Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

alternator and battery power

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 09:37 PM

And how many db's are yopu hitting Mr. Megabass big shot? I put my money into my whole system, not just my bass. I think 144 is pretty damn good considering im only running 1000 watts to 2 12's. I also still have my back seat, and space for my tops because i mounted the box in the area between the backseat and the trunk. Of course i could hit alot harder if i used my trunk and seat space, but im not an idiot. In my last db drag i beat a 1996 trans am with 2 MA Audio 18's. Waht kind of system you got, and how much you hittin' big guy?
Old 08-18-2002, 09:50 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ur2slo50:
Waht kind of system you got, and how much you hittin' big guy?</font>
I never said my system was bigger or badder than yours mister 4 posts. My system is irrelevant. I just think that for having a 4cu.ft. ported box (I assume) and 1,000 watts that number sounded kinda low.

I built a sealed box for a guy in NY with only 1.0 cubes per sub using two 12w3s and 1,000 watts and his very first competition hit 143.6. So I'm sitting here wondering what you are doing wrong. Perhaps like you said, your amp just isn't getting the juice or your box configuration needs some work. Don't flame me dude, we're just trying to help you.

I've got better things to "pour all my money" into than stereo equipment Lol. Besides, when I get sleeper96Z's box done, you will see how us idiots can get get a 3 cu.ft. box and t-tops in the well (hint-hint). And we'll see what his Brahmas can do with it.

[This message has been edited by megabass (edited August 18, 2002).]
Old 08-18-2002, 09:58 PM

Yeah, lose the attitude pal or don't come asking for help.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:09 PM

i guess i got money to kick around you dumb ****, unlike you considering you probably build sub boxes all day for your hic buddies lol
Old 08-19-2002, 02:15 AM

144dB for 2 12s, in a ported box with 1000W RMS isn't that great. you should be able to hit that in a sealed box.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:45 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x7x7:
I have a stock alternator in my '96 and it's 140A.

camaudio, where did you get that info? I don't think it's right. I know 93s came with a 105A and my car came with a 140A.
</font>
well, my 97 came with a 140 and my friends 94s came with 120s and last time i checked, the 98+ had the 105s
Old 08-19-2002, 01:04 PM

ur2slo50,

Why did you come on this site to flame the two most knowledgable people on here. You have no post count and have proved not to be very wise in word choice. Problem is, even if you aren't too bad of a guy, you have attached a stigma to your name.

Matt
Old 08-19-2002, 07:06 PM

I honestly don't think any of you sub-humans know what your talking about. All of you said that installing a bigger battery and alternator wouldn't increase db's, and you also said that having a capacitator can reduce db's. Well, i was talking to a guy at my local audio shop and he used to hit 148.2. But after installing a bigger battery, alternator, and 2 capacitators, he now hits 152.7.. Theres your proof boys
Old 08-19-2002, 07:23 PM

I honestly don't think any of you sub-humans know what your talking about. All of you said that installing a bigger battery and alternator wouldn't increase db's, and you also said that having a capacitator can reduce db's. Well, i was talking to a guy at my local audio shop and he used to hit 148.2. But after installing a bigger battery, alternator, and 2 capacitators, he now hits 152.7.. Theres your proof boys </font>
That is proof of little. It all depends on the components that are used. You can do better with a new alternator, and battery, but that is not every case. In your case i would suggest just the alternator, since you are not running a lot of power....
If you were running 4 1200 watt amps with a stock alternator then you would certainly need a bank of batteries.
a capacitor WILL NOT help in a DB competition. BTW when you get as loud as me with your system let me know little guy. 147 with a single 15 and 1000 watts.
I can garantee that i know more about car audio than you, and your attitude is NOT appreciated. why don't you do a little research and instead of taking somone's word for it that stands to make money off you, find out the truth.I am willing to help anyone, but if you won't take my word for it go anywhere and they will tell you the same thing... here are a few places for you to do a search.

Soundillusions.net
elitecaraudio.com
termpro.com
carsound.com
caraudioforum.com
teamamp.com

i can garantee that all will tell you to lose the cap and get a bigger box and play with the tuning frequency a little.

Take my advice if you like, but don't come with some half assed second hand "some guy told me" story.

------------------
Soundillusions.net
The ultimate in caraudio.

Sony, Arc Audio, Infinity, Adire Audio, A/D/S
Old 08-19-2002, 07:25 PM

Hey Einstein, what the hell is a capacitator?

4.5dB increase? You and your "guy" are both dreaming.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:34 PM

If you don't believe me then punch the numbers yourself

E=ir
P=iE
P=E^2/r

in this case the inductance of the coil is ignored and the resistance of the coil is the important part
E=electromotive force (measured in Volts)
i=current (measured in amps)
P=power (measured in watts)

I already did the calculations in one of my above posts, if you want to verify then go right ahead, but as an electrical engineering student i am pretty confident of my capabilities.

I restate.
#1 You don't need a second battery
#2 you should not need a new alternator, but it would be my pick of alternatives if i were in your situation, rewinding would be a good option, as would be getting a smaller pulley.
#3 Scrap the cap

------------------
Soundillusions.net

Old 08-19-2002, 08:44 PM

ok boys
#1) If you are into car audio and don't know what a capacitator is, get you head out of your ****
#2) I don't want multiple batteries. I want to replace my Interstate battery with a Yellow top battery. I want a yellow top because they charge much faster and give off power much faster
Old 08-19-2002, 09:09 PM

ok boys
#1) If you are into car audio and don't know what a capacitator is, get you head out of your ****
#2) I don't want multiple batteries. I want to replace my Interstate battery with a Yellow top battery. I want a yellow top because they charge much faster and give off power much faster
</font>
If your charging system drops that far so that you need the battery to supply power that your alt can't supply then you have some serious alternator issues. You just aren't running that much power to need it... but if it makes you feel better go ahead.

------------------
Soundillusions.net

Old 08-19-2002, 09:34 PM

Look you moron it's called a capacitor. NOT a capacitator. Jerk!
Old 08-19-2002, 10:00 PM

Well, he IS from Canada....

That explains ALOT

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">ok boys
#2) I don't want multiple batteries. I want to replace my Interstate battery with a Yellow top battery. I want a yellow top because they charge much faster and give off power much faster </font>
Isn't it aboot time for you to go away now eh?
------------------
Chris Anderson
--------------------
Black 99SS M6 all SLP Options
Mods - Cutout, Direct-Flo Lid, GMS MAF, Hurst Shifter with Chrome Handle, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 Tires.
Best ET 13.60 @ 104.31
Best MPH 13.92 @ 108.81

[This message has been edited by Chrisdude (edited August 19, 2002).]

Quick Reply: alternator and battery power