Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

SS package for V6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 10:33 PM

I feel that in TODAY'S market people associate SS with a top model. Despite GM's attempts to muddle the SS name with it's current fwd V-6 vehicles, even they remain the top model in their line. So a V-6 SS would not do well in my opinion. On a side note, did the DZ302 really take down the SS396's (including L-89's) at the strip? I belive that the big block SS's were the cars people bought to go hunting on the street and at the strip. The Z/28 was the Auto-X car that racers bought to have fun with on the weekends at the track. I know some people hate the idea of an SS being the top model, but take a look a Chevy's current line-up...
-Monte Carlo SS- top model
-Impala SS- top model
-Silverado SS- top model

-Mike
Old 08-04-2002, 11:29 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by transam8:
On a side note, did the DZ302 really take down the SS396's (including L-89's) at the strip? I belive that the big block SS's were the cars people bought to go hunting on the street and at the strip. The Z/28 was the Auto-X car that racers bought to have fun with on the weekends at the track. I know some people hate the idea of an SS being the top model, but take a look a Chevy's current line-up...
-Monte Carlo SS- top model
-Impala SS- top model
-Silverado SS- top model

-Mike
</font>
It's true that the few L-78s and it's aluminum headed brother the L-89 that hit the street were stout engines....the only ones BTW that could give the Z/28 a run for their money at the strip.....but of course those big block Camaros handled like UPS trucks.

Car & Driver was able to get a Cross Ram Z/28 to go even faster than any L-89 road test I've ever seen though.

But why do we only concentrate on only 3 years of Camaro heritage. After 1970, Trans Am rules allowed destroking and the Z/28 LT-1 was born..and I believe any debate ends there.

As far as Chevy's current line up:

Monte Carlo SS
Impala SS
Silverado SS.....

SS should be the top performers in those models.

I see the Camaro and Corvette as siblings however, and in a seperate class:

Corvette...ZO6
Camaro....Z/28

Old 08-05-2002, 01:40 AM

Agreed. Let the regular cars have SS or the cars the name has a real history with and let the specialty cars have the names they should.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:13 PM

I still think SS is the name people associate with a fast Camaro.

How come you see so many fake first gen SS's? I rarely see a first gen with Z28 on it that isn't a real Z28, but I see plenty of them with an SS logo.

We've all heard the joke that there are more 67-69 Camaro SS's on the road now than there were in the 60's...why don't we have that same joke about Z28s?

It's the name that strikes a chord in the majority of people. You tell the average person you have a ___ SS, and they know what you mean. Z28 is just not as recognized.

The only leg your point is standing on is that the Corvette never used the SS name, and that they use Z06....but the Cavalier has a Z24, so it's not like the Z designations are just for cool cars.

------------------
Jason

<A HREF="http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/munche" TARGET=_blank>1997 A4 Z28 "Mongoose"
</A>

<A HREF="http://www.iz-us.com/images/cars/cougar/" TARGET=_blank>New Project: 1969 Mercury Cougar 351W
</A>
Old 08-05-2002, 02:21 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MunchE:

How come you see so many fake first gen SS's? I rarely see a first gen with Z28 on it that isn't a real Z28, but I see plenty of them with an SS logo.

We've all heard the joke that there are more 67-69 Camaro SS's on the road now than there were in the 60's...why don't we have that same joke about Z28s?

It's the name that strikes a chord in the majority of people. You tell the average person you have a ___ SS, and they know what you mean. Z28 is just not as recognized.

The only leg your point is standing on is that the Corvette never used the SS name, and that they use Z06....but the Cavalier has a Z24, so it's not like the Z designations are just for cool cars.

</font>

Actually, Z24 was killed very early on in the 2002 Cavalier model year... The Z34 Monte Carlo died in 1999, and the Z26 Beretta died with the Beretta...

I got the feeling back then that they were doing away with the other Z names to make the Z28 name unique again, when it comes back.... we'll see if that happens.

Personally, I feel that "Z28" is more associated with Camaro Performance, than "SS", but that doesn't mean I think there should be a V6 SS by any means...

Old 08-05-2002, 02:50 PM

</font>
Because for 1st gen Z/28s it's no joke. Clean, sraight, documented, numbers matching cars are going for $30-$35K++ in this area.

When you spend that much on an old Camaro you'll check more than just the emblems.

Old 08-05-2002, 03:22 PM

</font>

And I gotta ROTFL at the Z28 not recognized comment LOL. I agree with Z284 and DXed, Camaro performance is Z28 and should always be that way. And 1st Gen Z28's do go for more than the SS's usually.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited August 05, 2002).]
Old 08-05-2002, 04:52 PM

To clarify on the first and second gen Z/28's superiority over the SSs, ask any person who owned a Z. Stock for stock, NO SS was a threat to a well driven Z/28.

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red Trans Am WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash
Old 08-05-2002, 05:21 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z284ever[/b]</font>
But why do we only concentrate on only 3 years of Camaro heritage. After 1970, Trans Am rules allowed destroking and the Z/28 LT-1 was born..and I believe any debate ends there.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, but in reality, how long was the 2nd gen Z/28 a real performer? I'm thinking about four years (70,71,72, and 73 sort of. I'm not saying that GM should tarnish either car ( SS or Z/28) I'm just saying that both can be very desireable cars that are DIFFERENT. No V-6 SS's or Z/28's. That has been one of the the f-body's largest problems, there isn't enough variety. Have the Z/28 go back to it's roots (Trans Am), with great handling, a high reving small block, and no excuses. No extras, just the essentials to be a mean track car. Have the SS as the "gingerbread" car with all the extras and some added style. The SS could have a larger, torque happy motor for the strip. Who needs one top model when we can have two? Look at the Mustang with the Cobra and now the Mach1. Both are very different cars with very different fans. We need that variety too.

-Mike

Old 08-06-2002, 12:52 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by transam8:
That has been one of the the f-body's largest problems, there isn't enough variety.

Who needs one top model when we can have two? Look at the Mustang with the Cobra and now the Mach1. Both are very different cars with very different fans. We need that variety too.

-Mike

</font>
I think that is a great idea!

My only concern is that Chevy has shown an unwillingness to differentiate Camaro models lately. And according to previous posts on this forum it doesn't sound like things will change if we get a new Camaro.

So what now? I know if I were running the show...I know what I would do.

But I'm not running the show.

Chevy is going to have to clean up this performance "hierarchy" mess that they've created.

I hope they use this "hiatus" time wisely.

Old 08-06-2002, 06:17 AM

Thats right make them different but just let the Z28 be what it was for so many more years, the top Camaro. If you ask a random person what the best Camaro model is/was I guarantee they answer with Z28. Z28 is to the Camaro what Trans Am is to the Firebird. And no we don't have to go back to the 60's and have it a high revving low ci. car. (unless it would be faster than the SS ) It should be the all out performance car, better handling, speed, braking, looks. It beat the SS back in the day, and it deserves to be "top" again with the SS around, although I wish they'd just drop the SS from the Camaro lineup completely.

------------------
Camaro/Chevrolet crazy F-Body lunatic.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited August 06, 2002).]
Old 08-06-2002, 02:10 PM

Exclamation

I personally think people are too uptight about the badges. Z28/SS/RS/ZL1/Berlinetta/Type R--I really don't care! (Well, except for the last couple ) Let's make sure we get the look, performance, and functionality out of the next Camaro first and foremost. Let everything else fall into place.

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:07 PM

Everything has to be done right to get success. The current formula does not/did not work. Making all the models practically the same and devaluing the known top Camaro did no good.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:26 PM

</font>
There are plenty of fake Z/28s out there as well and I've heard the joke about "There are more Z/28s now..." many, many times. right here on this board there have been probably 5 "Is this a real Z/28" questions in the last 6 months.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:55 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
I personally think people are too uptight about the badges. Z28/SS/RS/ZL1/Berlinetta/Type R--I really don't care! (Well, except for the last couple ) Let's make sure we get the look, performance, and functionality out of the next Camaro first and foremost. Let everything else fall into place.

</font>
You're right there Z28Wilson, the basics must be done right. But why wouldn't GM want to get more than that right for a change?

As far as Camaro goes...the right name matters to me. It really matters. Camaro history has heritage that most manufacturers can only dream of.

Why can't Chevy use that heritage effectively.....instead of trying to force feed enthusiasts a revisionist history lesson that that we are not buying?

Frankly if we were talking about Malibus, Silverados, Civics, Focuses, etc., etc.....I could care less about names.

But when we are talking CAMAROS...names matter!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Z284ever (edited August 06, 2002).]

Quick Reply: SS package for V6?