Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What Would You Like To Know From Mark Reuss? For GMHTP Interview

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 11:02 AM

Post What Would You Like To Know From Mark Reuss? For GMHTP Interview

I will be conducting an interview with GM's Performance Division chief, Mark Reuss, next week. I have the opportunity to ask him pretty much anything and I wanted to get a feel for what you guys want to see in the story.

I will obviously ask him about the Camaro's status, however, it is my experience that rarely are direct questions about future products answered. (That doesn't mean we can't try.)

The best questions that you get the most information out of are "soft" questions about direction. If you phrase the question right, the answer can exclude a lot of BS without forcing him to say "no comment." You might not get a direct answer, but you might be able to get him to admit that there won't be a big push into Aztec Bike Racks or stripe/decal packages!

Obviously, you'll want to include your real, given name and hometown so that we can give you credit for the question when the magazine comes out.

Questions for Mark only, no comments or flames.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:08 AM

How about this question...

Do they have plans for putting the Supercharged V6 slatted for the Impala SS into the Monte Carlo SS?

I have not yet read/heard anything actually confirming it... it just seems to be assumed.

Obviously , it would make a lot of sense to do so...

Old 08-16-2002, 11:18 AM

If he is the head of thier performance group then he won't have much impact on regular cars or if the Camaro gets made. Ask him if thier is any plans to consolidate Chevy's or GM's performance cars under one name. Liek all Chevey performance cars be called SS liek for does with SVT.

------------------
Branden-Founder- GMInsidenews and NewAgeGTO

1995 Firebird White withe Red Leather!
Visit my homepage!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:19 AM

"What would you tell GM fans when there is so many affordable performance cars out there and some real imports are coming and GM has really no affordables fast cars."

There is a question that isn't direct and could help us see the future of the 5th gen.

Jonathan Camere
Miami, FL

Feel free to edit the question. If you like...
------------------
South Florida F-Body Association
1994 White Camaro Z28 A4 3.23
Surface-To-Surface Anti-Rice Missile
CAI, MAF Ends, AirFoil, Headers, !CAT, Cutout, Shift Kit, STB, SFC, Tunnel Brace, Enkei Wins and SS LS1 Wing.
Wallpaper 1024x768
"When I start my car, I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end" - Homer Simpson

[This message has been edited by jcamere94z28 (edited August 16, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by jcamere94z28 (edited August 16, 2002).]
Old 08-16-2002, 12:14 PM

I like jcamere94z28's question. I would like to know what GM has in mind for the affordable performance area.

------------------
1996 Camaro RS
Black M5 T-Top
Old 08-16-2002, 12:23 PM

Generally speaking.....where and which division will have a performance focus at GM?

We've heard alot of performance hyperbole and even action regarding Pontiac and Cadillac....which is fair enough....but what of Chevy? I hope it won't be playing a performance "second fiddle" to other divisions.

What is the level of commitment for performance at Chevrolet?
Old 08-16-2002, 12:32 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"What would tell GM fans when there is so many affordable performance cars out there and some real imports are coming and GM has really no affordables fast cars."
There is a question that isn't direct and could help us see the future of the 5th gen.

Jonathan Camere
Miami, FL </font>
What he said. What is GMPD doing to offer affordable muscle-car performance?

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red Trans Am WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash
Old 08-16-2002, 12:35 PM

Exactly. Ask him specifically about the potential for GM RWD V-8 cars in general. I mean seriously, in this day and age, any RWD V-8 will be considered a performace car, so I don't think you need to over-emphasize the performance aspect of it. But for me, I would like to know what future this particular layout has, in his opinion. I don't even really care if it's a Camaro, Firebird, Monte Carlo, GTO, or even a 4 door for that matter (given the state of affairs in MY2003), but obviously I would prefer a Camaro if push came to shove.

CamaroZ28.com sig is fine for crediting purposes
Old 08-16-2002, 12:38 PM

With GM apparently moving to introduce a flurry of new RWD cars over the next few years, what is the corporate philosophy regarding 2-door,RWD, v8 enthusiast oriented coupes and their viability as part of GMs lineup in the future?

Chris Renner
Hendersonville, TN

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6
Old 08-16-2002, 12:52 PM

I always hear alot about powertrain. But how about development on suspension for tearing up roadcourses, brakes for fadefree stopping, Steering pumps and reseviors that don't froth over, etc.. What plans, tests, development on paper and in real life - like 30 min all out runs on roadcourses?

Also, on the flip side, are there any plans/projects/research for AWD sedans (like the WRX, that Lancer EVO, Audi A4)? I heard some buzz on the that new Ecotech 4 banger, but I've only heard of a drag racing application, which is cool.. but perhaps is there also a plan with a suitable platform to hit autox or roadracing?

How would everything trickle down to the consumer? Will we be able to purchase specific parts straight from the Performance division? Or would they just appear as options on models when you buy new cars? or alittle of both?

Ken Shih
Hillsboro, OR

[This message has been edited by Ken S (edited August 16, 2002).]
Old 08-16-2002, 01:13 PM

Question

ask him about a big block silverado ss or a more potent small block(400 hp+)
Old 08-16-2002, 01:36 PM

Thumbs up

I second the motion on questions about affordable performance, future of performance coupes, and rear drive cars in general.

Old 08-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

My question is how and what a person has to do to go to work for this performance division. I know an engineering degree, but I am more interested in specifics on what exactly they are looking for.
Also ask him how he got to be where he is with GM and how old he is.

How much money does he make?

[This message has been edited by 95 Z-28 LT1 (edited August 18, 2002).]

Last edited by 95 Z/28 LT1; 04-30-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:51 PM

I thought of another question:

With all of the recent concept vehicles that have been powered by engines using forced induction, is GMPD going to use f/i in any of its vehicles?

I think alot of people would like to see the TT'd Atlas I6 in some type of vehicle.

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red Trans Am WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash
Old 08-16-2002, 04:41 PM

I want to know about low cost performance. Everybody has high price performance.

Also, are they going to offer more manual transmissions since almost everything they make is auto only?

T. Hill
Ann Arbor, MI
------------------
If it breaks, it wasn't high performance enough.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT
2000 Jetta M5

[This message has been edited by WERM (edited August 19, 2002).]

Quick Reply: What Would You Like To Know From Mark Reuss? For GMHTP Interview