you say Viper is POS, wouldn't Corvette be too?

And who the heck buys those car for utility? Really, do you think I will ask the saleperson "gee, I'm wondering, can I fit a pair of skis inside? I'm thinking of going to Aspen come this January."

Evo will beat C5 right off the line, possibly to 60 mph. C5 does have good advantage at higher speeds, as is attested to by trap speed. It does pull lower Gs, that is for sure, but I do not think they're below .90.

As for Evo/Z06... It is absurd that a car that traps 12 mph less in the quarter mile would "keep up".

Having said all of the above, I think Evo is a great package. Congratulations on acquiring such a neat piece of machinery, I am certain you will enjoy it in the years to come. And this is no sarcasm either , I mean it.

Quick Reply: Screw CTSv, I got an EVO