Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Here's how to keep ABS with a aftermarket rearend.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:28 PM

Re: Here's how to keep ABS with a aftermarket rearend.

I would try moving the sensor in a little closer to the reluctor ring. I've never tested the ABS harness to see if i has power while the car is running or if its only durning braking. I would look fire the car up and hit the brakes and have someone check the wiring on your sensor with a test light. This set up can and does work. I would just start at trouble shooting your wiring extension harness to see if there are good connections there. After that i would swap out sensors with someone else to make sure the sensor is still good then i would check the gap on the reluctor ring. I believe yours maybe a hair to far away but it probably should still work from there. Someone told me factory specs were only like .024in gap between the reluctor and sensor so thats what i set mine at. The first time i launched hard the tranny torqued to the side and the reluctor gear and sensor colided bending my bracket. After that i just hand bent it a little farther way probably 1/8th of a inch and now i've had no problems. My ABS still works perfect today.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:29 PM

By the way LS1power where did you get your ABS setup? from Craig at EC? if so i do you have a pic of it? I would like to see what it looks like considering i told him how to do this mod and sent him pics of my setup.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
By the way LS1power where did you get your ABS setup? from Craig at EC? if so i do you have a pic of it? I would like to see what it looks like considering i told him how to do this mod and sent him pics of my setup.
Craig sent me the ring only with no bracket!!!! After 13 weeks of waiting for the damn freaking rear end. It was a big mistake doing business with Craig, but i learned a valuable lesson. DONT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH A ONE GUY SHOP. I will try to get pictures when the thing is done...We will try closing the gap between the ring and the sensor to .125 and see what happens. If you do have pictures of yours please send it to me.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:25 AM

I don't have any pics of my setup right now but lots of people have been asking for some pics. I'm at college right now but after finals are over i'll get some pics of my setup.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:19 PM

We are still having problems making the ABS work even with .125 inch between the ring and sensor. We really dont know what could be the problem. How hard is it to switch a 3 channel ABS car to a 4 channel ABS since my rear end is 4 channel?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:29 PM

I would just start at trouble shooting your wiring extension harness to see if there are good connections there. After that i would swap out sensors with someone else to make sure the sensor is still good then i would check the gap on the reluctor ring.
Did you check the wiring and the sensor? No matter how perfect the gap is its not gonna work if you don't a working wiring harness or sensor.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:31 PM

Did you check the wiring and the sensor. No matter how perfect the gap is its not gonna work if you don't a working wiring harness or sensor.
The wiring and sensor should be fine since it was working before. The thing has 14K miles on it only.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
The wiring and sensor should be fine since it was working before. The thing has 14K miles on it only.
There is no way the stock ABS wiring harness can make it up to the tail shaft. I assume you had to extend it.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:33 PM

There is no way the stock ABS wiring harness can make it up to the tail shaft. I assume you had to extend it.
Yes it is extended. Its a 28-29 teeth ring and i have 25inch tires and 3.73 gear. Everything should work together right?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:37 PM

Yes everything should work fine. I would look at your extender harness first. Make sure its getting power to the sensor.
I'm heading home from college to my home town. I'll be there in about 30-45 mins. If you want to hit me up on AOL. My name is there is cj428mach. I can try to help you with it. I also try to get some pics of my setup.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:39 PM

Yes everything should work fine. I would look at your extender harness first. Make sure its getting power to the sensor.
I'm heading home from college to my home town. I'll be there in about 30-45 mins. If you want to hit me up on AOL. My name is there is cj428mach. I can try to help you with it. I also try to get some pics of my setup.
Pics would really help. Thank you.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
This is debatable!

Not fo me. I don't put FORD parts on my chevy, I don't care how cheap they are!!!!
when you snap and i win the race... tell me that again. i'l take my 9 inch over any 12 bolt
Old 12-17-2004, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
when you snap and i win the race... tell me that again. i'l take my 9 inch over any 12 bolt
Yeah that guys an idiot. I have a friend thats building a BBC all glass chevy II that he wants to run at least 7's on maybe 6's. He is running an aftermarket rear end but its based pretty much right off the 9inch.
I found the pic of my reluctor ring i had machined if anyone wants to see it. I don't have any pics of it installed. I will have to try to get them this weekend.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:21 PM

This is driving me crazy..... After checking the wires and sensor everything checked just fine. We did some reading with TechII. We rolled at 50 mph, both sensor read within 1 mph of each other 90% time were dead on Only time it ever fluctuated was taking off form a stop sometimes it would be 2-3 mph off. Im wondering if the bracket is moving under that load, or if the transmission mount may be beat up a little and the trans if flexing? What do u think guys??? I NEED THE ABS.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:59 PM

I'm sorry its fricken 10 degrees here in ks so i haven't worked on my car yet or gotten pictures. I will change my oil this weekend and snap a pic then.

Quick Reply: Here's how to keep ABS with a aftermarket rearend.