Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Screw CTSv, I got an EVO

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Z28x
THe new Evo is quick, but it is a cheap $12,000 car with a $20,000 suspension and powertrain upgrade. I have seen old Chevettes do 10 sec. in the 1/4mi.

Plus it doesn't have that classy look of an M3 or CTSv.

if I was going to pay $30K-36K on a new car I'd get the CTSv, no need to cheap out to save 3 or 4 grand. if you really wanted to save some cash you should have just got the SRT-4 there is only like a 2/10th sec difference in the 1/4mi.

chicks will think you gay in your Evo. (not that there is anything wrong with that)
Read an earlier posting on base V6 Mustang vs. Cobra. Same difference.

As great as SRT-4's straight-line performance is, it's no good handler. And it IS only FWD, and has LOTS of torque steer. It doesn't even compare to Evo. SRT-4 is designed to be an econobox car with great engine. Evo is designed to be a solid performer in all respects (handling, breaking, not just acceleration). And we will see which car will start to fall apart in 3 years, you bet your shiny metal *** my money is on the Neon. (Italics Bender's)
Old 04-25-2003, 01:20 AM

Jeez, some of you guys are really downplaying the LS1 alot.

Saying an Evo can beat a C5 is rediculous. Add the Z06 to the mix and it's straight up no contest.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by Schismblade
Saying an Evo can beat a C5 is rediculous. Add the Z06 to the mix and it's straight up no contest.
You guys are missing the entire point. Wasn't it just last week everyone was raving that a misquoted BobLutz had said the 400hp CTSv would be available for $36k. 0-60mph in about 5 sec or less for mid $30s. Everyone was signing up for it.

Now it is all but confirmed that the CTSv will sticker for $40k+...but this Evo is pulling off just as impressive performance for UNDER $30,000!! --and near everyone is slamming this guy for buying one!! It is a credit to the Evo that it is even being mentioned in the same breath as the Corvette. I would hope a Vette/Z06 will outperform it---it costs $20k+ more!!

And for those who insist on drawing comparisons or making the case for a SRT-4 (which is "only" a half second slower to sixty and a full second in the quarter) because of a cheaper price tag is like suggesting someone buy a Mustang GT over a Trans Am WS6. It's the same type of car, right? Why not save some coin and get close to the same performance?? We all know there is more to those two cars, just as there are more that separates the Evo and SRT-4. It's just a matter of the people on this board knowing nothing more about them than what the magazines print on the last page.

BTW, I think many would consider the Viper "less than spectacular" in areas outside of its engine and performance numbers. It is still an $80k muscle car, and--certainly moreso with the first gens--was known to have low quality interiors and heat issues for its occupants. Why do you think the Vette is usually the winner in the head-to-heads? It's delivers almost the same performance and is a higher quality and more livable car.

Last edited by jrp4uc; 04-25-2003 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:46 AM

slt, what minor mods can be done to get the EVO into the 12's?
Old 04-25-2003, 09:08 AM
slt

Originally posted by CLEAN
slt, what minor mods can be done to get the EVO into the 12's?
Not sure, I'm new to the Evo sceen, but I know my GF's turbo GTI repsonded very well to a chip and a 2.75" catback. Remember there are some of these (evos) running 13.1 stock. There is a WRX across the street from where I work that has about $3,000 in it, alot of that in the suspension, that runs consistent 12's at the track, not bad since those only cost like $24k new.

I'm not saying this car is a corvette killer, I'm comparing the two more for dramatic effect. In all reality, stock vs stock, the Corvette would win more times than it would loose, BUT it would be a damn close race and Evo would definatley win in the hadling department, all for $15,000 less. The EVO beats the corvette at it's own game when it comes to affordable performance.

And if the CTSv does come out @$36,000, I will eat my $500 deposit I layed down for the EVO and buy one.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:33 AM
slt

Originally posted by Z28x
THe new Evo is quick, but it is a cheap $12,000 car with a $20,000 suspension and powertrain upgrade. I have seen old Chevettes do 10 sec. in the 1/4mi.
The EVO is not a 12K lancer with just a power train upgrade, Major structural reinforcements give it twice the rigidity of a lancer. I could wast a lot of space going over the differences/improvements. The two share very little in common. This is not a neon w/a turbo.

Plus it doesn't have that classy look of an M3 or CTSv.
Can't argue with that, doen't have a $50k price tag though, either

if I was going to pay $30K-36K on a new car I'd get the CTSv, no need to cheap out to save 3 or 4 grand.
For an extra 6k, I would buy a CTSv too.

if you really wanted to save some cash you should have just got the SRT-4 there is only like a 2/10th sec difference in the 1/4mi.
Again, the SRT is just a Neon w/ a turbo. It doesn't compare to the EVO.

chicks will think you gay in your Evo. (not that there is anything wrong with that)
If chicks think I'm gay for driving an EVO then they will think you are a hoosier with an insecurity problem for driving a Camaro. One of the first things my GF noticed about the EVO was the possibilities with its large backseat. Her exact words went something like "you cant do that in a G35"
Old 04-25-2003, 11:06 AM

Hope you enjoy it--at least it has power to back up all the scoops ect. Still a pretty impressive car any way you look at it. Peronally the sound of the Subaru flat-4 is supposed to be wicked but to each his own. PLEASE ditch the wing!
Old 04-25-2003, 11:12 AM
slt

Originally posted by 305fan
PLEASE ditch the wing!
Consider it done
Old 04-25-2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by slt
The EVO is not a 12K lancer with just a power train upgrade, Major structural reinforcements give it twice the rigidity of a lancer. I could wast a lot of space going over the differences/improvements. The two share very little in common. This is not a neon w/a turbo....

...Again, the SRT is just a Neon w/ a turbo. It doesn't compare to the EVO.
Actually.... it a Neon with a Mitsubishi turbocharged engine.

What you pointed out is pretty much exactly the point a few people here are raising. Despite massive structural improvements, it's still (at least in passing) a $14K cheap sedan being sold at $30K. Even if next to a more reasonably priced regular WRX (with much of the same pieces & reinforcements) it still costs $6,000 more!

Though the SRT-4 isn't a rally car with a history built on a rally race circuit or video games, will still no doubt be considered by the same people who would buy a WRX or EVO. DCX basically went the old fashioned route of mating a relatively extremely powerful engine with one of their lightest cars and created a godawfully quick rocket-sled at little more than the price of a Mustang V6 w/ automatic! Maybe it torque-steers like crazy, but no debating the fun-per-dollar factor (and that on dry pavement, the outcome of a race with the $30K AWD cars isn't guaranteed).
Old 04-25-2003, 11:26 AM

Hold the phone! The 2.4L that DC uses is a Mitsu motor??? Are you sure? The Turbo is definaltey a Mitsu but I thought the 2.4L was DC---it has a very low reline like most domestic 4 cly.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by 305fan
Hold the phone! The 2.4L that DC uses is a Mitsu motor??? Are you sure? The Turbo is definaltey a Mitsu but I thought the 2.4L was DC---it has a very low reline like most domestic 4 cly.
DC motor, Mitsu turbo.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:36 AM
slt

Originally posted by guionM
DCX basically went the old fashioned route of mating a .....
You seem to really like the SRT I think the SRT will be a very fun car to drive, but for enthusiasts it leaves alot to be desired, much like my GF's GTI. It will be interesting to see if it gets any credit, it tag line in it's demographic right now seems to be "yeah, but its a neon"
Old 04-25-2003, 11:45 AM

I just think the SRT-4 is the deal of the century (I'm a cheap bastard ). At the price they're going for, and the fact that kids today are into FWD & turbos, I think Dodge just struck a gold mine.

BTW, this was on Autoweek today, regarding the new EVO:
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=07968955

On a related story(since we are on the EVO/SRT-4 subject)....the next Neon will be based on the Lancer! (you can't make this stuff up):

Chrysler's next-generation Chrysler Sebring and PT Cruiser and Dodge Stratus and Neon will be developed from the same Mitsubishi Lancer platform. Mitsubishi plants also will be equipped to assemble the Chrysler and Dodge versions.
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=04203847

Last edited by guionM; 04-25-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by slt
You seem to really like the SRT I think the SRT will be a very fun car to drive, but for enthusiasts it leaves alot to be desired, much like my GF's GTI.
The SRT will be a very fun car to drive... in a straight line. Hope they put extra handles inside the car to hold on to when taking a turn.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:14 PM

Actually, the SRT-4 is an exceptionally good handling car, so the extra handles would be for passengers to hold onto as the car digs into corners.

http://www.allpar.com/neon/neon-srt-4.html (everything you'd probally want to know about the SRT-4):
"...Almost unheard of in the compact car enthusiast arena, superior driveability from a production car is a Dodge Neon trademark that continues with SRT-4. Like autocross devotees, SRT-4 owners also will enjoy the car's agile handling capability made possible by 17-inch aluminum performance wheels, sticky 50 series tires, specially tuned strut and spring assemblies (front and rear), sway bars (front and rear), updated knuckles and a unique K-member"

"...This car is really put together in a way that my old Neon never was (regardless of the power train)..."
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...dtest_srt4.xml (Car and Driver's article on it)

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/24.html (everything you'd want to know about the 2.4 engine)

Quick Reply: Screw CTSv, I got an EVO