Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

need help picking an EQ/crossover

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 06:05 PM

need help picking an EQ/crossover

well, after tuning and tuning and tuning off my amp crossovers i cant get the sound that i am looking for out of my Brahmas. there is the faint hint of voices at low volumes (bass overwhelms at high volumes) that bothers me a lot (old setup in my iroc had a crossover, hence no voices). ive been hearing a lot of things, like if i get an EQ all i need is a 5-10 band EQ, as ones over that seem to be a PITA to tune to the different musics i listen to. in terms of crossovers i dont know a whole lot, but one of my friends fully endorses the phoenix gold bass cube, and it looks pretty cool and is affordable (<$150). any tips/help/recommendations???
thanks,
brian
Old 10-08-2002, 01:38 PM

EQ

I have the Kenwood KGC4042 and have had the 6042 also. I love them both - - nice clean sound and simple. I like the 4042 because it's compact. It gives up a little control but not quality. ALpine's old 3321 was awfully nice too. If you want to go big go with an Audiocontrol unit. You can pick up the Kenwoods for 50-100 on ebay all day long.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:57 PM

Well, what you're looking for is a Crossover, not an EQ. I'd say look for an AudioControl 2xs for the subs (It takes 1 pair of RCA's and makes a high-output, and Low-output, perfect for subwoofer crossover. I found one on Ebay for ~$50, new they're about $100. Check out Audiocontrol's website and go from there, but Ebay's your best bet for pricing. That should get rid of your voices issue, and probably keep your speakers from distorting some as well.

I'm running a MTX crossover, and a Alpine ERA-G320 EQ. I'm using the EQ for the sound effects and surround sound processing, and the Cross-over to keep the front's from getting anything under 80 Hz. I'm using the built-in subwoofer crossover on my rear amp to keep that under 80 Hz. Although I'm going to be upgrading to a Alpine PXA-H510 this winter..

Mike
Old 10-08-2002, 02:57 PM

yeah, ive been looking at the audio control units for a bit now, although i think i found out why im getting voices. the orion amps have a feature that allow you to chain amps. 'copy' basically copies what the previous amp is doing, or in this case, for this amp, what the CD player is doing. 'gain' allows you to adjust all chained amps to the gain of the 1st amp, or master amp. and 'master' allows you to adjust the chained amps via the master amps gain and crossover. i had the amp on 'copy', so it was copying nothing, well the deck i guess, and the next attempt will be to set it at master and see if the amps's crossover works better, which i am betting it will. still gonna look into a crossover or EQ for the final system though.
brian
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 AM

internal crossovers in amps usually aren't the best, so you may want to go with an external crossover... if you can, match components with whatever you have. If you're HU is a Kenwood, go kenwood, alpine and alpine...and so forth. Good luck! Audiocontrol 2XS works just great!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:28 AM

thanks for the help. im running a powerless eclipse HU and adire midbass and adire components (when released). im thinking im gona go the audiocontrol route when i get an eq/crossover. im still debating which to get, in terms of EQ or crossover...
brian
Old 10-10-2002, 10:49 AM

OOOO...eclipse...they sound GORGEOUS!! Congratulations....

In terms of crossover or EQ...why not get both in one unit? Audiocontrol makes a few nice pieces, such as the EQX and Four.1 that handle both crossover points and Equilization. Kicker also makes the IQ900 that does this as well. Alpine makes the ERE-G180 and i'm sure kenwood has like two pieces as well. Having one of these units that has both in one creates less footprints and makes for a cleaner signal with less chance for interference to enter the system...good luck!!

Take care,
Tim