Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Higher stall torque converter questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 04:43 PM

Higher stall torque converter questions.

Been reading up on torque converters in general, still got a few questions about em, thinking about getting a custom one done by someone local, who sends them out all over the country, looking for something about 2500-2600. Still wondering how a higher stall converter will help the motor idle better, does it just idle better in gear or any idle situation? That and the only bad thing I dont think i'll like is having to rev it up 2600 when trying to accelerate just to get it to move, will I actually have to rev it that high or will it probaly be close to that.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:12 PM

I have a 3600 yank converter, you don't have to rev it up to the stall speed to get it to move. The best way I could describe it is that you don't get the motors full power until the stall speed. It feels kind of loose till you hit that certain rpm range then it "catches" and you feel like you have full power at that rpm. also when the car downshifts it doesn't go below the stall speed and when it is upshifting it seems to stay higher in the rpm range. Kind of tough to explain maybe someone else can give a better explanation. As far as the idle goes, my idle really didn't change. I don't really know what you are meaning by the idle changing? Hope that helps...
Old 01-25-2004, 05:20 PM

1st of all 2500-2600 is extrememly mild....You'll want much more....basically how it helps u is you can launch outta the hole from a higher rpm and it does help u get into the powerband quicker from a roll...Id suggest something in the area of 3000-3500..I slapped myself every launch at the track for going w/ a 2600 stall
Old 01-25-2004, 05:23 PM

Well from what I'v been reading, is that a higher stall will slip more, so you'll have to rev it a little higher, from what i'm understanding? The stock stall speed is 1800 and you dont really have to rev it till 1800 to get it too move, but i'm not sure what it'll be like with something in the 3k range, probably will get annoying? And from what I'v been reading is that a higher stall converter will help the motor idle better, but nothing mentioned how or why?
Old 01-25-2004, 05:35 PM

Mine stalls at 4,200. I wouldn't reccommend that high for a car that sees a lot of use in traffic.

Rich Krause
Old 01-25-2004, 05:55 PM

my 2800 PI stall is very mild, it still tries to roll forward at stop lights at idle, pulling out is almost like stock, it will only brake torque to 2000rpms before it starts to spin the tires.

i wish i would have went with a 3200-3400 stall

jesse
Old 01-25-2004, 06:05 PM

I understand that I can launch at a higher rpm, but I dont see .how it's gonna help much to stall higher unless you have a transbrake, if it'll only brake stall to 2k, or does it help that much once you get goin, that it'll actually slip till whatever rpm and really kick in. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:10 PM

What is ever one doing rpm wise in overdrive that has a 3000 or bigger stall cause i have one and mine is a 3200 and im alsos doing 3000.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:15 PM

$hawn I know what you are going through, I am thinking about going to a stall myself and still ain't really sure how they work and what to go with. I think the biggest benefit is the ones that multiply the torque as they engage. That makes sense to me. I have a lightly moded 97z and am thinking about a conveter or 373 gears. I do some highway driving so I thought the conveter is the way to go.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by $hawn
I understand that I can launch at a higher rpm, but I dont see .how it's gonna help much to stall higher unless you have a transbrake, if it'll only brake stall to 2k
When you floor your car off the line, your converter will flash to the stall speed. How high you can brake stall your car just shows how good of brakes and tires you have. When i launch my car at the track, i launch off idle and when i floor it the rpm's shoot up to a little over 3200.

As long as you get a lock up converter, your rpm will not be any higher when driving on the highway.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:08 PM

I wrote a little blurb on converters that people may find interesting. Go to www.kennedysdynotune.com and look at the menu on the left. Click on "Tech Tips" and follow the link to the article about torque converters.

A higher stall is not necessarily better. Determining the optimum stall for your combo is the key. That's why some of this discussion is not really on point. People aren't specifying much about their cars. The converter (for drag racing) is one that stalls at a bit below peak torque. This will require different converters for different motors.

Rich Krause
Old 01-25-2004, 08:18 PM

i just put a TCI Super Street Fighter 3500 stall in my truck and completely love it!!! I don't think I would go any higher or lower, it's perfect (LT4 conversion, LT4 hot cam, 1.6 rr), 3.73s, 245 50 16s. like everyone has said, you don't have to tach it up to the stall to get the vehicle moving. if you put about 1/4 throttle out there it will tach to about 2500-3000k rpms and sounds like a boat going through the gears, just a constant rpm. but as soon as you hit that loud pedal, holy ****!!! watch out!! that is the single best bolt on I have done to that truck, I love it!!! I also installed a trans go shift kit, so they work together extremely well. I got the torque converter from Brian @ www.texas-speed.com he posted over in the paying advertiser's torque converter GP thread.

Here's some pics from the recent wrench/cuss fest. Look at the difference in size of the converters, makes it a helluva lot faster taching up, almost scares you that it can wind up so damn fast now.

(Don't worry, that box of coastal ATF is just the box, it's all valvoline inside there...)
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...3e5d5ded&size=

(hehe, converter in the background, why won't anyone play with me?? :P )
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...746c3bea&size=

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...7ead62d1&size=

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...591560ce&size=
Old 01-25-2004, 08:20 PM

I have a Yank 3,800 in mine and it is just right for the motor in the car. to much for most

We have a 3,000 in the wifes daily driver and it is almost to much for a straight bolt on car to me.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:46 PM

Rich,
Awesome tech page! I have a 97 z with 52 mm throttle, ss ram air, elbow, emissions removed, mad wolf obd1 program, gutted cats with loudmouth, trans go, 323 gears what would be the best brand and stall for a fair price? Would I need a cooler? where do I go for that? Most driving is on highway but am looking to get a good run at a light and the ocassional tire smoke show. 200 miles a week about 20 weeks a year its driven.
Thanks for the help you guys rock!
Shawn McGregor
US Navy active duty for 20 plus years and still going strong!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:52 PM

Yeah, thats what I'm mainly worried about, is having to bring the rpms up to get it goin, so with about a 3k stall, it'll only come up around 2500? Anything real higher would have to get annoying though in traffic?. So If I go w/a custom one, what size and str should I pick.

Quick Reply: Higher stall torque converter questions.