Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why not? GTO, Ute, Lumina SS, etc....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 03:42 PM

Post Why not? GTO, Ute, Lumina SS, etc....

I just thought I'd bunch together some random thoughts I felt from various threads and see what happens.

Lumina SS

Why does that look like a more appealing car than the GTO to me? I don't know if I'd use the Lumina name... but I'd buy it over the GTO.

Though I don't care for the new GTO I have heard an excellent comment justifying the GTO name being used on another car's platform... ever heard of the Tempest/LeMans? Slap on a few exterior changes, some badging, and some added performance, and you've made one of the best known muscle cars ever created.

What happened to the concept GTO from '99-'00? Okay maybe it was a unrealistic design but it had amazing potential, and it at least had some resemblance of a GTO... I'm not saying they should go to rediculous lengths to make it look like the old GTO, but when I'm driving down the road I want people to know what I'm driving, a little design goes a long way.

What's wrong with the Ute SS? It's a gorgeous car and make some minor adjustments and put El Camino on it and it's ready... not only that noone will mistaken it for an S10 like many are going to do with the GTO/Grand Prix.

Uhh... why does the Grand AM GT with the SC/T hood look more like a muscle car than the GTO?

------------------
25th Anniversary T/A, LT1 275 Factory HP.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:49 PM

Why do all of these topics look really familiar?
Old 07-15-2002, 03:50 PM
gab

The middleeast LuminaSS is really a Holden Commodore, and GuionM, from a recent thread, has already mentioned that the Commodore won't be making it to NA because this market's already been covered by Impala, etc.

I would be interested in a car like the Commodore myself, seeing I now just added another to my family. With 8yo and a baby, I don't know if the GTO will fit my lifestyle; But the Commodore definitely will...

[edited in response to jrp4u]

that's because life goes around in circles after a while.

[This message has been edited by gab (edited July 15, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by gab (edited July 15, 2002).]
Old 07-15-2002, 06:14 PM

"Lumina SS

Why does that look like a more appealing car than the GTO to me? I don't know if I'd use the Lumina name... but I'd buy it over the GTO."

Because it doesn't look just like the Grand Am/Prix, which already doesn't look like a musclecar.

"Though I don't care for the new GTO I have heard an excellent comment justifying the GTO name being used on another car's platform... ever heard of the Tempest/LeMans? Slap on a few exterior changes, some badging, and some added performance, and you've made one of the best known muscle cars ever created."

That is cool IMO.

"I'm not saying they should go to rediculous lengths to make it look like the old GTO, but when I'm driving down the road I want people to know what I'm driving, a little design goes a long way."

I AGREE.

"What's wrong with the Ute SS? It's a gorgeous car and make some minor adjustments and put El Camino on it and it's ready... not only that noone will mistaken it for an S10 like many are going to do with the GTO/Grand Prix."

Makes sense.

"Uhh... why does the Grand AM GT with the SC/T hood look more like a muscle car than the GTO?"

GOOD question!!

[This message has been edited by IZ28 (edited July 15, 2002).]
Old 07-16-2002, 12:44 PM

The looks of the Grand Am GT with it's added on cladding & scoops is exactly what Pontiac is getting away from.