Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

B&M Tranny Cooler 94Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:46 AM

Exclamation B&M Tranny Cooler 94Z

Hi All

Time for the Next Mod. I bought a B&M Cooler from Thunder Racing, talked to the Techs over there and they told me disconnect the Upper Tranny Line going into the Radiator and connect that into the Cooler line, run the Return Line form the Cooler to the Old Spot on the radiator where i disconnected the First tranny Line.

It seemed ridiculously easy for a novice such as my self. I followed the instructions from ThunderRacing, but did not Hook any lines together yet. My concern is the way it seems the Rubber Tubing Bends once the Cooler is mounted in front of the condenser. It seems they almost have to bend at 90 Degree or greater turns back to the Radiator (Out Line from the Cooler in particular). Is this Right? the Return Line has to then go into the Brass barbed Connector to the Old spot on the Radiator (Upper Position on the Radiator). This two seems to bend in a hazardous manner? the Connection sticks out about inch and a half if not a little more to be in position to slip the return hose onto it?

How Did any one else install this Cooler, Specifically the B&M Cooler Part Number 70255. I feel the need to put some kind of protector on the hoses to keep them from Crimping. I'm a Novice so maybe i am bring over Cautious.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:10 AM

Re: B&M Tranny Cooler 94Z

did the hose seem to kink any where it bends? if no, you should be fine
Old 09-23-2005, 11:12 AM

They have an awesome tranny tech section here. You should post it in there. Is this the supercooler? I'm thinking of getting the one with the fan.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:26 AM

No it didnt Kink when i put the lines into position, I just figure Heat+time, some where along the way it would be inevitable. Yes this is the Supercooler. After Puting in the the B&M Deep Tranny pan, i figured this couldnt hurt either? Any one know how much additoiinal tranny oil is needed? After the Tranny pan, the Z took about 7 1/2 Quarts. I guess with a cooler it would take atleast another 1 1/2 quart giving me 9 Qts in the Z? is that right?

I'll cross post over in the Tranny Section and see what i get over there as well. Being a Novice is a sucky place to start, why couldnt god have made me a Z 28 Expert from birth!!1 damn this accursed world....
Old 09-23-2005, 11:37 AM

Thor1212 you're absolutly right, I had the cooler in my car since 1997 and it's just leaked this year on that 180* bend on the hose that goes from the radiator to the cooler. It'll be great if braided lines can be fixed instead of the rubber hose, but I couldn't find any fitting that compatable with the one on the radiator that is 5/16 reverse flared or somethin like that.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:40 AM

Exclamation Re: B&M Tranny Cooler 94Z

Ya, that's what i figured, that time and Heat will wear those hoses out, so i am looking at some kind of re-inforcement for the hoses, like getting the protective springs for garden hoses or the PVC protection i saw at Home Depot for Garden hose Systems. I wish i could find braided covers or hoses long enough for the wrap around from the cooler to the radiator. thanks for the help.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

DO NOT use rubber line for the cooler. I have seen 3 cars burnt to the ground from a ruptured rubber cooler line.(it sprays all over the engine and hot headers) I would at least use the blue fuel line from aeroquip. I have braided lines but mine run from the tranny to the cooler and back.
I know that people will say that it is used all the time and comes in the kit, but after ya see people loose their cars it sinks in.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
DO NOT use rubber line for the cooler. I have seen 3 cars burnt to the ground from a ruptured rubber cooler line.(it sprays all over the engine and hot headers) I would at least use the blue fuel line from aeroquip. I have braided lines but mine run from the tranny to the cooler and back.
I know that people will say that it is used all the time and comes in the kit, but after ya see people loose their cars it sinks in.
I seen one rupture on a Corvette. Do you have a link to the lines you have?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:58 PM

I thought they were kinda flimsy as i looked at the hoses, but this is one of those "one size fits all" kits, so i guess that's why it is in there. I'm gonna find something at Ace Hardware or Home Depot to cover the Hoses, unless i can find a good brad of Braided somewhere? I cant find the Blue Line Link, have ya Got a Link for us???
Old 09-23-2005, 01:22 PM

Thik he used this:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
It's fuel line but should work with trany fluid is it's rated for high press/temps.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thor1212
I thought they were kinda flimsy as i looked at the hoses, but this is one of those "one size fits all" kits, so i guess that's why it is in there. I'm gonna find something at Ace Hardware or Home Depot to cover the Hoses, unless i can find a good brad of Braided somewhere? I cant find the Blue Line Link, have ya Got a Link for us???
http://www.hydraulic-supply.com/html...d/aeroquip.htm

There are several more hose manufacturers,do an on line search for fuel lines and fittings.

Ya can get fittings to go from the tubing on the cooler to AN fittings to use the screw on AN fittings.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 09-23-2005 at 01:59 PM.