Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

why doesn't chevy make a camaro from a CTS...they make XLT's and Escaldes from chevy'

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 01:35 PM

Post why doesn't chevy make a camaro from a CTS...they make XLT's and Escaldes from chevy'

Hey guys......
This is just a question coming from my curiousity of why GM does what it does. I'm not saying i would necessarily want to see this happen but why didn't it? First Chevy came out with the Avalanche and then all of the sudden Caddy got something that looks (body wise) exactly the same but called the XLT. Then Caddy also took a body from the Chevy SUV line up and used it for an Escalade (also with just a new and rear fascia). Granted what's underneath the hood of these vehicles in no way resembles what their chevy sister cars have, however why doesn't GM do a little role reversal to get a new camaro into their line up.
We all heard rumors about something someday being developed for us on the sigma platform...but it's wayyyy toooo expensive?????? Why the hell is it soooooo expensive to convert a cts into a camaro. Why the hell didn't chevy just use that platform and put a chevy front end and rear fascias( just like cadillac does with the SVT and Escalade) and have a new sports car added to their line up. The CTS is one aggressive looking car and would look mighty fine with wide tires, wide body panels, and a bowtie on the front with an already developed ls1 to cut costs. If CTS in in the mid 30's to buy...i think cutting out the luxery engine and interior would bring a camaro back down into the mid 20's.

Just curious,
Rob O.
1995 Camaro 3.4L
Old 09-06-2002, 01:48 PM

Actually, they are thinking about it...
http://c6firebird.freeservers.com/rwd.html
Old 09-06-2002, 01:51 PM

Thumbs up

Rob,

From what the general feeling is, if Camaro does make a comeback, the Sigma architecture would be the most logical fit...

Even Red Planet has said "Think Sigma"

CTS was the first Sigma car, so what you are thinking is quite possible...
Old 09-06-2002, 02:16 PM

I really don't see the cost issues of why this couldn't have been conceived, planned, and put into production the SAME TIME as the introduction of CTS, which BTW pretty much coincided with the demise of the f-body. I'm not even saying I would like to have seen this happen but it's just not logical why it did not. This would have been the cheapy way out for GM instead of trying to develop whatever in gods name they are going to do now that's going to take till 2005. CTS would still have served it's purpose for revival in the dying interest in cadallic and at the same time fueled americas hunger for a goddang RWD sportscar. If it didn't work out keep production on the CTS...or at least keep this transformed CTS-camaro until something else was developed.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:48 PM

Maybe this CTSV is a testing ground for a new camro powertrain. Could they be testing the chasis ability to handle the power???

Ok, i know wishful thinking
Old 09-06-2002, 04:46 PM

Sigma platform is to be Cadillacs exclusively for a little while. My understanding is that, while the Sigma platform would be attractive for a revived Camaro/Firebird, there is not the production capacity for it (due to other vehicles already earmarked for it).

Who knows...... that is just what I have read.

Remember, what makes sense, and what actually happens are often 2 very different things.

------------------
Gloria
93 EB Explorer, 1000RTI
94 F150 Lightning, 116,000 miles
01 F150 Lightning, FAST !!!!
Old 09-07-2002, 01:59 AM

Cool

If GM goes with a RWD Monte Carlo and Impala for 2006 it would be very easy to have a new Camaro too, but they would all have to ride on the new sigma platform.

The Camaro either has to use the sigma platform, or GM has to create a new platform. A new platform would be too expensive for one model, and GM wants factories that can turn out two or three different models in each plant, so it's either sigma or no 5th gen.

Lutz has said he wants a Sigma high-volume platform to be used in the near future.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:03 PM

Cool

To answer your question, look at Bob Lutz's quote in that article http://c6firebird.freeservers.com/rwd.html : "The new cars will be based on a less-costly, higher-volume version of GM's new Sigma luxury vehicle architecture". That pretty much says it all.

As I've been saying, although Chevy's RWD cars (including Camaro) will have some sigma components, it won't be based on the "Cadillac" sigma and it's being developed in conjunction with the future Holden line.

Save this post for future reference.