Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

reg. box vs. t-top box

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 05:35 PM

reg. box vs. t-top box

I currently just got 2 Mtx 12's in a reg. box (15 in. x 13 in. x 36 in.)

Well the box was too big to fit in the t-top spot or in the hatch area so I was forced to fold down the back seat and put them there. Well I didn't like that too much so I flipped them around and forced them into the hatch area. I still couldn't fold the seat back up but I didn't mind it that much noone never rode back there anyways and I could place my amp there and be able to backlight it with some neon under the part where the box stuck out. This made them sound the best/felt more bass than any other way I placed them too.

Well I was happy with them until today, I parked the z for the winter so took them out and put them in my dad's pt because he'd been wanting a system but didn't want to spend the $ if after a while he got tired of it. So I tought this would be the perfect time for him to test it out, then if by spring he changed his mind no big deal I'd just take them out, but if he liked it then I'd give him mine and for my b-day I'd be able to get something better. Well as soon as got hooked up I tried them out. What was this? They sounded 100x better than in the z!! They were hitting wayyyyy harder too. I could feel my hat/watch/even my feet for some reason! vibrating, whereas in the z; I'd been lucky if my rear-view mirror shook even a little bit. (just alot of interior noise crap) anyways I had done nothing to the settings on the amp and it was still using the rca's from my z's Hu (they are really long like 25 ft or sumthin). So I'm guessing here but I figure that since to pt has more interior space it gives the waves time to develop whereas in the z it doesn't have much room.

So finally heres my question: Would spending the extra $ to get a t-top box ($130+ is outrageous to me thats more than I gave for my whole system!!) considerably improve the subs or is there not a big change in sound from a reg. box placed in the hatch area to a t-top box?
Old 11-03-2002, 06:52 PM

Make your own box to fit into the t-top area. Make a seperate enclosure for each sub and port each one. This will make a solid built and very loud enclosure. Make sure you use MDF for wood and glue to put it together. And you might even consider putting dynamat on the inside of the box if you are 100% sure it's air tight.

Last edited by BigTymer; 11-03-2002 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:42 PM

Re: reg. box vs. t-top box

You will notice a huge difference in total output. The biggest advantage of the hatch in our cars is to use it to amplify the sound waves from bass notes. This is why those types of boxes are typically louder than the boxes that face forward or straight up. Even bass from a stealthbox is enhanced due to the location of the box. But on the otherhand, if your not into spending money on a good system (130 for a whole system ) then you should try building a box yourself as suggested.

But in my opinion, a well box like the ones I make for example would definately be worth it simply because it's proven. It fits, it looks good, and it pounds like a mo fo and I have hundreds of guys who would agree.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the input everyone....looks like I'll wait and see how much $ I can come up with over the winter....and how my friends box turns out (hes buying a t-top one so I can hear the difference between the 2)

And as for the 130 for the whole system thing....got the 12" Mtx thuunder 5000's for 100 (brand new was only supposed to get 10's but they guy didn't know what he had and I ended up with 12's...kinda wish now they were 10's so I could fit them in the t-top area) and I got the amp given to me to use until I get some $ gathered up to buy the one I want. Then my sis's cd player went out and she gave it to me since she got a new one anyways so I got that working so I guess it helps to know dumb people/have good friends.