Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Blown seal in tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 11:58 PM

Blown seal in tranny?

On my way home from the track last weekend and as i shifted into 2nd i heard a loud pop sound... there was then some weird noises almost like static on a radio coming from the floor above the tranny...when i get home the back of my car was totally covered in tranny fluid and seemed to be leaking slowly from the point where the driveshaft enters the back of the tranny... the next day i got underneath and didnt see anything else leaking and have not had any problems since... I recently put a new rearend and U joints in... someone suggested that because i did not have the driveshaft "balanced" i could have worn away the seal around the input shaft... Anyone have any ideas? could it be a seal? how easy/expensive would it be to replace
Thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2004, 06:08 AM

Re: Blown seal in tranny?

You did fill the tranny back up with fluid right??

To check the rear seal wont be too hard. Just take the driveshaft out, then remove the rear part of the case from the tranny and inspect everything in there. The tailshaft part of the tranny has its own section of case so you really shouldnt even have to take the tranny out. Might have to drop the crossmember to get the tranny down some and give you more room though.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:31 AM

I hope it didn't stop leaking because there was no fluid left!!!!

If you replace the rear seal(1.49 at autozone) make sure you use a big socket about the diameter of the seal to tamp it on(i forget what size), and put some trans fluid on your finger and wipe it around the rubber seal...
Old 10-09-2004, 12:17 AM

ok i havent gotten underneath to really inspect it yet(its been too damn cold) but im pretty sure thats my problem... would the driveshaft being "unbalanced" have been the cause to the seal goin or is there some other reason...