Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

roll cage questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 08:54 PM

Lightbulb roll cage questions

i was wondering if anybody has put a roll cage in there third gen? also wondering if theres any that lets you keep the back seat this is more for looks then safety and where can i get one?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:58 PM

I've got a 4 pt roll bar, that came with it from the factory. Don't think that what your looking for though.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:59 PM

nah looking for more like a 8 or 10 point
Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 PM

I doubt you're going to find an 8 or 10 pt cage that allows for the use of the back seat for storage of anything larger than a backpack. And an 8 or 10 pt cage wouldn't be a very good idea on the street without a number of other safety items.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
And an 8 or 10 pt cage wouldn't be a very good idea on the street without a number of other safety items. [/B]

why??

what safety items??
Old 02-06-2004, 10:13 PM

Someone with their own specific needs(looks in your case) can always have a full bar or cage made by any worthwhile metalcraft shop. Now if you wanted one that was actually safe and maybe even NHRA or SCCA Legal, you'll need to find someone who actually knows what they're doing.

*Dad mode on*

Putting ACTUAL people in your backseat is gonna be a BAD IDEA..Mmmmkay? Adding metal tubing on the inside of your car is dangerous enough in a street application, let alone stuffing some people in the backseat where they now have steel bars overhead, in front of, behind and maybe even under them. Accidentally hitting your head on a piece of steel is no good to start with but now imagine a traffic accident and the skull fractures and blood imvolved..

Anyone ready to buy 3 spare helmets for their buddies.. hehe Goodluck
Old 02-06-2004, 10:24 PM

Denny.

What point is the one that has the bars coming at an angle from roof to pedals? That you kind of have to step over to get in. 8+?

Anyone have any opinions/experience on Summit roll cages?

NOTE: Screw a cage, I'm just going to build a tube chassis.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by AutoRoc
[B] Now if you wanted one that was actually safe and maybe even NHRA or SCCA Legal
*Dad mode on*

Putting ACTUAL people in your backseat is gonna be a BAD IDEA..Mmmmkay? Adding metal tubing on the inside of your car is dangerous enough in a street application, let alone stuffing some people in the backseat where they now have steel bars overhead, in front of, behind and maybe even under them. Accidentally hitting your head on a piece of steel is no good to start with but now imagine a traffic accident and the skull fractures and blood imvolved..
it doesnt need to be safe or race legal

i dont plan to have anybody in the back seat but would like to keep the seat
Old 02-06-2004, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by 8_4_berlinetta_
it doesnt need to be safe or race legal

i dont plan to have anybody in the back seat but would like to keep the seat
Wow, safety is no longer a concern in an automobile.

As was already stated. If you were to get rear ended and your head and neck (and usually the back of the seat) were to meet violently with the 1.5 or 1.75 inch tube that your cage is made of, you will turn a minor traffic accident into a funeral. This also applies to a full cage with a halo (bar around the roof and across the windshied area) for a side impact. I did once have a full cage in my 1989 Formula as it was being built for track use only (road race) and was very concerned about the location of the various cage parts in relation to my head. I didn't consider that car to be safe for use with no helmet under any conditions and suggest strongly against a cage in a street car for that reason. Any 4 point cage that is properly installed will be close enough to your head to be extremely dangerous. If the cage is too far to the rear and you use 4 or 5 point harnesses you will give the harness extra room to stretch which could allow you to contact the steering wheel (possibly fatal). I don't want to sound like anyones parents, but I spend lots of time working the pits for a friends road race car, and am helping a friend construct another road race car currently as well. I've seen accidents and I've seen what a good cage and proper safety equipment can do (when used as intended). When it is not used as intended, the results can be as bad as they usually are good.

End rant.

Just trying to keep everyone alive to drive another day......
Old 02-06-2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by bmillington
I've got a 4 pt roll bar, that came with it from the factory. Don't think that what your looking for though.
Id like to see some pics of that.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by trackbird
[B]Wow, safety is no longer a concern in an automobile.

OK how would i go about making it safe??
Old 02-07-2004, 03:30 AM

i have a 6 pt. which would allow to keep the backseats had i wanted too. however i definately wouldn't let anyone sit back there.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:56 AM

Well, to make it safe, you'll need to have a certified professional install the thing so all the clearances are correct. And make sure he knows that the car will see street use so he can adjust for that. Make sure it's welded in and not bolted in. Don't plan to use the factory seat belts, upgrading to a harness is what will keep you planted in the seat and should keep you from flopping about in the car. That also needs to be professionally installed. Lots of foam on all metal surfaces that are within 10 inches of the passengers. Helmets, just incase your noggin does contact the foam covered metal bars in the car.

Don't forget, NHRA rules require the foam/harnesses to be certified and/or replaced every two years (I think it's two??).

Am I missing anything? It is early in the morning after all.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by 8_4_berlinetta_
OK how would i go about making it safe??
97WS6charged covered it pretty well.

But, to make it safe, you need to install it so that "you can't possibly hit your head on any part of the cage in an accident". This will require lots of space between you and the cage. In order to do that you will be limited to a 4 point (behind the seat, no halo and front bars) and even then you may have problems finding the reqired space (I've done this already, it is tight and if you have T-tops, it is real tight). If you use a 4 point, you will need to make sure you have seats that are strong enough to live through a rear impact without collapsing (the stock F-body seats from 3rd and 4th gen cars are not strong enough). Recaro makes a few that are probably as good as it will get as far as strength goes.

Foam padding is a nice thought. But, most of that padding is designed to cushion the blow to a helmet and is still extremely hard. Too hard to hit with an unprotected head (some of the SFI rated foam is hard enough that you could probably knock someone out by hitting them with a stick of it).

the best advice I can give you, if you is to not install a cage until the car and the track require it. If you still want to install one. My next advice is to work with a professional and advise them that the car is for street use and let them try to get you the proper clearance between the cage and you.

Also, once the cage is in, the back seat becomes extra weight, you may as well toss it (less chance of someone winding up sitting back there, which is way too close to all that tubing).

My thoughts.

Be safe!
Old 02-08-2004, 02:42 AM

u can get a cage from summit that has to be welded in to the car , and it has to be welded togethor so if u wanted to leave a bar out u could i see what u were tring to acheave and i am doing the same thing it sells for about 150 i have the part # 8 pt is cee-3130. i am going with the 8 because it is less congestion window also check these out might help http://www.lmperformance.com/3151/7.html
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/roll_cages

Last edited by c1989rs; 02-08-2004 at 03:00 AM.

Quick Reply: roll cage questions