Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Screw CTSv, I got an EVO

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 03:53 PM

Just come back and let us know the odometer reading when you blow up that poor little overloaded motor. I don't think it's in it for the long haul if you're already racing in the break-in period.

And I'd venture to say that you're not really out to please yourself and have fun with this car, you're only out to impress others, since you're obviously careless with the first 1000 miles or whatever, and since you couldn't even wait for your favorite color. Instant gratification will only get you so far.

So in that regard, I'm glad you chose a shlzubitchi. A Caddy deserves more attention than that

gt
Old 04-29-2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by slt
Great arguement
Comparisons to the Evo and the Corvette are fine, as anyone that drops dough for a new car looks at all the possibilities that fit their desires and budget and make their own comparisons...logical or not so logical.

I clearly see you are sold on your purchase, that's great.

Where should I start here, to assist you in understanding that a difference exists, that I believe you a a bit overboard in your enthusiasm...mmmm your suggested comparisons that the Evo "smokes" the C5 have little backing. Yep, there are 2:73 rear geared vettes with soft suspensions. They are formidable nonetheless.

Z51 six speed 'vettes are gonna give you a tough time on a roadcourse. Z06's will hand you your *** in an embarrasing fashion.

You have a car that makes you happy and has some power and grip... don't get carried away. Most folks that post here have a measured appreciation for cars and that's a good rule to follow. There's also a certain something that an automotive platform has that includes, yet isn't summed up in, just the stats. Maybe it's "character", for lack of a better term. Numbers are easier to come by than "character". Camaros have always had "character". C5's have "character".

I don't think stating that those that disagree with where you rate the Evo are "haters" as being at all accurate.

You think the Viper is a POS, ...OK... I disagree. Well balanced? No, POS?...NO.

I am thrilled you find your new purchase stacks up to just what you want. New car smell will do that. If you are a street stormer with something to prove, by all means go for it.

What kind of numbers does the Evo turn at Nurburgring? There's the paradigm for world class in the Sport car frame of reference.

It's never just the car, it's what the car will do with you in it.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 04-29-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:30 PM

Ok, this is beating a dead horse now but i took our wonderful competitor and based it up against the Evo with the stats right off of Mitsibishi's site: (sorry for the sloppy chart)

--------------------Evo---------------------------------Mustang Mach 1
Price--------------28,987----------------------------------28,680
HP-----------------271@6500----------------------------305@5800
Torque-----------273@3500-----------------------------320@4200
Width-------------69.7 inches-----------------------------73.1 inches
Height-------------57.1 inches----------------------------52.4 inches
Curb W------------3263 lbs.-------------------------------3465 lbs.
Fuel Ec-------------18C/26H--------------------------------17C/25H

So for a car with the same price as the Evo u get a wider car with a lower roofline that weighs only 200 lbs. more with more horsepower and torque and gets just about the same fuel economy. granite the Evo does have some niceties such as the momo wheel and brembo brakes (those brakes are nice) but i think it goes to show that comparing an Evo to a Corvette (which outclasses the Mustang in spades) is more bs than fact and even comparing an Evo to a Cobra is also more bs than fact. also it was mentioned earlier that with some modification the Evo can run 12's but runs a 13 something stock. Muscle mustangs and Fast Fords ran 12's in a showroom STOCK Mach 1! So please no more comparisons between the Evo and the Corvette or Cobra. The Evo is an awesome little car and once again congrats on ur purchase slt but i think comparing it to an SRT-4 and WRX is a little more realistic.....
sorry for the long post guys thought i'd put some facts out there.

zipping up flamesuit
Old 04-30-2003, 04:21 AM

I could never see myself owning a Ford

BUT

as final as that sounds, I can see myself with a Ford way before any Mitsubitchy. Those Mach 1 stats are pretty compelling when seen side by side with that steroid-pumped import heap
Old 04-30-2003, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by kizz
I could never see myself owning a Ford

BUT

as final as that sounds, I can see myself with a Ford way before any Mitsubitchy. Those Mach 1 stats are pretty compelling when seen side by side with that steroid-pumped import heap
Now I would probably purchase a Mustang Mach 1 before a Evo too, but only because I'm a muscle car guy at heart. However, am I the only one who sees the Evo beating the Mustang in every category but strait line performance? And then in the quartermile you have to admit itd be pretty close.

I guess I just dotn get why people are going at such lengths to bash or talk down on a car that offers awesom performance at a great price. You might not like the looks of it, but you have to admit the performance is there.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by bigsteve7
Now I would probably purchase a Mustang Mach 1 before a Evo too, but only because I'm a muscle car guy at heart. However, am I the only one who sees the Evo beating the Mustang in every category but strait line performance? And then in the quartermile you have to admit itd be pretty close.

I guess I just dotn get why people are going at such lengths to bash or talk down on a car that offers awesom performance at a great price. You might not like the looks of it, but you have to admit the performance is there.
Exactly. I'm sorry, but Mustangs are not worldly-sports cars either. This Evo is just as respectable.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:25 AM

Gee, this thread is still going?

The Evo is a great little car, as is the new WRX. I simply find it amazing that this has degraded to a EVO vs CTSv/Mustang/Corvette/etc... comparison.

There's no debating these little things are very quick, and alot of fun. The only issue is are they worth the price considering what fully loaded versions of the cars they are based on. Some people feel they are, and that should be respected. This is a totally different situation than the $40,000 Silverado SS that clearly get's smoked not only by competitors, but by cheaper versions of itself. With the EVO & WRX you clearly are getting something spectatular for your money.

slt, you started this entire thing when you claimed you were waiting for a CTSv but settled for an EVO instead, which from the outside looks totally ridiculous considering the difference between the 2 (a Corvette powered, full sized, Rear Drive, American luxury sedan, or a sub-compact turbocharged, AWD, Japanese rally car ). Pop it down a notch: I was going to get a V6 CTS but I settled for a Lancer instead??

JAS_LS1 in retrospect is right in retrospect (a high performance, LS1 CTSv for just $1,500 more than loaded CTS V6?!). I'm a bit embaressed thinking that myself!

Last edited by guionM; 04-30-2003 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:27 AM
slt

enough, someone lock this thread so it goes away
Old 04-30-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by slt
slt - You now have an EVO, you said you've own Fbodies. The point is, instead of everyone and their grandfather quoting MAGAZINES, why don't we have people speak from experience such as yourself.

guionM made an excellent point about waiting for a CTSv and then getting a EVO instead. Two TOTALLY different cars. I'm willing to be that even IF the CTSv was 35K and killed the EVO you would still get the EVO because 1) your probably young and the EVO has more respect among your peers than a Caddy 2) see #1.

Heck, I would venture to say that if you had to choose between an EVO and a GTO, you would probably go with an EVO...

As much as people like to not admit, AGE has a TON of influence on what you buy! Somehow, I see most WRX and EVO drivers are going to be sub 25 and I'm sure that was the intended target. (Although, I will note, Honda really missed the boat on age demographics with the ELEMENT! )

So, SLT, serious, WHY did you buy an EVO and didn't wait for the CTSv or even the GTO which will be close to the 35K target???
Old 04-30-2003, 10:52 AM

Okay SLT, at least do me ONE favor...

at the track, go AROUND the water box since you have 4wd instead of through it like all the other "sport compacts"

Thanks buddy and have fun with the car!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by slt
You have the option of deleting it, just hit the "delete thread" button.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:24 AM
slt

Originally posted by JAS_LS1
guionM made an excellent point about waiting for a CTSv and then getting a EVO instead. Two TOTALLY different cars. I'm willing to be that even IF the CTSv was 35K and killed the EVO you would still get the EVO because 1) your probably young and the EVO has more respect among your peers than a Caddy
Actually, none of my friends know what the Evo is. Ive been having fun showing them

heck, I would venture to say that if you had to choose between an EVO and a GTO, you would probably go with an EVO...
Good question, 2 big problems with the GTO for me. 1. It comes out after summer and I've been wanting to get out of my current car for a while now. 2. Its a lame duck model. Isn't a newer and improved model coming out shortly afterwards.

So, SLT, serious, WHY did you buy an EVO and didn't wait for the CTSv
B/C it costs $50k+ This is a company car, I had to keep the payments below $600. I can afford to put down $4-5,000, but $15,000 is too much for a car. I've got a house to buy in October.

or even the GTO which will be close to the 35K target???
My car is just as fast, handles much better, has a large back seat, is much more exclusive, will have better resale vale,

and my insurance doesn't go up at all with an Evo.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:33 AM

"will have better resale value"

Yeah, probably, assuming the "sport compact" fad doesn't go away for quite some time and fast and the furious movies keep coming out!

Sorry couldn't resist.

However, if you bought ANY car for resale value as one of your top 5 reasons than all I can say is, DON'T drive through the water box.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by slt
This is a company car, I had to keep the payments below $600. I can afford to put down $4-5,000, but $15,000 is too much for a car. I've got a house to buy in October.

My car is just as fast, handles much better, has a large back seat, is much more exclusive, will have better resale vale,

and my insurance doesn't go up at all with an Evo.
Compared to a $52K? CTSv, your Evo will definitely have lower depreciation. However, considering the cars in this category will be driven, don't count on having a "collector car" that appreciates with time.

I'm also glad that your insurance didn't go up with the EVO. Sometimes, when insurance companies don't have any previous loss experience to go on, they give a new model the "benefit of the doubt." As strange as it might seem, even a Z28/SS Camaro can be cheap to insure at a few small, highly selective insurance companies.

From where I stand, you can feel happy about your purchase. At very least, you'll have spent a bit less than if you had waited for the GTO. Being a cheapskate, I probably would have sacrificed some speed for a cheaper 350Z, G35 or 325i - but that's just me.