Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

SS package for V6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 08:37 PM

Names do matter, and that is why both the SS and the Z/28 should return. I just don't understand why there is so much hatred for the SS name. I mean turning it into a V-6 option for the 5th gen would be sad. Afterall, the Camaro SS has never been available with a V-6. Maybe it's just me, but I think the big block SS's were awesome cars. They served their purpose of being a good looking car with nearly unlimited potential at the strip. These attributes were seen by the public and many were sold. Now I know that the Z/28 was the better overall car as far as handling, braking, and so on, but that doesn't make the SS a piece of crap. It was designed to be a straight line car, with a lot of options and style, and it did that quite well. I don't really think anyone can say which one was the "best", they were different cars designed to do different things. In turn, they attracted very different buyers.
The SS served an important part in the Camaro's history(it helped get the 1st gen rolling!)and that deserves to be recognized along with the Z/28.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:30 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by transam8:
Names do matter, and that is why both the SS and the Z/28 should return. I just don't understand why there is so much hatred for the SS name. I mean turning it into a V-6 option for the 5th gen would be sad. Afterall, the Camaro SS has never been available with a V-6. Maybe it's just me, but I think the big block SS's were awesome cars. They served their purpose of being a good looking car with nearly unlimited potential at the strip. These attributes were seen by the public and many were sold. Now I know that the Z/28 was the better overall car as far as handling, braking, and so on, but that doesn't make the SS a piece of crap. It was designed to be a straight line car, with a lot of options and style, and it did that quite well. I don't really think anyone can say which one was the "best", they were different cars designed to do different things. In turn, they attracted very different buyers.
The SS served an important part in the Camaro's history(it helped get the 1st gen rolling!)and that deserves to be recognized along with the Z/28.
</font>

TA8, you make some great points and it's hard to argue with your post.

I don't believe anyone has any "hatred" for the SS....it's more like backlash for how Chevy has treated the Z/28.

Let me share a story with you. When Chevy first released the SLP Z28SS (later to be called SS)...I had a conversation with someone from GM who was very close to the Camaro program.

I asked them why they didn't call it simply Z/28? They responded.."we're not aware that many people know or recognize what the Z/28 name is". WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

YES...THEY WERE SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK!

I agree that their is plenty of SS heritage for Camaro....what a shame to squander it.

But let it not come at the expense of the Z/28.

Old 08-06-2002, 09:54 PM

Well, I agree that there shouldn't be a SS V-6. They should however make the RS package something a bit more than ground effects, and exhaust though. Give a RS that appeals to the young crowd, and some may not buy as many imports. How many eclipses and V-6 stangs are sold? Many GM can get a bigger bite out of that action.

------------------
1996 Camaro RS
Black M5 T-Top
Old 08-06-2002, 09:59 PM

Well, I agree that there shouldn't be a SS V-6. They should however make the RS package something a bit more than ground effects, and exhaust though. Give a RS that appeals to the young crowd, and some may not buy as many imports. How many eclipses and V-6 stangs are sold? Many GM can get a bigger bite out of that action.

------------------
1996 Camaro RS
Black M5 T-Top
Old 08-06-2002, 10:12 PM

If some1 really said that Z284 there are bigger out of touch morons in there than I thought. GM needs new people (or the dudes that knew what they were doing back) so much its not even funny.

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited August 07, 2002).]
Old 08-07-2002, 02:07 PM

After those and other comments were made by GM...a letter writing campaign was initiated by Camaro enthusiasts regarding the Z/28.

The Camaro brand manager at the time seemed to get the message "loud and clear", was thankful that this gave his people the opportunity to educate themselves on Camaro history and would have done things differently had they known such a base of enthusiasm existed.

Alas....he moved on to a different job shortly there after, taking his new found appreciation for the Z/28 and it's fans with him.

But I wouldn't be surprised if all those letter didn't end up saving the Z/28...even in "devalued" form.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:45 PM

Stupid.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:57 PM

Thankyou Z284ever, I respect your opinions and the manner in which you present them.I know what you are saying with the Z/28. GM has put it on the back burner so to speak, and that is unfortunate. The overall lack of choices in the f-body line is what really bothers me. Cash strapped Ford is doing a better job of marketing the Mustang. They are producing a product that is so well rounded that it fits the needs and desires of a variety of people. In others words, Ford is giving consumers choices, and we all know that is a very good thing. Just take your pick...GT..Mach1..Cobra..etc.The f-body needs choices. Whether GM likes it or not, they need to give us more models, or at least make them different enough that they are appealing to new buyers. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind seeing the Z/28 take the position that the Cobra holds for Ford. The SS would serve nicely as a Mach1 like vehicle. Low production, with cool styling and strong performance.Open up the pocketbook and reward the f-body for it's 35 years of promoting General Motors. Have enough choices so that the consumer can pick what suits them best. Afterall we (consumers and enthusiasts) are what keeps the company afloat. Maybe it's time to reward us a little...

-Mike
Old 08-07-2002, 11:06 PM

I couldn't agree more! Ford has done a spectacular job of giving Mustang enthusiasts choices.

Is it because they sell more Mustangs...or do they sell more Mustangs because of it?

For whatever reason, GM has shown less imagination, less initiative, and less commitment with the Camaro. WHAT A SHAME!!! AND HOW SAD FOR CAMARO ENTHUSIASTS!

BTW...I like your Camaro SS analogy to the Mach 1.
A car with some nice retro cues geared more for the drag strip than the road course: In a perfect world, a description appropriate for either Mach 1 or Camaro SS.

And in a perfect world a Camaro SS and a Camaro Z/28 could co-exist within their own specific niches, making different enthusiasts happy.

What a simple and common sense formula....how disturbing that GM just doesn't get it.