Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Installing an Alpine CDA7873

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 04:49 PM

Post Installing an Alpine CDA7873

To power the VDrive amp in this deck, it says I need to connect the yellow lead directly to the positive terminal on my battery. What's the best way to run that lead? And should I get a 10 guage wire with fuse to hook it up or will the factory wire work?
Old 08-04-2002, 08:13 PM

I just hooked mine up to a yellow wire from the dash

It's only temporary, as I didnt feel like mucking about running another lead, but I think i'll do it soon, there's a thick wire going to the back for the amp that I could follow.

But mine sounds just fine now, the speakers are limiting the volume I can play at... no power problems at all.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:26 PM

Yea I got the Alpine 7894 and since I'm think things should be done right the 1st time I ran a wire from the battery to the reciver (going though the gromet to get the power wire through)
Old 08-05-2002, 06:39 PM

Correction on the deck model, it's a 7893. Where should I route the wire for the power lead? I haven't been under the dash of my TA yet, so I don't know where the rubber gromets for wiring are. And since I'm running wires through the firewall, should I also ground the deck on the battery too?
Old 08-05-2002, 07:11 PM

There is no need to run the ground that far (nor should the ground go that far). You just gotta find a bold to the chassies under your dash and ground it to that. Well you don't need to take your dash apart to wire stuff up.

1st pop your hood and look for the PCM (passanger side by the windsheild). There will be 2 black screws that hold the PCM to the car, unbolt them and pull it out (can be tricky, don't lose your cool). Then when you have it moved out of the way you will see a black gromet, just fish the wire though there. Your gonna have to take the top kick pannel off (on my camaro I just need to pull out 2 plastic screws and left the metal one at the end attached). Then go back to the gromet and keep fishin wire though there till you think you'll have enough to grab (Fish alot though there), then go back to the inside and try to grab the wire with your hand and pull it. Then run the wire to the HU and attach to the yellow wire. Put everything back together.

Be sure to have your stock stereo taken out when runnin the wire and hope you understand most of what i said . 18 gauge wire or higher will be fine for the wiring.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can find a way not to remove the PCM, but I have a feeling I won't have a choice.

One other question. There's a yellow power lead still connected to the GM harness. What do I do with that wire? I was going to wire the rest of the GM adapter harness up, but leave the yellow lead coming off the deck out of the harness, and wire it directly to the battery.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:00 PM

Well since I re-wired everything to new speakers I didn't have to deal with that, but since you will have power to the unit via the battery, you won't need the power wire on the harness. So I would just clip it off (this way you don't have this wire attached to the HU) and then tape it up.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:33 PM

Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it. I'll post some pics of the install when it's all done.