Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

How can I tell if the CLutch fork isn't on right? What are the symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Old 12-04-2003, 04:30 PM

The clutch fork is either in or it's not. If you want too double check, remove the hydraulic unit underneath the car that's on the bellhousing and pull the fork out of the throw out bearing. If the fork is loose, than it's not engaged plus you would not have a clutch pedal working properly if it wasn't engaged. This just snaps in.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:32 PM

This should probably be posted in the drivetrain forum. But if you're clutch fork isn't on correctly, you won't be able to disengage your clutch. Due to that, you won't be able to shift gears either. What are your symptoms that lead you to suspect your clutch fork? The clutch fork is very easy to put on, if you felt it "click" into place on the TO bearing, its probably on there. I had a problem disengaging the clutch and dropped the trans and put it back in so I could double check my fork, only to find out I had the fork right the first time. After dropping the trans again, I took out the disc/pp and sent it back to the manufacturer, since I was at my wits end. Sure enough, they came back and refunded me, saying the disc was bent.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by LT1TONY
The clutch fork is either in or it's not. If you want too double check, remove the hydraulic unit underneath the car that's on the bellhousing and pull the fork out of the throw out bearing. If the fork is loose, than it's not engaged plus you would not have a clutch pedal working properly if it wasn't engaged. This just snaps in.
To add to what LT1TONY said, If you pull the release cylinder like he said, there will be some play to the fork (you can wiggle it with your hand) if its installed correctly. However, you won't be able to move the fork out of its position. But if its just loose and floppy, or if you can pull it out, its not on there.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

I was just asking because My CLuthc pedal is extremely loose. and I can shift the geats without engaging it. I but in a new Clutch Master and Slave kit and it was Factory bleed and a RE and RE bleed it to be double sure. IT was the slave was stiff and tight when I put it in I even had to use the nuts to get it to push in all the way when I installed it to the tranny. But...my Clutch pedal feels soft when I start the car up...now before I say anything else. My Driveshaft is not attached to my engine. The flywheel and everything is spinning and the tail of the transmission is spinning... but my clutch isn't effective at all. Even when I shift gears There seems to be no effect on the clutch system...The clutch fork can be moved back and forth with ease..but it doesn't woble around or anything...so I'm assuming it's engaged properly now. I'm wondering I'f I'm experienceing what I'm experiencing because since there's no Resistance on the transmission from the drive shaft.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:37 PM

I'm not really understanding you. First, lets make sure we have one thing straight: when your clutch pedal is depressed, your clutch is (should be) disengaged. When the pedal is up and your foot is off if it, your clutch is (should be) engaged.

Now that that's taken care of, are you saying that you are having difficulty shifting when the engine is running, even when you have the clutch fully depressed (disengaged)? Like it doesn't matter if your clutch pedal is in or out - its hard to shift either way? If that is the case, can you shift fine with the engine is off? If that is your situation, it is something with the disc. It could be bent, either from the factory or shipping, or you bent it installing the disc. Did you use a transmission jack? If you let the trans hang by the input shaft at all or had it at an angle, you could have bent the disc.

Also, did you tighten the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts to the proper torque, using a star pattern and tightening in small increments? Your pressure plate could be incorrecly clamped, which wouldn't allow the plate to release the disc.

Did you grease the pilot bushing and the smooth end of the input shaft (where it contacts the pilot bushing). If you didn't (or used a very very small amount) the input shaft could be sticking in the pilot bushing, so you are transferring torque through the input shaft instead of the clutch, removing your ability to disengage the engine from the transmission.

Those are some good things to think about and check. Let us know if this helps, or if I completely missed what you are saying. HTH
Old 12-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not having any dificulty shifting...the Transmission just doesn't respond when I shift the gears or push the clucth pedal in. It just remains at idle. I torqued the bolts percisely to spec and everything seems to be up to par...but I get no responce from the clutch or when I shift the gears...just wondering if it's because my driveshaft isn't installed. The shift lever moves the same as when the engine is off. Very freely no response like the car is at idle in every gear.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Moving to the Drivetrain forum...
Old 12-04-2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Heatmaker
I'm not having any dificulty shifting...the Transmission just doesn't respond when I shift the gears or push the clucth pedal in. It just remains at idle. I torqued the bolts percisely to spec and everything seems to be up to par...but I get no responce from the clutch or when I shift the gears...just wondering if it's because my driveshaft isn't installed. The shift lever moves the same as when the engine is off. Very freely no response like the car is at idle in every gear.
I'm still not completely understanding. Is the car in the air or on the ground? Are you trying to actually move the car, like drive it forward a few feet or back a few feet? Because the car wont do anything without the driveshaft in. If you have the car running in gear, with the clutch engaged, the output shaft will be spinning, and it won't stall, so you probably won't tell the difference between neutral and gears, since there's no load on the engine. The driveshaft only take 10 minutes to put in, go put the driveshaft in and that should take care of it.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 PM

I think we're all confused
Old 12-04-2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Compstall
I think we're all confused
Yeah what he said
Old 12-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

The cars in the air. I'm not done with the gear install.

I'm sorry if I confused you.

THe cars in the air with the driveshaft and rear completely taken out. Just the Engine is in the car.

1. Pedal is soft after the engine is turned on
2. Tranny has no response durring shifting
3. The output shaft spins in Neutral
4. I can shift the Transmission gears without touching the clutchat all.
5. THe Shifter can easily be moved
Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 PM

If the spinning output shaft has got you concerned, I wouldn't fuss to much about it. You have no load on it, and the thrashing of the oil in the tranny is probably causing it to spin. Heck, I used to have a 1968 Firebird that would register 30-40 mph standing still simply because moving oil would cause the speedo drive to spin.