Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Would this really sell here, as an El Camino?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 12:53 AM

Would this really sell here, as an El Camino?

http://autodeadline.com/detail?sourc...62569&mime=JPG

I know alot of you have wanted the Holden Ute brought here as a new El Camino....but does GM really need something like this here? Would it really sell in substantial numbers....and how much would it cost?

You could make the argument that it could be a "boutique" halo product for Chevy...but how does that square with SSR?

If it costs anywhere near the GTO....I think, it'll fail. But if it doesn't cost that much....is it even worth GM's time to import?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:52 AM

Re: Would this really sell here, as an El Camino?

Possibly it would. I think updating it with some more aggressive styling cues would help it out some more. I liked some pieces of the old HRT Maloo concept from a few years ago. Decrease the size of the wheels some tone it down a little and it would be great.

http://speed.supercars.net/Board?vie...D=1&tID=118361
Old 08-23-2004, 09:16 AM

It's a good design, but I think it would have to be more aggressive like Burnmite said. The number on thing that would drive sales down would probably be the costs. The Camaro and Firebirds cost less than 30K, and had the top of the line engine, so it would take a lower price than what they would want to sell it for.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:31 AM

I think it would do ok if it was restyled a little, other wise it might get bashed like the GTO did at first.

$22K for a V6 version
$25K for a 5.3L V8 version

at those prices it would do fine.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:36 AM

current rrp on a SS ute is US$29,305.50
Old 08-23-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I think it would do ok if it was restyled a little, other wise it might get bashed like the GTO did at first.

$22K for a V6 version
$25K for a 5.3L V8 version

at those prices it would do fine.
I thought it has the 5.7L engine.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:48 AM

hell yeah it would....I think it would do very well...I'd buy one.....
Old 08-23-2004, 10:36 AM

needs better styling imo...
looks just too curvy and everything, put some hard edged lines in there and that'd look great
i think there is a market for it, especially since people are buying cars that fit differently in the market now (pt cruiser, dodge magnum, etc.)
maybe gm can be the first to introduce this instead of following
Old 08-23-2004, 10:54 AM

The UTE is about $8,000 cheaper than a comprable Monaro.

Alot of you are COMPLETELY missing the entire point of the UTE, and the guys around when the El Camino & Ranchero were around will tell you this.

'Caminos were the vehicles used by construction foremen, farmers, people who did light hauling or deliveries, salesmen & demonstrators, as well as some truckers. SS versions were sold to people who wanted something sporty & different along with the fact these things were lighter than comparable Chevelles, and therefore typically quicker.

The SSR is simply a toy. You arent going to put anything in it's bed. You aren't going to see it in rural areas, and you aren't going to see it on dragstrips. El Caminos & Rancheros were not replaced with the SSR or some "halo" vehicle.

What killed the El Camino was the death of the General Motors rear-drive "G" bodies. What the buyers turned to as a replacement for the El Camino was the Chevrolet S10 pickup truck not an SSR.

So if you want to put the Holden UTE into how will a Chevrolet El Camino affect the sales of the regular cab Chevrolet Colorado, since that's exactly where the sales will be peeled away from.

The El Camino would also count as a "truck" for tax & regulation purposes, since it actually has an impressive payload for it's size.

No question whatsoever what I'd buy.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:00 AM

Sorry but I woudn't buy it (as it is right now)

but i do like this design
http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/02/09...0932109_pv.jpg
Old 08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Prominent Member

In this day of do everything utility vehicles, (with at least four seats) i.e. the Avalanche, etc... even the new GMC with the sliding roof....is there really a market for a two seater, car/truck that wouldn't have the towing capacity of a half ton PU?

Price wise, I can buy a base model 1/2 ton for well under $13k (probably a V6 though)
....so if I need a truck for the occasional weekend project, or towing jet skis, I can buy two+ PU's for the price of one of these car/trucks........I don't get it.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:39 AM

Are they going to bring them to the US? How many more model years will it be built on the outgoing platform?
Old 08-23-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
In this day of do everything utility vehicles, (with at least four seats) i.e. the Avalanche, etc... even the new GMC with the sliding roof....is there really a market for a two seater, car/truck that wouldn't have the towing capacity of a half ton PU?

Price wise, I can buy a base model 1/2 ton for well under $13k (probably a V6 though)
....so if I need a truck for the occasional weekend project, or towing jet skis, I can buy two+ PU's for the price of one of these car/trucks........I don't get it.

Seems like people are looking for cars that break the mold.

I'm sure you won't sell an El Camino to a female used to driving an Avalanche, or a guy who needs an SUV to haul around his family or simply to have something big to drive around. You probally won't sell any to Dodge Ram or Chevy Silverado buyers either.

But for someone that wants the utility of a small truck, but doesn't do anything heavy, yet at the same time want's something that actually drives like a car, and may in fact have better gas mileage and is much quicker than a Colorado or Ranger, they will sell well.

You won't see hundreds of thousands on the road, but you'll see plenty.

Not understanding the El Camino when there are small trucks available is like not understanding a Camaro or Mustang when there are equally quick sedans that haul more people, have more room & comfort, and run the same price and sell in far greater quanities.

Same arguments hold for Holden Utes-Chevrolet El Caminos.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Prominent Member

That doesn't address maybe my (poorly stated, on my part) point of a vehicle that is a two seater, that has limited utility, that will cost mid to high $20k......Who can afford that as a second car....when there's other cheaper....more utilitarian choices availabe?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Craddock
I thought it has the 5.7L engine.
Currently they are, but the 5.7L V8s are just about dead at GM. All the new cars/trucks will use a 5.3L or 6.0L (LS2)

Quick Reply: Would this really sell here, as an El Camino?