Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

69 Z-28 instruments

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 04:32 PM

Question 69 Z-28 instruments

In my 69 Z-28 the instruments in the dashpanel have been changed by previous owners. I have a question regarding the stock setup. My Z-28 is a simple cleen one, no extra options like RS or extra instruments on the floor.

It has a tachometer as Z-28s is supposed to have. But I wonder where did the fuelgauge go. Did all Z-28s have the fuelgauge in the center instead of the clock? I mean if you had the tachometer option the clock would end up above the steeringcolumn.

In my car there is a VDO clock in the center and I would like to know if it should be a fuelgauge instead. If somebody knows I would be very grateful.

Thanks

------------------
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
Old 06-24-2002, 09:16 PM

If the car has the factory installed tachometer and no center console, then it should have the center fuel gauge. Are you sure it's the original tach in the car and not one that was added? Not all Z28's had the tachometer. That wasn't a mandatory option until later in the year.

------------------
Jeff H - 69 Z28 Hugger Orange, GM crossram, GM fiberglass cowl induction hood, factory TI setup & factory installed JL8 4 wheel disc brakes - original #'s matching and documented, being restored), 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo
Old 06-25-2002, 01:44 AM

Wink

I really don't know. but I guess so. It was rolling of the line the third week of May 1969 according to the body plate. And by then they all should have tachs, right?

It has no extra options as I mentioned so it could have been without tach if it wasn't delivered as such.

It now has the cowl induction hood but that has been added in '93 by a previous owner that restored the body after it had been dragraced with hole in the hood and gutted rear fenders.

You can see it here:
http://homepage.mac.com/jannes/

Thanks

------------------
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
Old 06-25-2002, 10:21 PM

I was just checking my 69 Z28 book by Jerry MacNeish and he comments in the book that at no time was the tachometer a mandatory option. The tachometer by itself with the center fuel gauge is extremely rare. Most cars got the console/gauge package. What is the redline of your tach and is the tach a 7000 or 8000 rpm tach?

------------------
Jeff H - 69 Z28 Hugger Orange, GM crossram, GM fiberglass cowl induction hood, factory TI setup & factory installed JL8 4 wheel disc brakes - original #'s matching and documented, being restored), 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo
Old 06-26-2002, 02:19 AM

Arrow

Well, in my case it is not a Z-28 tach, it is a 396 tach. So it is very probable that this car have gotten the tach after it was delivered. It has had a long and varying life over the years. It came to Sweden in 1973 as many musclecars did back then. After the oilcrisis the Americans didn't want heavy gas guzzlers and we bought them happily over here.

My car is said to have had the present 396 in it when it came over here. So probably its original 302 had broke and been replaced.

It has been dragraced during the eighties and after that been restored to quite good standard. The interior is still the original except the carpet that I changed this year. The doorpanels need change but they are OK anyway. The problem is loudspeaker holes that have been covered. The seats are OK except a small crack in the driverseat. So in total it is a good car.

My intentions is to keep it in a good shape, not as restored to original (since the engine is changed, and I like Big Blocks) but to a standard as a modified Z-28 could have looked in 1975-1980.

Thanks

------------------
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
Old 06-26-2002, 04:26 AM

Does your cowl tag have the Z28 codes? Perhaps it was a SS396 that someone hung Z emblems on, then you really have something

------------------
Texlurch - 68 Camaro (Just a little ol' LT1 with a Hot Cam, I SWEAR
" a little spray never hurt anyone, spank you very much!"
or the old standby:"I came here to race, not sell real estate. You ain't scared, is ya?"
Old 06-26-2002, 04:45 AM

Yes it is an X77 code on it.

You can also tell that the 302 has been replaced withthe 396 since it uses the small block mounts, i.e the engine is not offseted 1 inch to the passenger side. The heater hose inlets are also small block.

------------------
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
-----------------
1969 Camaro Z-28 Cortez Silver with 396 BigBlock