Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

advise on what to get for new car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 08:34 PM

Cool advise on what to get for new car!!!

Ok, i just got rid of my old car wich was a 91 camaro rs white, v6 and it had kenwood cd player, sony explodes 6x9's and two power acoustic 10's in the back that hit pretty hard with a jenson amp, i'm wondering what should i get for the new beast that is a 91 Camaro rs, black, v8 355motor.???? i'm not sure what to get for this beast. any advise is good, i'm thinking about keep the explodes, but i don't think that they hit right in my car like they would with a car that has actual like, something to hit on besides the frame for bass.. ya know? what should i do guys, any advise would help!
Old 10-19-2002, 09:09 AM

car audio

I guess it all depends on wha you are into. Do you want great quality or are you interested in spl only. I would say start with a good deck. If you like the kenwood you had get another. It really doesn't matter what 6x9's you use because I have never been able to get avery much bass out of the side panels. Find the best front speakers you can and then get some subs and either a 4 channel amp or two amps. The crossover combined with the extra power is what will really make you car sing.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:58 AM

Cool Quality is allways good

Probally look for the most, but bass is allways good!
Your probally right about the amps though... what are the best kind of front speakers??
TTT
Old 10-20-2002, 07:15 AM

the front speakers are the most personal part of the whole stereo system. You need to find a set of fronts that match your listening tastes.... we can recommend brands, but DON'T buy without making sure they fit your listening preferences.

For a really laid back tweet the ADS speakers are my favorite, and it is what i run in my car... no listening fatigue here
I am sure others can recommend a tweet that will fit if you like it screaming in your ear (i don't).

As far as good yet cheap amps go, JBL, USAcoustics, and Hifonics amps can all be found on the internet for GREAT prices and the quality step up from the Jensen is very noticable. If you are looking for very high end stuff ARC audio, Soundstream, PPI, and Avionixx are all a decent step up from the standard Rockford and MTX stuff.
I say if options don't matter then go with USAcoustics or JBL not many options, but plenty of clean power for the price. If you want more options and have the money to back it up, there are very few companies better than Arc and Avionixx, but they all come at a huge price increase.

as far as subs go.... here is my take.
for $85 on ebay you can get a 10w0, and it will be a nice pair of subs, but for $125 shipped to your door you can get an Adire audio Shiva (w/3 year warranty)that will take that pair of 10w0's and make them cry for their mommy. The shiva will DOMINATE them in sound quality, destroy them in low end and should beat them in output. if you want the sound quality of the shiva but more output go with its big brother the Tempest $150. It might be a little harder to fit a bix for this 15 in your car, but if you can it will be well worth it... trust me!!!
If you need a smaller box i would also recommend the Image Dynamics IDQ, Elemental Designs 12 K and Alpine Type R. These subs give up plenty of efficiency to the shiva, but can go in a lot smaller box. 400 watts to any of these will give you GREAT sound quality, but you have to decide between box size and output.... i think the Shiva is slightly better than either, but not by much.... did i mention that it is cheaper too? If you can afford a super sub, The Adire Brahma is nearly on par with the JL Audio W7 series for about 2/3 the price.... i recently had a guy in my car to listen to my Brahma 10 and he said "wow that sounds just like my pair of 10W7's" he said that his got louder, but i am running 1300 watts to my single Brahma 10 and he is running 3000 to his pair of 10w7's... now if i only had 2000 watts on my single 10 i would be a lot closer. sound quality on the Brahma series is among the best in the world, and the output is very very good we tied for second with a single Brahma 15 in a SQ tuned (30 Hz) TINY ported box (2.3 cubes)in a local competition against a guy running 50% more power to his 4 MTX 6000 12's in higher tuned ported boxes
Old 10-20-2002, 10:49 PM

if you listen to a lot of rap, go for a good bass setup ie 2 12s or 10s...jls w6s or jl w3s. if you want more HIGHS go for a good component system...ie mb quartz or infinity kappas....good luck..congrats on your new car! i just got a 2003 toyota matrix so i know what you're going through, but trust me...u get sick of the bass after a while. hope this helps, but it's all based on your preferences..
-ben