Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

SS package for V6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 10:37 AM

Post SS package for V6?

Here is a question I've been thinking about.

If SLP would have offered an SS "appearance" package on a base V6...you know...the whole nine yards...semi-functional hood scoop, 17 inch wheels, SS floor mats, etc. and Chevy charged a premium of $3500-$4000 over the base V6 for it...would it have sold?
Old 08-01-2002, 11:08 AM

Good idea, but I doubt it'd sell very well for an addition 4k. Why not just buy the Z28 at that point? However, if there was an upgrade package for the V-6, which accuall performance upgrades and options, (such as heads, exhaust, gears, ect) and like the current sports appearance package, i believe it'd sell very well. It'd appeal to the younger crowd for insurance reasons, and might take a bit out of the import scene.

------------------
1996 Camaro RS
Black M5 T-Top
Old 08-01-2002, 11:10 AM

SLP does offer an "RS" package for Camaro V6(and a "GT" for the Firebird V6)...

Same idea... in a way.

But Camaro SS is not all looks... it does have upgraded suspension and wheels/tires... also exhaust upgrade... so it's no all show...

But I do see you point.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:18 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CamaroRSguy:
Good idea, but I doubt it'd sell very well for an addition 4k.
</font>
Yeah, maybe that is a little steep. I only used that number because that's the up-charge for the same stuff on a V8.

Old 08-01-2002, 01:50 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Xed:

Same idea... in a way.

But Camaro SS is not all looks... it does have upgraded suspension and wheels/tires... also exhaust upgrade... so it's no all show...

But I do see you point.
</font>
Exactly...the RS was the verion SS like version of the V6

------------------
Branden-Founder-www.GMInsidenews.com-The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4 White with red leather! SOLD 1979 Firbird Formula 400HO!
Visit my homepage!
Old 08-01-2002, 02:53 PM
Disciple

Same idea... in a way.

</font>
Hardly. It's a very clever way to use Z28 take-off parts plus a decal package to produce a very nice and economical upgrade to the V6 car.

SLP did do one V6 Camaro "SSR" ... it was Ed Hamburgers personal ride, a pewter convertible with most if not all of the SS and Y2Y parts ... they sold it at the 2001 SLP Engineering Customer Appreciation event.

It was a photo of this car that was used as the base for the photoshopped fake 35th anniversary car that circulated early last year.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:15 PM

Thumbs down

I don't think too many people would be drooling over the thought of a ram-air V6 Camaro. And the idea of a 5th Gen Camaro SS in V6 form? You always talk about how it's soooo "confusing" that SS is the top model now. If you really want to confuse people, bring out a V6 SS Camaro in 4 years. IMO either make the SS the top model again or leave it out all-together, if it really bothers people so much....

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:23 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
[/i] Camaro. And the idea of a 5th Gen
You always talk about how it's soooo "confusing" that SS is the top model now. If you really want to confuse people, bring out a V6 SS Camaro in 4 years. IMO either make the SS the top model again or leave it out all-together, if it really bothers people so much....

</font>
V6 SS confusing?

How about the Monte Carlo V6 SS....it's selling pretty well....or

The upcoming Impala V6 SS...it's gonna sell pretty well...or

Remember the S10 V6 SS....or

The mid-sixties Malibu I6 SS, or it's companion the Nova I6 SS.

Old 08-02-2002, 12:14 AM

Gotta admit he's making sense. Now a V6 in a Z28, never!!
Old 08-02-2002, 01:26 AM

Cool

As a V6 owner, I think such a package might be good for insurance reasons. There are heads/cam guys over at firebirdv6.com running low 14's/high 13's NA & low 12's on N2O, so the V6 isn't such a lame duck after all.

I think the RS should be brought back as a real mid-line car with either the L67 blown V6 or a tuned NA 3.8L V6 making 240+ HP. It'd be a good way to keep the ricers from beating down on F-bodies (how many Civic Si's have killed a V6 thinking it's a V8?!?).

And yeah, the RS/Firebird GT that SLP sells is pretty lame. They even welded shut the passenger side tailpipe probably to keep the noise down. Would've been interesting if they sold the RS/GT with the SLP Loudmouth though!

------------------
------------
Edward Doan
97 Black Firebird A4
Mods: F-1 catback, 1LE sway bars, Pirelli P7000SS tires
Taillight/turn signal blackouts
Old 08-02-2002, 04:42 AM

I hope they get away from SLP. They don't need them and their little expensive BS to make them perform slightly better (and I mean slightly) when GM can make them better in every way right from the factory.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:37 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z284ever:
V6 SS confusing?

How about the Monte Carlo V6 SS....it's selling pretty well....or

The upcoming Impala V6 SS...it's gonna sell pretty well...or

Remember the S10 V6 SS....or

The mid-sixties Malibu I6 SS, or it's companion the Nova I6 SS.

</font>
I think Z28Wilson meant confusing in the sense that there would be a V6 Camaro SS and a V8 Camaro SS... yes, that would be confusing...
Old 08-02-2002, 09:10 AM

I think Z28Wilson meant confusing in the sense that there would be a V6 Camaro SS and a V8 Camaro SS... yes, that would be confusing...</font>
Darth, actually I think that would be a great idea and not confusing at all.

I was actually talking "what ifs" with the 4th gen on this thread....but since Wilson brought up the 5th gen...lets go with it.

The one thing that I think "SS" has always been, is many things to many people.

Why not have an SS package with a customers' choice of V6 or V8...I think that would be pretty neat.

What's wrong with having a sporty package available with a base powertrain?

I think plenty of people would be interested in it.
As far as performance goes....the current V6 and certainly upcoming higher performance V6's will certainly run with most Camaro SS's of the past.

We're always talking about better and more desirable base models...a sensible SS package for a base V6 model could make that happen.

[This message has been edited by Z284ever (edited August 02, 2002).]
Old 08-02-2002, 09:18 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z284ever:
Darth, actually I think that would be a great idea.

I was actually talking "what ifs" with the 4th gen on this thread....but since Wilson brought up the 5th gen...lets go with it.

The one thing that I think "SS" has always been is, many things to many people.

Why not have an SS package with a customers' choice of V6 or V8...I think that would be pretty neat.

What's wrong with having a sporty package available with a base powertrain? I think it would be great.

</font>
Well, they do have that sort of thing right now... The "Sport Appearance Package" that is available on the base and the Z28... not my cup of tea, but along those lines.

If anything, a package like that should be called "RS", because RS has always been appearance, and not performmance, or different engines, etc...

"SS" should not be use din that sense, IMHO... (Remember.... I favor the Z28 name, but you have to respect the SS name as well, at least on a Camaro)

Old 08-02-2002, 09:46 AM

Well, they do have that sort of thing right now... The "Sport Appearance Package" that is available on the base and the Z28... not my cup of tea, but along those lines.

If anything, a package like that should be called "RS", because RS has always been appearance, and not performmance, or different engines, etc...

"SS" should not be use din that sense, IMHO... (Remember.... I favor the Z28 name, but you have to respect the SS name as well, at least on a Camaro)

</font>
Darn it Darth,....you copied my quote before I could edit it. You're too fast .

That "sport appearance package" just doesn't do it for me. My apologies to those who have it, but it is pretty horrible.

I say SS instead of RS because I would include mechanical upgrades. Suspension, wheels, maybe gearing and a choice of engines.

Maybe even a hockey stripe.....

For those entry level buyers that can't quite afford the cost of insurance for a V8 (or even those that want a V8)....what great way to get into an affordable, stylish, great handling, desirable V6 (or V8) Camaro!

I think it has the potential to "steal" many sales from Mustang and imports.

Quick Reply: SS package for V6?