Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Screw CTSv, I got an EVO

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 09:45 AM
slt

Originally posted by Jason E
2) I'd love to ask slt why in the world he ordered an EVO with the wing and claims he'll take it off when THE WING IS A $600 OPTION!!!!! I'd wave the BS flag here, but I'll wait and see what he has to say BTW, I confirmed this fact looking at a window sticker on an EVO at the same show...
Hey smart guy, just go out and try to find an Evo, never mind what options it may or may not have. Out of three dealerships, around me, there was only one Evo. They get around one Evo a month.

And I have changed my mind, the wing is staying
Old 04-29-2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by slt
Hey smart guy, just go out and try to find an Evo, never mind what options it may or may not have. Out of three dealerships, around me, there was only one Evo. They get around one Evo a month.

And I have changed my mind, the wing is staying
Well, I think his point was legitimate if you ordered the (blue) car like you said you did, and then said you were going to remove the wing anyway...
Old 04-29-2003, 10:04 AM
slt

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Well, I think his point was legitimate if you ordered the (blue) car like you said you did, and then said you were going to remove the wing anyway...
I didn't order it, it was the dealerships 4th Evo, scheduled to ship at the begining of June They are getting a yellow one in May if any one is interested
Old 04-29-2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by slt
I didn't order it, it was the dealerships 4th Evo, scheduled to ship at the begining of June They are getting a yellow one in May if any one is interested
Ya, I got that from your last post...

The way it read before, I thought you had ordered one to your own specifications, too...

Makes more sense now.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:28 AM

Slt--if you don't have the latest M/T go get one.
Big shoot out--exotics, Viper, Z06, Lightning and...an EVO! They really liked it.

0-60=4.59--faster then Mustang Cobra
1/4 mile = 13.08@105--Cobra just got ahead here.
600ft salom= 71.4mph---second highest

Admitledly the Mistu placed 2nd or 3rd form the bottom in most tests but it's still damn fast,
and way cheaper then everythihng else. Impressive for the only 4 door and lowest power ratings.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by slt
Well, I picked up the EVO on Friday (couldn't wait for the blue on so I picke a white one off the lot) and it has been a fun weekend. No one around here (St Louis) really knows what an Evo is. Alot of people seem to think it is just another all show, no go civic. Well I want to put 1000 miles on it to break it in but I have already had 3 mustangs try me. 2 old LX 5.0's with the big tires on back, Big tack on the dash, and pizza cutter tires up front, and 1 newer mustang GT. None of them have kept up. I'm loving it.

Hate all you want, but this car is more of a sports car than than a mustang or camaro. There is already (this car went on sale like 6 weeks ago) a stage 1 kit with a video documenting a 12.5 1/4 on stock tires. It's pretty much just 3" exhaust and a K&N
Haha, you killed Mustangs... well, I guess I did say V8. Shame on me for not specifing. Now go pick on some real V8 cars!
Well, I guess you should get the stage 1 kit so that you can keep up with a bolton LS1 car.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by JAS_LS1
Well, I guess you should get the stage 1 kit so that you can keep up with a bolton LS1 car.
I guess you missed this post:

Originally posted by 305fan
0-60=4.59--faster then Mustang Cobra
1/4 mile = 13.08@105--Cobra just got ahead here.
600ft salom= 71.4mph---second highest
Nevermind the fact that you can make some modifications to the Evo as well. Numbers like 4.59/13.08 sound very respectable to me. I'll be very surprised if the $40-50k CTSv is quite that fast.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by jrp4uc
I guess you missed this post:

Nevermind the fact that you can make some modifications to the Evo as well. Numbers like 4.59/13.08 sound very respectable to me. I'll be very surprised if the $40-50k CTSv is quite that fast.

Okay, if you guys DON'T quit quoting MAGAZINES then you will be in for a rude surprise at the track and even on the street.

What does it matter if a $50K CTSv is faster? Do you SERIOUSLY think that you will get one to race you on the street, or for that matter an M3 or AMG to run you on the street????

Heck, most V8 guys (mustang, LT1, LS1, etc) won't run you guys. Not for fear of loosing, but because you blend in with the "sport COMPACT" market and who needs to get arrested just to prove that he or she beat a 4 banger.

How old are some of you guys???? I'm betting teens to low twenty somethings...

BTW, yes, "sport COMPACT" not "sports CAR"... if you think its a "sports CAR" then I have some cheap beach front property for sale for you in Nevada!

I still can't believe that you guys are comparing this new wave of "sport compacts" to vipers, ZO6's,etc... now... That would be like me comparing my LS1 TA or LS1 vette to a 200K Lambo or other exotic, just because my cars are just as fast or faster then they are!!!! That's just CRAZY talk guys.... crazy talk....
Old 04-29-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by JAS_LS1
I still can't believe that you guys are comparing this new wave of "sport compacts" to vipers, ZO6's,etc... now... That would be like me comparing my LS1 TA or LS1 vette to a 200K Lambo or other exotic, just because my cars are just as fast or faster then they are!!!! That's just CRAZY talk guys.... crazy talk....
Funny, that's exactly what that MT issue did.

You can call the cars whatever you want. You've got the hangups on what everything is classified as or labeled. It just sounds like you're having a tough time swallowing the fact that your LS1 car isn't as "invincible" as it once was. I'm a fan of the LS1 F-bodies as well, but I give credit where credit is due.

I should ask how old you are that "street racing" is such a major part of your life. I've stopped doing that and I'm 24. It's not worth having your license suspended regardless of what you're racing.

Anyhow, I think this topic has been beaten to death by now.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:02 PM

Your right--if speed was all that mattered
(the F-body would have sold like hot-cakes for one..) we'd all be driving dragsters.

To me, the CTS-V will be an awesome car. Best thing to come out of Cadillac in...well...ever.
Most people buy what they like...not what is faster.

The only thing that stops the EVO from being a sports car---is the 4 door body.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by jrp4uc
Funny, that's exactly what that MT issue did.

You can call the cars whatever you want. You've got the hangups on what everything is classified as or labeled. It just sounds like you're having a tough time swallowing the fact that your LS1 car isn't as "invincible" as it once was. I'm a fan of the LS1 F-bodies as well, but I give credit where credit is due.

I should ask how old you are that "street racing" is such a major part of your life. I've stopped doing that and I'm 24. It's not worth having your license suspended regardless of what you're racing.

Anyhow, I think this topic has been beaten to death by now.
LOLs.... MT is in the business of making MONEY!!! Like any good business you give the customer what they want. If that means comparing a polished turd to a vette or viper, I'm sure the publications would jump on it if the public demanded! Fact still remains that the sport compact market is the craze among the young folk and the WRX and EVO ARE classified by the industry as "sport compacts" This is good AND bad. Good in the fact that there will be a HUGE aftermarket because of the current craze and bad because those nice cars (WRX & EVO) will get pigeonholed as a "sport compact" fad by anyone over 25.

LS1 "invincible".... haha, now that is funny!!! If you only knew my thoughts of the LS1 you'd be laughing with me.

I haven't street raced for a long time now... however it does **** me off when a "sport compact" drags water out onto the starting line because they had to do a "front wheel" burnout!!! Now WHY does a 15-18 second car have to do a massive burnout again???????

Face it, you guys are comparing "sport compact" craze cars to cars that are in a totaly different league because A) they may be just as quick, etc and B) the MEDIA craze trying to make money of off the latest craze!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by slt
Hate all you want, but this car is more of a sports car than than a mustang or camaro.
Just wondering, did you own or at least driven a Camaro or Mustang before?

Not trying to cut you down, just want some more detail..

I've been eyeing this area lately... I wish they made a cheap light RWD sports coupe with a turbo 4... that would be interesting...
Old 04-29-2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by 305fan
Your right--if speed was all that mattered
(the F-body would have sold like hot-cakes for one..) we'd all be driving dragsters.

To me, the CTS-V will be an awesome car. Best thing to come out of Cadillac in...well...ever.
Most people buy what they like...not what is faster.

The only thing that stops the EVO from being a sports car---is the 4 door body.

Agreed... but consider that when insurance is cheap on these little rockets, there ARE a lot of outside influences that affect sales. Heck, my vette insurance is CHEAPER than my f-bodies! Crazy isn't it????

What will keep the EVO and the WRX from being thought about as world class sports cars is the fact that they DID get stuck being smacked into the "sport compact" market.

Now the Supra was/is a "sports car" despite being an import!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:34 PM

before espeically in the mid 90's, I've always viewed V8 f-bods at least dominate in straight line performance when compared to anything else around it in its price range, and at least hold its own against much higher priced sports cars..

now almost 10 years later, we have these turbo I4's right up there in performance, all while being more pratical and comfortable..

I could care less what the "current fad" is.. (although I don't like the EVO's looks)... hence I love and drive my Camaro.. if I had the cash and credit now, I'd be looking at an Evo too..

besides, if I was drivng an Evo, and the other person underestimated it, think how much sweeter the look on their faces is when the Evo lauchs off and pulls away?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:58 PM
slt

Originally posted by Ken S
Just wondering, did you own or at least driven a Camaro or Mustang before?

Not trying to cut you down, just want some more detail..
Yep, alot of my friends are muscle car fans and drive Mustangs, Camaros, and old muscle cars. I've been having this same arguement with them.

Quick Reply: Screw CTSv, I got an EVO