Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

SS package for V6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:29 AM

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z284ever:
V6 SS confusing?

How about the Monte Carlo V6 SS....it's selling pretty well....or

The upcoming Impala V6 SS...it's gonna sell pretty well...or

Remember the S10 V6 SS....or

The mid-sixties Malibu I6 SS, or it's companion the Nova I6 SS.

</font>
...or the upcomming Silverado SS, and the 454SS, the 80's MonteCarlo SS,.....

Old 08-02-2002, 12:30 PM

Ford sells alot of V-6 stangs, Mitsubishi sells a lot of Eclipses. You enter a base V-6 camaro, and have some factory options, such as grounde effects on the RS, performance exhaust, heads, ect. and it should do really well. The younger crowd, which was the original target for muscle cars, can once again afford a competitive car. Im not talking about a 13 second V-6, but mid to high 14's would be nice right out of the factory. And I agree, GM doesn't need SLP, back in the day GM had how many options for the muscle cars and any car in general. Go back to supporting their consumers right out of the factory and stop messing around all ready.

------------------
1996 Camaro RS
Black M5 T-Top
Old 08-02-2002, 02:17 PM

Freakin' 3rd Gen guys, just cuz they never got an SS they can't respect the name.

A V6 SS camaro would be lame.

Just because they have a V6 SS in other cars, doesn't mean it's right for the Camaro. In general, the SS is the top performer for the model. So a V6 Camaro SS would make it the top performer. Should we have a 4 banger Z28 to go with that V6 SS?

Lemme guess, the V6 SS would accompany the new 500hp 427 LS1 small block Z28? *shakes head*

It'd be nice to see the RS get some actual mechanical upgrades, rather than being just a ricer body kit.

------------------
Jason

<A HREF="http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/munche" TARGET=_blank>1997 A4 Z28 "Mongoose"
</A>

<A HREF="http://www.iz-us.com/images/cars/cougar/" TARGET=_blank>New Project: 1969 Mercury Cougar 351W
</A>
Old 08-02-2002, 04:34 PM

SS on other models with V6's isn't the point, really. If you look at it, even the V6 SS models are still the top models in the line. Monte SS gets the 3.8 over the base 3.4, Impala SS will get the blown 3.8 over the base 3.8, and so on. On the current Camaro, for the past 6 years, Camaro SS has been the top power offering. In 4 years, you want to give people the option of making their Camaro SS either a V6 or V8? That makes even less sense than just killing the Camaro SS trim level (AGAIN, only because apparently the SS Camaro bothers "some" people. )

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:16 PM

I think a Camaro V6 SS would be a terrible idea. Let the RS be that car. Have the V8 SS be the loaded up car, and the Z28 be a ZO6-type stripper car made for the road course. (it would still be a beast in straight line too. )

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red Trans Am WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash
Old 08-02-2002, 10:36 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
(AGAIN, only because apparently the SS Camaro bothers "some" people. )
</font>
Only the overly outspoken Third Gen guys.

------------------
Jason

<A HREF="http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/munche" TARGET=_blank>1997 A4 Z28 "Mongoose"
</A>

<A HREF="http://www.iz-us.com/images/cars/cougar/" TARGET=_blank>New Project: 1969 Mercury Cougar 351W
</A>
Old 08-03-2002, 08:59 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MunchE:

Lemme guess, the V6 SS would accompany the new 500hp 427 LS1 small block Z28? *shakes head*

</font>
I was thinking more like 400hp, 368 (6.0 liters)in the Z/28.

.....what do ya think?

Old 08-03-2002, 05:52 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z284ever:
I was thinking more like 400hp, 368 (6.0 liters)in the Z/28.

.....what do ya think?

</font>
I personally would like to see a lightweight, high spinning 302 that handles really nice.

My vision of a new Z28 is a lot different than most people here. I see a lot of "Z28 = ULTIMATE HIGH HORSEPOWER STREET MACHINE" and that's not the image the original car conveys to me.

I'd like to see an SS with the big engine and great 1/4 mile times, and the Z28 with the high revving smaller displacement engine, with greatly improved handling over our current cars, and better than your average 5th gen. License some nice aftermarket companies like the SVT Focus, Protege MP3, etc...why is a Protege getting best handling car and not something like a Camaro? I know it could be done, if BMW can get great handling out of a 4000lb M5 then Chevy can do it with the Camaro.

When people think of the ultimate street machine first gens, they think of the SS396, the COPO 427s....big blocks with big power, the big straight line cars, and that's not the Z28. When I think of the cars that were designed to run in Trans Am, I think of a good road racer, despite claims on this board that they're underrated by like 100hp and with gears they'd outrun any Camaro in the world.

My vision of the 5th gen is a Z28 you can take to Auto-X, and an SS you can take to the strip. In my world we'd have an RS with improved handling as well, for those who want something more than the base Camaro and aren't satisfied with a body kit.

------------------
Jason

</A>

</A>
Old 08-03-2002, 05:59 PM

Well, that is a fair, well thought out opinion.

When I think of the cars that were designed to run in Trans Am, I think of a good road racer, despite claims on this board that they're underrated by like 100hp and with gears they'd outrun any Camaro in the world.

</font>
...not outrun any Camaro....outrun any Camaro SS.

The COPO's were not SS's

Old 08-03-2002, 09:29 PM

I personally would like to see a lightweight, high spinning 302 that handles really nice.

My vision of a new Z28 is a lot different than most people here. I see a lot of "Z28 = ULTIMATE HIGH HORSEPOWER STREET MACHINE" and that's not the image the original car conveys to me.

I'd like to see an SS with the big engine and great 1/4 mile times, and the Z28 with the high revving smaller displacement engine, with greatly improved handling over our current cars, and better than your average 5th gen. License some nice aftermarket companies like the SVT Focus, Protege MP3, etc...why is a Protege getting best handling car and not something like a Camaro? I know it could be done, if BMW can get great handling out of a 4000lb M5 then Chevy can do it with the Camaro.

When people think of the ultimate street machine first gens, they think of the SS396, the COPO 427s....big blocks with big power, the big straight line cars, and that's not the Z28. When I think of the cars that were designed to run in Trans Am, I think of a good road racer, despite claims on this board that they're underrated by like 100hp and with gears they'd outrun any Camaro in the world.

My vision of the 5th gen is a Z28 you can take to Auto-X, and an SS you can take to the strip. In my world we'd have an RS with improved handling as well, for those who want something more than the base Camaro and aren't satisfied with a body kit.

</font>
I agree completely. I see the Z/28 as more of an Auto-x car as well. The SS is the drag strip thumper. A new and improved RS would serve nicely as a step up from the base car. Now if we could only get a car...

-Mike

------------------
99 Onyx Black SS A4 #2373

BMR SFC's, BMR STB,BMR LCA's, FLP L/T's, Magnaflow cat-back, Direct-flo lid w/Holley filter,SLP bellows kit, SLP bow-tie grille, Sullivan pedals, MacEwen gauges w/ T/A bezel, Mike C's SS frc's,
Old 08-04-2002, 01:24 AM

V6 SS, no. I6 SS, yes, think about it , the new 4.2L DOHC I6 with a twin turbo set up in a SS, an inline motor can handle boost so much better than a V engine, strap onw of thoes bad boys in an SS, and i think it could be a winner, and this is all coming from a V6 guy if that makes a difference
-ATL

[This message has been edited by atl2001 (edited August 04, 2002).]
Old 08-04-2002, 06:59 AM

Only the overly outspoken Third Gen guys.</font>
Not quite.

60's Z28's beat SS's in the 1/4 mile and did everything else better especially handling.

Which was the REAL top car?! Which was the top car until the 4th Gen brought SS back?? Which name do people think about when thinking top Camaro?? Which model was always the most talked about?? Which won championships?? Which was used for IROC races?? Which became a legend?? Which is synonomous with Camaro?? Which has a better/more history with the car??

Your answer to all: Z28 and Not the SS.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited August 04, 2002).]
Old 08-04-2002, 09:45 AM

Cool

how bout base V6 RS trim package,RS/SS modles like beforein the 60's.. I say have it a supercharged V6..why not?? and offer a V8 as a SS and the top dog a Z28..

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 08-04-2002, 10:52 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
In 4 years, you want to give people the option of making their Camaro SS either a V6 or V8? That makes even less sense than just killing the Camaro SS trim level (AGAIN, only because apparently the SS Camaro bothers "some" people. )

</font>
Why not?
My first Camaro was a used '701/2 SS.
L48 350, turbo 350 trans, 3.08 rear end.
I remember it accelerated much like today's 3800 V6.

But the point is that it was a sporty upgrade from the base model....just what the SS has always been... until recently. It was no Z/28 but it was a step up in both performance and trim from the base car.

I think just such a package would add greatly to the success of Camaro. It would be a distinct niche. It sure would be better than how things are now.....pitting Camaro enthusiasts against each other in a p!ssing match, on which is the "ultimate" (I hate that term ..BTW), Camaro.

IMO, the way the 4th gen SS was marketed...was just an abberation and not consistent with Camaro's history...

....sorry guys, I was there.

[This message has been edited by Z284ever (edited August 04, 2002).]
Old 08-04-2002, 01:00 PM

I don't think it should be called a v6 SS, but a psort version would be nice.

the only sport option we have now is Y87, which is 3.42 gears, and limited slip differential, and a dual outlet muffler.

I think what ever the package is called it hsould have at least z28 or SS sway bars, both are better then stock v6 sway bars.

Dual outlet muffler, the on the SS should be good.

Limited slip, 3.42s, maybe 3.73s?

If possible a supercharged 3.8L, maybe not the L67 because it mainly a FWD format, but wahts the motor in the new GTo base model?

i know its a supercharged 3.8L but its a RWD motor, so GM cna borrow the setup off of that and put it in the camaro.

hopefully it don't get too expensive. thats the biggst reason someone goes for the v6.

my 94 was $13k new off the lot, and my dads 2000 was $15k new off the lot, and he is pretty loaded with options.

------------------
1994 Medium Quaser Blue Camaro 3.4L V6 w/ 5-speed
Homeade CAI with a huge K&N cylinder filter, Single outlet Flowmaster with resonator, Accel 8mm ignition wires, Rapidfire plugs, 3.42 gears and posi off a 97 WS6, 1 piece steel driveshaft, Converted to 4-wheel disc brakes, 1LE transmision mount, 1LE sway bars, Prothane bushings and endlinks, BMR Strut tower brace, ASP underdrive pulleys, 160* stat
Lightest Weight W/out driver: 3160
15.696@86.22 with a 2.214 60'!
Best R/T .507
Best 60' 2.106

Father's Stock 2000 Navy Blue Camaro 3.8L V6 w/ 5-speed
15.875@88.25 With wheel spin in 1st
15s are cool!
AIM: MustangEater82

Quick Reply: SS package for V6?