Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

OBDII LT1 edit....controlling detonation/pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 AM

OBDII LT1 edit....controlling detonation/pinging?

Hi. I have been getting up to 10.x degrees of knock reatard at high RPMS but not audiable detonation. However, I can hear pinging/detonation around 1600-2600rpms, but for some reason...i never get any knock when its happening. I have new knock sensor and Autotap..so its OK. So, my question is...What table should I use to take some timing out of so that my knock sensor quits taking it out? Also, do you think its a good idea to O out, or greatly reduce the amount of timing that the knock sensor can pull? All I want is to get rid of this damn detonation problem. I would be willing to upload a copy of my .LT1 file...if anyone wants to view it and see if they can visually see any problems. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:00 PM

Is it a modified tune? You can email it to me and I'll take a look at it.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:13 PM

Why take timing out and detune performance ?
rather then tuning the knock circuit and tables to get proper AFR ?
Also is it your injectors are too small under high engine load causing fuel trims to be too lean and not beiing able to maintain the fuel needs at that time.
Via scanner see if your PE or WOT AFR is tuned properly.
Could your fuel delivery system be too small, plugged fuel filter, weak fuel pump or clogged injectors.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:35 PM

Madwolf...sent you mail again. Thanks for taking a look.

ZR1...I am just tring to get rid of the detonation first to make sure it is what I think it is. That was the quickest way i knew of to do it. I am not a professional(working on it, lol) and didnt really think of any other ways to do it at the time. I did not have intentions of keeping my car like that...only to see if that gets rid of it. I will keep all that in mind when I am retuning it. It sounds a lot better than reducing my timing. As for my injectors and fuel....I dont think my injectors would be stuggling cause other than all the bolt ons and rr and springs...I dont have tons for power running all the time. When I spray its perfectly fine. My fuel filter is new and i have a constant 38psi at idle and about 44 when you hammer it. I do have an inline fuel pump for the nitrous kit that always running...of course.

In about a week (when my PCM is back)...Ill redo an autotap log and have it to upload to anyone who has autotap to view it. Or, Ill post the numbers and you guys can tell me what the hell is going on. For now...ill just think of options. Let me hear them if you got em. Thanks

Last edited by n2oTransAmLT1; 05-11-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:44 PM

you said when you spray its fine, but that is when the PSI shoots up to 90 PSI to add additional fuel. Which is good and bad.

It is good because it needs more fuel and seems like your getting enough on the bottle.

It is bad because of the stock injectors do not like that kind of pressure and are likely to fail and lock up. Also for the above expalination it seems like your not getting enough fuel.

What are your AFR when you get teh spark knock?
Old 05-14-2003, 08:02 PM

Do you have autotap...I have a file you can view and you tell me how low on fuel i am. My O2s have been very low like down to the 30s and as high as 800s. Ill email you the files if you have autotap to view it.