Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Subs are 'slapping' when hatch is open, whats gives?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 08:56 PM

Subs are 'slapping' when hatch is open, whats gives?

well the next hurdle has arrived. i finally sealed up my subthump box all great and the subs were sounding great. at the HUGE dyno day we had all my buds wanted to hear my setup, so i put in a nice bassy song and had the subs excurisoning about an inch, which was damn loud. my buddy wanted to take some vid of it with the hatch open so i said sure. well, i pop the hatch and teh subs (both) sound like they are 'slapping' a but. i cant think of a better word to describe it. they arent bottoming out, or at least they arent making that type of noise. the car is a 96 Z28, box is a 3 cubic foot sealed rear well box. amp is an Orion XTRPRO 2400 and the subs are adire audio brahmas. the weird thing is is that is DOES NOT HAPPEN when the hatch is closed, or at least i cant hear it. the subs are tight and clean and loud when the hatch is closed. does it have something to do with the hatch being open? what gives here? ill try and stick my head next to the sub to try and hear it but the bass is so loud that i cant hear much else that close to the subs. any help would be great.
brian
Old 10-22-2002, 09:53 PM

2 very common things can cause this, one obvious and one not so obvious.

1. Lead slap, it happens on a LOT of high excursion subs.

2. small leak in the box, people can't believe that it is actually the cause of this "bap bap bap" sound untill they take the time to seal it up right and it goes away, And don't forget to make a good seal around the perimeter of the sub!!!!
Old 10-22-2002, 10:01 PM

oops, just read that they are the Brahmas, couple things can cause this sound to varying degrees.

1, the little rubber band around the leads may have slid causing it to be worse than normal.

2. at high excursions the leads can tap the spider. This is fixed on the newest model but if you have an older model and if you are dis satisfied you can send them back if you are the original owner... or you can fix the problem yourself for just a couple dollars (cheaper than shipping costs) by using spray on adhesive to attach a small piece of felt where the leads tap the spider.

3. A TON of owners have a problem with tiny leaks in the box. As i have said before high excursion subs can make a NASTY sound if the box is not properly sealed...
Old 10-22-2002, 10:11 PM

rthompson-thanks for the reply. the brahmas i have had for about 2 months. i ordered them on the 27th of august and they got here early september. is this within the timeframe you are talking about? i have an email into adire tech support so maybe they can help. what is the method to repair them exactly? not all that familiar with the subs, where are the leads and spider? also, will these problems occur ONLY when the hatch is open, i.e. i can bump them at full excursion with the hatch closed and they will be fine or is it something i NEED to fix to maximize sound/spl/etc?
thanks a lot man,
brian
BTW, do you post on fbodyaudio.com at all?
Old 10-23-2002, 11:13 AM

Dude, don't do it!!

Most subs need a good enclosure and air pressure(i.e. cars interior) to work properly. When you open the trunk with your subs playing at volume, you lose the air pressure and change the environment your subs were playing in. This will damage the subs due to "over-excursion" or the slapping sound you are hearing. I do not recommend that any sub be played in this manner at a high volume.
B.J.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:13 AM

Re: Dude, don't do it!!

Originally posted by LS1346CID
Most subs need a good enclosure and air pressure(i.e. cars interior) to work properly. When you open the trunk with your subs playing at volume, you lose the air pressure and change the environment your subs were playing in. This will damage the subs due to "over-excursion" or the slapping sound you are hearing. I do not recommend that any sub be played in this manner at a high volume.
B.J.
So, with that thinking, are we not supposed to play subs loud with the windows down? Not being a smartass, just curious.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:01 AM

Re: Dude, don't do it!!

Damn Jesse.....dug this one up from the grave huh??
Originally posted by LS1346CID
B.J.
I don't know if LS1346CID is even active on this board anymore........ but if you are....are you really a "Professional Audio Installer/Fabricator"? If so... you should be ashamed of yourself. You got the right idea.... but for all the wrong reasons......
Old 01-05-2003, 01:29 PM

You can picture this a number of ways. With the hatch open, yes, the sub is definitely going to move more. Picture your closed hatch as having a shock absorber on your car; it rides smooth and under control. Opening your hatch is like removing the shock absorber from your car; your car bounces all over, out of control. As odd as this sounds, unless the box is absolutely PERFECT, this happens. Don't believe me? Try for yourself. Crank up your system as loud as it can play undistorted. Open the hatch. Listen to the subs.....

Your windows being down is OK because the subs are reflecting off of the rear hatch. What you are doing by having the hatch closed is building a horn type enclosure. When you open it, you just have the actual sub box.

Ryan
Old 01-06-2003, 07:44 PM

Re: Re: Dude, don't do it!!

Originally posted by firebirdude
Damn Jesse.....dug this one up from the grave huh??

I don't know if LS1346CID is even active on this board anymore........ but if you are....are you really a "Professional Audio Installer/Fabricator"? If so... you should be ashamed of yourself. You got the right idea.... but for all the wrong reasons......
I am still semi active on the board. Yes I am a Professional Installer and Fabricator. Why should I be ashamed? If the box is 100% perfect, the subs are 100% perfect, and the system is set up 100% correctly then you can run your subs with the hatch open-BUT WHY DO IT??
It is like pissing in the wind...Although, not everyone knows that ....That is why I keep my mouth shut most of the time and just let you guys make your own mistakes(most of the same mistakes I have seen in the past 15 years installing and showing)......