Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Bose stereo aftermarket HU question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM

Arrow Bose stereo aftermarket HU question

I had my Pioneer head unit with stock BOSE system rewired due to the speakers were cutting in/out sometimes and the rear speakers by the rear seats did not work at all. Once i got it back all speakers work but the bass isn't as good and 80% of the sound comes from the speaker in the trunk. when i change the fade to the front it's really quiet even turned up. What did they do wrong? I take it back Thursday and have already paid the shop $130. It sounded better before when the rear speakers didn't work! WTF?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Well your bose system was a 3 speaker setup and your HU is a 4speaker setup. so if they wired all door and panel speakers there would be no wire left for the sub in the trunk. Check to see if your sub is now hooked up maybe they didnt connect it-this would be your answer to your bass reduction. I had the bose system in my car and i removed it and had panel and door speakers and i get NO bass from them. Its probably the enclosure setup or something or me lol. Have u opened up your side panels grills to see if there was speakers in their? because from the stock bose systems dont include side panel speakers. When they rewired it did they bypass the bose amps?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 PM

I have the 5 speaker bose system in my car and when I had a sony head unit put in it I had to run the back seat speakers off the amp in the trunk cause aftermarket head units only power 4 speakers.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 AM

Wow, lots of bad info in here.

http://shbox.com/1/bose_wiring.jpg

The Bose system is a 5-speaker setup, with the fifth speaker incorporated into the amp in the back. The 2 rear bass speakers are directly powered and amplified by the amp, while the front 2 only receive power from the amp, and have their own individual amps (attached to the speakers).

The amp has an on/off signal wire that tells it when to turn on. It takes the 2 signal wires for each rear speaker from the HU and amplifies them, then sends them to the speakers.

When you wire up an aftermarket HU, you wire it up just like a normal 4 speaker system, except you hook up that amp signal wire as well.

So if you wired from the HU directly to the speakers, they are going to sound very weak, because you are bypassing the amp. You probably already blew them, so I would replace them.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Wow, lots of bad info in here.

http://shbox.com/1/bose_wiring.jpg

The Bose system is a 5-speaker setup, with the fifth speaker incorporated into the amp in the back. The 2 rear bass speakers are directly powered and amplified by the amp, while the front 2 only receive power from the amp, and have their own individual amps (attached to the speakers).

The amp has an on/off signal wire that tells it when to turn on. It takes the 2 signal wires for each rear speaker from the HU and amplifies them, then sends them to the speakers.

When you wire up an aftermarket HU, you wire it up just like a normal 4 speaker system, except you hook up that amp signal wire as well.

So if you wired from the HU directly to the speakers, they are going to sound very weak, because you are bypassing the amp. You probably already blew them, so I would replace them.
This is all correct information. However, when you simply install an aftermarket HU on the bose system you are essentially double-amplifying the speakers and that is why the sound is so loud. The bose speakers are paper-coned garbage which developed feedback after some time so i gutted my entire system after running my Pioneer HU for about 2-years or so on the factory equipment. I replaced all the speakers, removed the rear bose amp and put a 4-channel amp on the speakers. I suggest a route similar to this if you want good sound without going overboard.