Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Eibach Drag launch vs V6 springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:04 AM

Well i'm definately gonna have to pat attention to my suspension this summer. To keep this on topic i am definately choosing the Drag Launch springs over the V6 springs simply because the V6 springs just seem like the easy way out like was said above.

That ride height doesn't sound that bad, i was expecting worse (a much higher stance). I'm not at all concerned with my cornering or anything like that, i dont plan on doing 50mph around turns haha, just 125mph in a straight line

Mike
Old 12-11-2003, 04:48 PM

2 tenths off with drag launch springs and street tires? Not too bad...
Old 12-11-2003, 05:07 PM

If you are making enough horsepower to trap at 125 mph, I would suggest that the factory springs will be just fine in the rear. I would add an air bag in the right rear and, if you are on a budget, Competition Engineering rear shocks. Good shocks and springs on the front are a must.

Daren
Old 12-12-2003, 07:53 AM

Gump,
thanks for the reply, u raised and interesting point and i'd like to pick ur brain on it a bit. First off, I'm not totally sure what my motor will do (new rebuild), all i know is that it will trap between 125-130mph, i won't really know until i get out to the track, i am getting about 625hp at the crank.. Now, i am concentrating very heavily on suspension, so far i have a Spohn Torque Arm, Lakewood LCA's, 9" rear with 4:11's.. As for Springs/Shocks i am looking for feedback wherever i can get it, doing alot of reading. I do intend on getting an airbag for the passenger side rear, Hal/QA1 12-way adustable's, Eibach Drag Launch springs (so far..)..

I went down to Norwalk, Ohio and ran into a guy with a Super Stock 96 Camaro Z28, he was running mid 10's in the 1/4 and and made a point to pick his brain and ask him all i could about his car, he was running QA1's all around, and the drag launch springs all around. Which is why i thought to copy, what do u think? Why stick wiht the stockers in the rear? (this is new to me)

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by OrangeIROC; 12-12-2003 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:00 PM

On my Stock Eliminator cars I have experimented with a lot of different springs and different shock settings.
In all cases the right rear liked a stiffer spring and about 15 psi in the air bag. I currently have a six cylinder spring on the drivers side on both cars. This is mainly because that spring doesn't see much load and the cars leave straight without any rebound. I probably wouldn't do it on a street driven car.
I have run with and without a rear sway bar. I find that the run is a lot smoother with one installed.
The rear shocks are usually set at about 5 clicks from zero.
On the front I have Hal shocks and springs. I tried a lot of springs and these worked best. I usually have the front shocks set really loose (0-1 click). If you get to doing big wheel stands stiffen them up.
One thing to make sure of is that your LCA's don't work against your torque arm, putting the suspension in a bind. If you set the rear shocks on zero the rear suspension should move freely through all points of travel when you bounce it up and down.

I am in no way the expert on this stuff, but this is what works on my cars.

Good Luck,

Daren
Old 12-13-2003, 01:45 AM

Very very interesting and very helpful Gump, very much appreciated. I will take all that into consideration. I guess i will just have to do a trial and error with it to find out what works best especially since i've never played with this style suspension. I also have a 67 Camaro, pure drag car (10.61@126mph), backhalfed, ladder bars, the whole 9 yards but that is entirely a different setup. Not to mention my IROC is also a street toy (mostly for little cruising and car shows) So it will need to be setup as a street/strip car, but i am still in that ballpark with all we have discussed.

I think i may try to keep the stock rear springs in for now (with the airbag or course), put the eibach front springs in, and get the HAL shocks at all 4 corners and go from there. Any other Shock recommendations?

Any other advice, comments, questions, answers greatly appreciated.

Mike