Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

BULLET PROOF 10 BOLT? You be the judge!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 PM

Car is still in the shop waiting for the replacement motor to arrive.

My brother-in-law is still running strong in his 349 RWHP Dyno'd 99 TransAm M6. He took it to the track this past weekend and ran 8.19 in the 1/8th mile with slicks and still hasn't blown it up. He beats on his car even harder than I do but he's got a stick and I've got an auto so his is even harder on the rear end.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Well after debating about going after a 9" or doing this, I leaned in favor of strengthing the stocker. I just bought 4 QA1 chromemoly rod ends and some threaded tube that fits it. I will fab up some brackets for my TA cover and for the axle tubes. I plan on taking a bunch of pictures and detailing all the parts needed to make it work. I have a mildly modded 99 Z that is the guinea pig for this project. Its putting down 380 at the rear wheels so nothing drastic. But I am on the 5th one.. So.. we will see what happens!
-Jeff
Old 05-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by pwirch
Some updates since I jumped back on here. It's holding up great. I've been having a blast, beating on it and it's been fine. I started a strange loss of power issues so I took the car to the shop and had them look it over. Thanks to my squealing a/c compressor we couldn't hear the rod bearing ticking. Put it up on the dyno to check the tune and pulled 430rwhp when the bottom end let loose. The 10-bolt is still going strong but the bottom of the motor is done. We tracked down a guy he knew with a Z06 short block with 20k on it and it will be on it's way to the shop tomorrow. The guy just swapped to a 408 so wasn't going to use it. $500 (Smokin deal) and it's mine. We'll swap the new top end over from the LS1 and be back in business in a week or so. Also ditching the a/c while we're at it.
I was going to express my condolences, but as I kept reading I realized congrats were in order. Nice score! You may break that axle yet! Smokin' deal yeah, as in what was he smokin' when he priced it? Egads!

The car gods are thanking you for sharing the axle info. Helping >>> good karma. (That's how Earl would explain it anyway).
Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 PM

this is def. very interesting, seeing as how my Camaro is mostly street driven and paying 2K for a 12 bolt is just not in the cards.

Good write-up and info guys!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenBabyZ
this is def. very interesting, seeing as how my Camaro is mostly street driven and paying 2K for a 12 bolt is just not in the cards.

Good write-up and info guys!
I suppose Ive lurked in here long enough already. That statement is why Ive been following this thread so long. Im convinced of it enough that I may go take a welding class so I can do this myself. What kind of welding is that?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:07 AM

I used a Miller MIG 175 gas welder. Relatively inexpensive welder if you are into more serious fabrication. Any 110v Welder will do this job though. I build Jeep parts, chassis, bumper, parts .. all kinds of parts that get up to 3/8" thick steel and it works beautifully. This has definitly proven to be a good alternative to a 12-bolt. Inexpensive and very stout. There is some time involved in putting it together but it's well worth it.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SSlither
How much time did it take you? Regardless, worth it over a 2k 12-bolt!
I did two of them in about 4 hours, including changing the diff covers and redoing al the fluid. If you aren't an experienced welder then I'd take a little more time and pull the axles so you don't overheat the fluid in the axles and warm the shaft or tube. Not that hard to do if you super heat the oil. That would maybe turn a 2 hour job into 3 hours tops.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 PM

seriouse question, if i come and give you 1200 would you build me one of those rears? lol
Old 05-16-2007, 06:33 AM

If you bought the parts and brought it out I'll help you put it together. I'm building a 40'x60' shop in Pembroke, NY right now. Should be done in about 5 weeks. I'm moving my lift and all my equipment there. Still a haul for you though since you're down by NYC.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 AM

Thats not too far from me. What kind of stuff are you going to be doing?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:58 PM

really? haha hey man im 17, got nothing but time. haha right now my cars almost stock so the stock rear with 4:10s should suffice. this winter a moderatly built 355 is going in. if your still around i may take you up on that offer, throw you a few bucks as well
Old 05-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by sn8ke eatr
haha right now my cars almost stock so the stock rear with 4:10s should suffice.

Yeah i remember thinking that at one point also... i believe it was 3 rear-ends ago...
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 PM

hahaha this is true and ive heard that more then once. seems like the 10 bolt is half luck.. hope i got a lucky one haha
Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 PM

ttt for updates!

-B
Old 05-23-2007, 03:06 PM

I have bought all the parts i need to build up the rear end. I just picked up a spare rear end housing. I am going to have it sandblasted and then i will weld on all the brackets and such. My friend is doing the alumnium welding for me, as i do not have the experience with it. I will get a parts list made up as soon as i have it all together and i know it all fits. I have not finished the mock up, because i am waiting for my cover to be finished getting welded.
-Jeff

Quick Reply: BULLET PROOF 10 BOLT? You be the judge!