Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

how much

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 10:59 PM

Question how much

I've been looking at f-body's and was wondering how much a first gen would cost to buy and get it running really nice?
Old 06-22-2002, 11:21 AM

Wink

About as much as you want it to cost?!

Because 1st gens are the oldest, and considered real "classics", they are the most expensive to buy initially. I don't know if aftermarket parts (body parts - ie: fenders, doors, etc.) are more expensive than other generations (probably), but driveline parts shouldn't be too much (unless you want a #'s matching original car, then the price goes WAY up). However, if you just want a car that runs good, but you don't care if it's the "original" motor or tranny, etc., then building that stuff up doesn't have to cost much, and basically, you set your own budget and build accordingly.

I live near Toronto (Canada), and two years ago my dad and I bought a '73 Camaro that was brought up from California. We paid $3500 for the car which was "painted" primer grey, had complete interior, but no motor or transmission. At the same time, we could have bought a '69 Camaro that was in the same condition for $7500, so you can see the price difference to get a 1st gen vs a 2nd gen. However, if you want to buy a car that's already complete, depending on its condition, and how close to original it is, you can spend anywhere from ~$10-15,000 right up to $30,000 no problem.

Sorry, it's sort of a "generalized" answer, but I hope that helps a little.

------------------
1996 Sunfire coupe - 2.2L, M5 - performance mods?? Needs too many to list!!

1981 Z28 - sold Aug. 2000 - why? I don't know!
- 383 stroker, TH350 trans., 3.42 posi
Pics